converting a server power supply 1400w

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm sure there is a few of you out there who have done this little project.
Converting a server power supply into a usable power supply to feed a dc charger.
Has anyone converted a 1400w one yet?

looking at a 1400w one to feed a turnigy reaktor dc charger...

Watching...

I have only done the ATX-style PC supplies. I need more watts for my Reaktor, though.

Did you get the 4x300w Reaktor charger?
i will be buying one yeah once i can find a good server psu to convert. scouring through ebay atm in search of a cheap one.

Big wattage power supplies are much more common with the heli guys. A search of a site such as helifreak.com is sure to turn up a ton of info on these conversions and suggestions as to which ones are best to use.

I don’t normally say this, but it seems like overkill for vehicles like these. Are you sure you can actually use 1400 Watts?

just future proofing is all.

still on the hunt for the perfect candidate psu for conversion but theres a super micro switching 1200w/1400w psu that looks good

Big wattage power supplies are much more common with the heli guys. A search of a site such as helifreak.com is sure to turn up a ton of info on these conversions and suggestions as to which ones are best to use.

I don’t normally say this, but it seems like overkill for vehicles like these. Are you sure you can actually use 1400 Watts?

for a 4 channel, 300w per channel charger, 1400w does not seem overkill, but just a safety margin. Charging a 6s at 10a takes over 220w. so charging 4 at once is around 1000w.

for a 4 channel, 300w per channel charger, 1400w does not seem overkill, but just a safety margin. Charging a 6s at 10a takes over 220w. so charging 4 at once is around 1000w.

Charging 4 6s packs at once is overkill, lol! That is not bad thing given you understand what you are signing up for.

Maybe. I do have the 2 channel 300w version, and sometimes have both running, plus my old Hitec X1, wishing I could charge more at the same time... When I am trying to charge batteries for me and my three kids to go bash, more channels is better. :) I like to leave the house with 2 batteries for each person, so 8 packs to charge before I leave. They don't all need 300w, though, as my younger kids run 2s only.

then there is Quad day... My son recently picked up a 220mm brushless quad. Batteries last 5 minutes. Right now he only has 2 lipos for it, but I can see that soon he is gonna start stocking up... Seems lots of the quad guys hit the field with about a dozen charged packs. Again, those smaller packs don't need 300w each, but having big watts on tap will let you parallel 4-6 of the small 3s packs at the same time.

I 'get by' with my 2x300w, but I can see a day pretty soon where it will leave me wanting...

:)

I can totally understand 1400w if you are charging for an entire family. I envy the fact that you get to enjoy 6s with your kids! Mine are still risky at 2s, lol.

Once you go airborne it all changes. That’s why I pointed him towards the heli crowd. 1400w is considered slow to a lot of those guys. The big birds are typically on 14s at over 5000mah! And they like to charge 6 at a time.

My kids are 18,9,8. The big kid I let use 4s, sometimes 6s, but the two younger ones are 2s only. Sometimes I will hand my Typhon off to my little girl, but I set the throttle EPA to about 30% first. :)

14S?!? Wow, big suckers!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back