Mojave Convince me not to buy a mojave EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thread update. Due to a weakened oil pump the marauder is developing a rod knock so my next few months will instead go into piecing a motor out of a Lincoln aviator together for the car ?‍♂️

So, I'm probably the last person you want to take advice from regarding Arrma products because I have zero respect for what this company flogs anymore and haven't even run a full pack through one of their "cars" yet. Been in RC aviation for years and thought these trucks looked fun. Well, I got fun alright and absolutely don't get it.

If this is any indication of what RC cars are about in general, my two Mojaves will be my first and last surface vehicles. I considered the Baja Rey and the UDR but somehow decided to sodomize myself with Arrma. Don't get a BLX whatever you do, mine is a POS new right out of the box requiring teardown and various parts replacement without even running it beyond pressing the "on" button and spinning the rear wheels attached centrally to a small grenade with the pin pre-pulled.

However, if you enjoy self-abuse and this is the kind of car that makes your loins swell with delight, the Mojave EXB with your choice of electronics is probably the cat's pajamas in the "basher" space right now. I laugh to myself as I write that pathetic statement.

If I could do it all again, I wouldn't and be glad I didn't. Pretty sure all this stuff will be seeing the inside of a compactor within a year.

You'll probably have more fun getting your Marauder together.

Take this however you want.

So, I'm probably the last person you want to take advice from regarding Arrma products because I have zero respect for what this company flogs anymore and haven't even run a full pack through one of their "cars" yet. Been in RC aviation for years and thought these trucks looked fun. Well, I got fun alright and absolutely don't get it.

If this is any indication of what RC cars are about in general, my two Mojaves will be my first and last surface vehicles. I considered the Baja Rey and the UDR but somehow decided to sodomize myself with Arrma. Don't get a BLX whatever you do, mine is a POS new right out of the box requiring teardown and various parts replacement without even running it beyond pressing the "on" button and spinning the rear wheels attached centrally to a small grenade with the pin pre-pulled.

However, if you enjoy self-abuse and this is the kind of car that makes your loins swell with delight, the Mojave EXB with your choice of electronics is probably the cat's pajamas in the "basher" space right now. I laugh to myself as I write that pathetic statement.

If I could do it all again, I wouldn't and be glad I didn't. Pretty sure all this stuff will be seeing the inside of a compactor within a year.

Can I have your stuff? ;)

I haven't heard of any flaw in the Mojave. Same platform as my Notorious V4 - same diffs etc. I bought it, chucked a battery in it and ran it for two months before I ever touched it. I didn't even look at the diffs until December. I found a broken pin in the rear diff but it didn't come apart or fail. I put one shim on the bearing to tighten the ring and pinion mesh front and rear after 20+ packs and that's it. I put different diff fluid in them but it's been far more bulletproof than I ever expected. I screw up and crash at 40 kph and cringe as it cartwheels 8 times... and it drives back to me. Every time. I'm sure I'll break something one of these times, but so far the only breakage I've had was when I clipped a steel fence post at about 45 kph with the right front tire and spun it around a couple of times in the air. That broke a plastic shock rod end. $15 and I had it fixed and a bunch of spares.

The Mojave is a great rig. The EXB is even tougher.

They only way I can convince you not to buy an Mojave EXB is you have to still buy all the electronics (which im sure you know) if you don't have them laying around already from other projects. This can raise the truck price pretty high if you don't have this stuff. You could buy a regular Mojave with electronics, which would be a lot cheaper, but wheres the fun at in that. Plus, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BUDGET IN THIS HOBBY, so go ahead and break the bank! ? ? ?
If I had a $money$ tree in my back yard, then yes there is no such thing as a Budget with this hobby. I always have a limit in my rigs for the most part when it comes to upgrades, Not talking broken incidental replacement parts.
With 1/8 RTR Arrma's I usually end up around $1k. And I stop and move onto something else. I don't like putting all my apples in one basket. I get less bang for the buck when I keep slamming one rig constantly with more and more upgrades that end up being more $Bling$ than anything else. My kits are in a different realm. My Tekno was capped at $1400. Ouch. :cool: We all have different wallets?‍♂️

Allow me to take that useless crap off your hands. PLEASE?
But if you're selling, name a price.

I haven't heard of any flaw in the Mojave.

Yeah, I've never heard of any flaws with hot soup sandwiches either...

Hey, if you guys want to start a bidding war on shipping costs for complete BLX parts in a bag, go for it.:LOL:

Yeah, I've never heard of any flaws with hot soup sandwiches either...

Hey, if you guys want to start a bidding war on shipping costs for complete BLX parts in a bag, go for it.:LOL:
Not bidding. Im offering my "disposal" services so the dumb Mojaves NEVER impose their ineffective, morally retarded, electronically FUBAR, and flimsy structures in your presence ever again!
The bonus here is, having me run them down asphalt is the BEST and MOST FITTING punishment you could EVER devise for those sorry things!

Since you say you are a RC flyer what would expect from a horizon hobby brand? Look i love there products but QC has been and is a big issue with their planes and cars. Servo goes out in a plane its toast.

I am starting to look at Armma the same way, great products that have their weaknesses or issues. Being in probably every facet of RC; planes, cars, boats; every brand has their issues. However the price point for making a perfect vehicle would push it outside of reach for most.

Okag back on track, I almost got the Mojave. However I really like a bigger tired vehicles. It was really close though. Ended up getting a notorious and now looking at tge felony or infraction.

Thread update. Due to a weakened oil pump the marauder is developing a rod knock so my next few months will instead go into piecing a motor out of a Lincoln aviator together for the car ?‍♂️
Damn those real car breakages! Had a head gasket go out in an old S10 I had. Water and oil don't mix. Still ran though with water/oil mix spewing out the exhaust pipe ?
rings exhaust GIF

I haven't heard of any flaw in the Mojave.
Hypocritical response to a hypocritical post? You aren't exactly new on the forums, and even I can name several minor design flaws with Mojave that were discussed here and some were addressed with v2 update.

And the assembly process has plenty of flaws too, quality control for that is on par with Chinese brands if not worse. Had to disassemble my Mojo, replace some parts ruined by glue under warranty, and spend an obscene amount of shims. Still waiting for +1mm wheel hubs (one of my factory v1 rear hubs has so much glue I can't remove the grub screw without damaging it). Wish at least the EXBs were sold as unassembled kits.

Buy some aftermarket parts and build one up in v1 trim hahahaha. No need for the EXB. Mud guards, rear t bone bumper/crcu rear hinge pin block, and vitavon wheels going on next and it's time to rip!

mojave4.jpg

If I had a $money$ tree in my back yard, then yes there is no such thing as a Budget with this hobby. I always have a limit in my rigs for the most part when it comes to upgrades, Not talking broken incidental replacement parts.
With 1/8 RTR Arrma's I usually end up around $1k. And I stop and move onto something else. I don't like putting all my apples in one basket. I get less bang for the buck when I keep slamming one rig constantly with more and more upgrades that end up being more $Bling$ than anything else. My kits are in a different realm. My Tekno was capped at $1400. Ouch. :cool: We all have different wallets?‍♂️
No Budget, especially if you have multiple cars, because your always spending money on something, to keep your cars running. Especially if you bash and race
Sounds like you have blown way past your "budget" and stopped tracking spending because you have multiple cars, and with multiple cars you always want to make sure they are RTR when you want to take them out. They are never broken to long. Also, if "RC is a Lifestyle choice", for you, there is no budget, which is great?

Hypocritical response to a hypocritical post? You aren't exactly new on the forums, and even I can name several minor design flaws with Mojave that were discussed here and some were addressed with v2 update.

And the assembly process has plenty of flaws too, quality control for that is on par with Chinese brands if not worse. Had to disassemble my Mojo, replace some parts ruined by glue under warranty, and spend an obscene amount of shims. Still waiting for +1mm wheel hubs (one of my factory v1 rear hubs has so much glue I can't remove the grub screw without damaging it). Wish at least the EXBs were sold as unassembled kits.

The Kraton EXB had a rear diff issue on release, since fixed. I haven’t heard of anything like that for the Mojave.

You mean too much locktite? A little heat will sort that out.

I know two guys locally who bought Mojaves, and one of them got the EXB edition. He works at the hobby shop and is very experienced and knowledgeable. He put electronics in it and ran it. He had zero problems. The second friend of mine loves his Mojave and that’s the rig he drives the most.

Sure there are QC issues. With all of the brands - because they are made in China - many “brand” trucks and parts from the same factories. The issue is that with COVID the engineers and QA/QC people can’t fly back and forth and oversee things in person.

Your expectations are different than mine. I think you should check out @razorrc ‘s videos on the Tekno MT410. That kit seems like it might be more of what you expect and are looking for.

And the assembly process has plenty of flaws too, quality control for that is on par with Chinese brands if not worse.

What I don't understand is why the BLX models even come built in a big box. With the way these things are slapped together (infinite monkeys on typewriters analogy comes to mind) why don't they sell them in bags of parts as a kit so the purchaser can build the thing right the first time. Anyway, if these cars need to be literally dismantled new out of the box so they don't destroy themselves when used, why does Arrma even bother? If the diff issues are any indication, this company is an utter clown show internally, in my opinion. Cant even get a bag of ARA311094 on the market in a timely manner to help? Yeah yeah, McMaster Carr blah blah blah...

Hopefully the EXB models signal a bellweather change and Arrma is collectively extracting their head from their fundament because for everyone without beaten-wife syndrome and deranged addiction to paying money for shiny new defective ****, the customer experience is absolutely absurd and insulting with their "RTR" game. In my experience and opinion...

Buy some aftermarket parts and build one up in v1 trim hahahaha.

That's a boss rig you built there. What brand of Hearse is in front of your TV?

Last edited:
Damn those real car breakages! Had a head gasket go out in an old S10 I had. Water and oil don't mix. Still ran though with water/oil mix spewing out the exhaust pipe ?
rings exhaust GIF
Lol

? good write up. I’m not gonna try and convince you to give it a second chance. I get it, surface vehicles aren’t for everyone and it’d leave a bad taste in my mouth if I got a truck that skipped QC as well. I’m actually scared to try aviation for that reason- I’m worried I’ll stop liking surface vehicles. Again, valid points and thanks for the reply, not every truck is created equal.

Lol

? good write up. I’m not gonna try and convince you to give it a second chance. I get it, surface vehicles aren’t for everyone and it’d leave a bad taste in my mouth if I got a truck that skipped QC as well. I’m actually scared to try aviation for that reason- I’m worried I’ll stop liking surface vehicles. Again, valid points and thanks for the reply, not every truck is created equal.

I don't give-up that easily so don't let my bitching give you the wrong idea. ;)

Start flying on a simulator if you've never done it. If you really get a kick out of it buy a little Sport Cub S or microquad. There's some very capable and durable (light) models out there for under $150 with controller.

Enjoy your new EXB because it is the choice for someone wanting a truck like this. I'm putting a Max6/4985 combo, Triple 4 servo and 6100AT Rx in mine.

What I don't understand is why the BLX models even come built in a big box. With the way these things are slapped together (infinite monkeys on typewriters analogy comes to mind) why don't they sell them in bags of parts as a kit so the purchaser can build the thing right the first time. Anyway, if these cars need to be literally dismantled new out of the box so they don't destroy themselves when used, why does Arrma even bother? If the diff issues are any indication, this company is an utter clown show internally, in my opinion. Cant even get a bag of ARA311094 on the market in a timely manner to help? Yeah yeah, McMaster Carr blah blah blah...

Hopefully the EXB models signal a bellweather change and Arrma is collectively extracting their head from their fundament because for everyone without beaten-wife syndrome and deranged addiction to paying money for shiny new defective ****, the customer experience is absolutely absurd and insulting with their "RTR" game. In my experience and opinion...

That's a boss rig you built there. What brand of Hearse is in front of your TV?
I would guess that the average person would not be able to assemble by themselves(even if instructions were clear and legible). I, for one, LOVE this idea.
Outside of that, taking things apart is a hands on way for people to figure out what a part does, why and how is does that, and where it goes. The trick is ACTUALLY taking your time and not rushing everything off to the point you don't remember where it goes and how it was installed.
I feel you are being a little bit harsh and unfair in regards to ARRMA. But I can see why and even respect your opinion. QC is an issue in every factory in every country. No matter what you buy or when it was made or assembled, no two products are ever EXACTLY the same. Take two Mojave's for example here: both built on same day, one assembler took his time and did it right. The other clock watched and rushed through. One takes pride in workmanship and the other is stuck in a job. Even 2 cars assembled by the first guy above are not the same. Unbeknownst to him, a driveshaft(or shock or whatever) in one of the cars he assembled had a hairline crack that he didn't notice.
In my line of work we have a saying, "slow down and hurry up". It applies here and to almost every aspect of life.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back