Talion conversion to a talion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kratonage

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Im piecing together parts for a talion conversion. Has anyone done this and if so anything to note? :confused::rolleyes:

Im piecing together parts for a talion conversion. Has anyone done this and if so anything to note? :confused::rolleyes:

Can I ask what are you trying to accomplish with the conversation? As far as I know the biggest difference with the Kraton and talion are the diffs. The Kraton has a 10 tooth spiral vs talion (I believe) has a 13 tooth straight. The other noticeable difference is the hubs.the Kraton has a wider stance but that isn't a nessasry change as the wider stance will be more stable for speed runs. The other difference are obviously wheels and body. Hope that helps.

Can I ask what are you trying to accomplish with the conversation? As far as I know the biggest difference with the Kraton and talion are the diffs. The Kraton has a 10 tooth spiral vs talion (I believe) has a 13 tooth straight. The other noticeable difference is the hubs.the Kraton has a wider stance but that isn't a nessasry change as the wider stance will be more stable for speed runs. The other difference are obviously wheels and body. Hope that helps.
Been running my rig at a 1/8 buggy dirt track and wanna run wit dem competition rigs. Lol thanks for your feedback. Yeah i got most parts for the temporary*maybe* conversion just to experiment. :confused:

Been running my rig at a 1/8 buggy dirt track and wanna run wit dem competition rigs. Lol thanks for your feedback. Yeah i got most parts for the temporary*maybe* conversion just to experiment. :confused:

Ahhhh...that makes sense. The spiral vs the straight tooth counteracts the tire size difference. If you are looking to run with them I would probably go with a team durango center diff. I know there will be some mods needed since the cups are shorter but I believe the diff has a 48 tooth spur gear. You'll be able to get some more speed with that while keeping your Kraton diffs for more durability. Just a thought.

Ahhhh...that makes sense. The spiral vs the straight tooth counteracts the tire size difference. If you are looking to run with them I would probably go with a team durango center diff. I know there will be some mods needed since the cups are shorter but I believe the diff has a 48 tooth spur gear. You'll be able to get some more speed with that while keeping your Kraton diffs for more durability. Just a thought.
I have the talion front and rear diffs with the input shafts as well. Do you know if they will swap out with no mods?

I have the talion front and rear diffs with the input shafts as well. Do you know if they will swap out with no mods?

Yup. They will swap right out. All the diffs with the between the Senton, Typhon, Talion, Kraton, and the Outcast will swap right out. That is one of the beauties with the Arrma line up. You can swap many of the parts with one another and create your customer rc.

The Kraton is the only one with the spiral input shaft and main gear. As long as you got the complete diff with case and input shaft you should be good to go.

Yup. They will swap right out. All the diffs with the between the Senton, Typhon, Talion, Kraton, and the Outcast will swap right out. That is one of the beauties with the Arrma line up. You can swap many of the parts with one another and create your customer rc.
Awesome yeah thats why i absolutely love this brand and line up. Guys are amazed on the track that between my typhon, outcast and kraton *soon to be talion* that many of the parts are interchangeable and durable as heck. Theyve seen how many crashes ive had and cant believe that 9 times out of 10 it gets up and is:D ready for more.

Oh...wait a minute....the Outcast has the spiral gears too....

Awesome yeah thats why i absolutely love this brand and line up. Guys are amazed on the track that between my typhon, outcast and kraton *soon to be talion* that many of the parts are interchangeable and durable as heck. Theyve seen how many crashes ive had and cant believe that 9 times out of 10 it gets up and is:D ready for more.

Exactly! I truggified my Typhon (shout out to Rich D) by swapping out my hubs and towing on some 3.8 Badlands. I'm waiting on some cheap Kraton/Outcast diffs to pop up on Fleabay to swap out. I know they are less than $60 for the pair on there but the Typhon diffs are functioning so I can wait.

lol - i started a thread looking to partially convert a talion to a kraton - trying to get the best of both worlds... feel free to tag me as you find parts that are different - i've been meaning to do a side by side parts list to figure it out but haven't gotten to it yet - was hoping someone else had already done it - my philosophy is I'm not trying to be lazy - but why reinvent the proverbial wheel?

@Rich Duperbash - if you have any insight in going from a talion to a kraton or kraton to a talion - i'm sure the OP and I would greatly appreciate your insights!

@Kratonage - the badlands are an awesome balance for the track - i'm running them on my talion and loving them - hated them on my erbe - easier on the weaker diffs in the talion as well...

20180520_222722.jpg 20180529_111617.jpg 20180528_231839.jpg

Last edited:

The Kraton is the only one with the spiral input shaft and main gear. As long as you got the complete diff with case and input shaft you should be good to go.

It's an old post but it seems that this is not true (spiral input shaft only for the kraton)
I was looking to the differences between the kraton and the talion and on the exploded views, they all have the AR310498 pinion which is the spiral one. On the 3 versions of the Talion it is true : spiral AR310498 pinion
Maybe the exploded view is wrong but I don't think so.

See by yourself : https://www.arrma-rc.com/support/downloads/TALION/ALL/ALL

Am I wrong ?

Last edited:
It's an old post but it seems that this is not true (spiral input shaft only for the kraton)
I was looking to the differences between the kraton and the talion and on the exploded views, they all have the AR310498 pinion which is the spiral one. On the 3 versions of the Talion it is true : spiral AR310498 pinion
Maybe the exploded view is wrong but I don't think so.

See by yourself : https://www.arrma-rc.com/support/downloads/TALION/ALL/ALL

Am I wrong ?
The Outcast, Kraton and Talion use the same differentials, diff gears and input gears (spiral cut). They use ar310497 diff gear and ar310498 input gear (taken from the exploded views). I know for sure that my Kraton has the spiral gears. The fluids may be different between them, but the components are the same. The Senton and Typhon have straight cut gears though in the front and rear.

Also, back when this was written they were on the V2 Kraton and Talion which were a lot more similar than the current Talion.

For the diffs - the "Big wheel" trucks (Kraton/Talion/Outcast) all use the same diff set - the spiral cut 10t/43t. The "Small wheel" trucks (Tyhphon/Senton) both use the straight cut 13t/43t.

For track running, I just run truggy tires on my Kraton. The V3 Talion short shocks and towers will NOT be great on the track, you want the longer stroke shocks. The only issue you may have, if your local track is picky about rules - the Kraton hubs are wide. Using the hubs/Hex/axle stubs from any of the Typhon/Senton/Talion will bring the width of the truck down to ROAR legal. Also, if the track is very picky, the Kraton wing is too big - you may need to swap it. But I'd guess that as long as your are not winning, they won't care about the extra width or wing... Once you get good, then they will care... LOL

Last edited:
The Outcast, Kraton and Talion use the same differentials, diff gears and input gears (spiral cut). They use ar310497 diff gear and ar310498 input gear (taken from the exploded views). I know for sure that my Kraton has the spiral gears. The fluids may be different between them, but the components are the same. The Senton and Typhon have straight cut gears though in the front and rear.

Also, back when this was written they were on the V2 Kraton and Talion which were a lot more similar than the current Talion.

Thank you for your answer. I found on others forums wrongs informations about that.
I've just bought a Talion (I had a kraton and an outcast before) and I was looking to kratonise it. And I was concerned about this wrong info.

For the diffs - the "Big wheel" trucks (Kraton/Talion/Outcast) all use the same diff set - the spiral cut 13t/43t. The "Small wheel" trucks (Tyhphon/Senton) both use the straight cut 10t/43t.

For track running, I just run truggy tires on my Kraton. The V3 Talion short shocks and towers will NOT be great on the track, you want the longer stroke shocks. The only issue you may have, if your local track is picky about rules - the Kraton hubs are wide. Using the hubs/Hex/axle stubs from any of the Typhon/Senton/Talion will bring the width of the truck down to ROAR legal. Also, if the track is very picky, the Kraton wing is too big - you may need to swap it. But I'd guess that as long as your are not winning, they won't care about the extra width or wing... Once you get good, then they will care... LOL

Yes ! The V3 talion is not for big jump on the track !

Last edited:
For the diffs - the "Big wheel" trucks (Kraton/Talion/Outcast) all use the same diff set - the spiral cut 13t/43t. The "Small wheel" trucks (Tyhphon/Senton) both use the straight cut 10t/43t.

Re read the first paragraph.
Me stinks you have the 10t/43t and the 13t/43t bakerds.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back