Cool off while working in the garage. Simple evap/ice chest build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
Its late July/Early August and its painfully hot outside in Texas. While I can do wrenching on the RC inside I do lots of carbon fiber work that requires sanding and chemicals. This must be done in the garage. We live in a new neighborhood with a strict HOA so an AC unit setup was not an option.
I was looking for a cheap method to stay cool and only needs to last for a short duration.

My setup is an old cooler that was ready to be tossed.
1. Cut hole on top left of lid for 4" pvc 45 degree elbow
2. Cut hole on bottom of the cooler and install 90 degree 4" pvc elbow.
3. Screw in wire rack. (place high enough to allow room for airflow and water drainage.
4. Block off air flow path (I used an automotive window sun visor and a combination of self tapping screws, foam, and zip ties to the wire rack)
5. Install mesh material to keep ice from falling through basket/wire rack. (I used those foam/rubber mats for lining your kitchen drawers)
6. Install blow through fan. Mine was a 200 cfm 110v off amazon (around $20.00) More CFM like 300 would be nice but would melt the ice faster.
7. Angle elbow and fan up to avoid water.

(note if you cut the holes perfectly snug then no sealant needed and you can adjust the output angle by turning the output 45 degree elbow.)

With a reasonably small amount of ice this thing is taking 90 F. air and outputting 65 F. With more Ice I am sure it would get cooler.
Currently this lasts around 30 mins and is just enough to help me tolerate the hot garage for short durations.

*Want to stay in the garage longer? Drain cooler and add more ice!
This wont cool off your whole garage, but pointed at you it will keep you very comfortable!!!

1Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

simple diagramCapture.JPG

I was advised another method that may work better is to snake 2 or 3" PVC through the cooler and fill it with ice. This avoids the direct air to ice contact and may allow the ice to last longer. For now I am happy with the results and cooling duration for my needs.

I've seen this before and always wondered how efficient it is. Great idea when you can't have ac. Know you guys are locked into a heat wave, same here, live next door lol!

Last edited:
I did the same thing once. Then I got tired of loading up on ice so I broke down and bought a portable unit. Just needs an exhaust hole and good to go :)
Very Nice! I do the portable AC and vent it through a 5'' exhaust port in the garage door.
I might do that next summer either up into the attic or the side of the house with a vent. This was very low cost and does the job well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back