Copper heatsink for BLX 2050kv motor.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klappars

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I decided to try and reduce the temperatures of my Talion's motor since even on 4S it was getting quite hot.

I wrapped some copper foil around the motor 2-3 times to see if it reduced temps.

I ran the car on grass today for 2 4S packs worth and the copper did work! the temps were around 65-70 celsius (149 - 158 fahrenheit) before and with the copper it was around 48-50 celsius (118 - 122 fahrenheit).

Since only the silver fins on the motor are covered it did only reduce the temperature in that area so I intend to cover the rest of the motor can with the copper to make the temperature more even across the motor can. If anyone is interested I used 30mm wide 0.03mm thick copper foil.
IMG_20180520_222331.jpg
IMG_20180520_222341.jpg
IMG_20180520_222347.jpg

So that seems to work nicely! I'm curious how that would do on 6S in a warm climate. Been running at almost 190 F on the Talion with 6S because it's 95F here. So I started using the Yeah racing twin fan setup, and that dropped me 30 degrees in this heat so far. Would post a picture if I was home.... Here's the link to the fan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yeah-Racin...256619?hash=item1c64ebc26b:g:AAcAAOSw9IpX1R92

How much did you spend on the Copper?

I
So that seems to work nicely! I'm curious how that would do on 6S in a warm climate. Been running at almost 190 F on the Talion with 6S because it's 95F here. So I started using the Yeah racing twin fan setup, and that dropped me 30 degrees in this heat so far. Would post a picture if I was home.... Here's the link to the fan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yeah-Racin...256619?hash=item1c64ebc26b:g:AAcAAOSw9IpX1R92

It was only £3.80

I’m not sure how it works there, but I see stuff from all over the world on eBay. That’s where I got these. Ordered it in blue for my Typhon as well. Try eBay and if you can get them, I do recommend. 30 degrees was a huge difference.

Isn't this quite inefficient on a finned motor, as it's only contacting the fins and just creating gaps for more hot air in between?

Isn't this quite inefficient on a finned motor, as it's only contacting the fins and just creating gaps for more hot air in between?
Yes it is really but it is no worse than sticking a heatsink on the motor which won’t even be adhered properly to the motor. I don’t use this method anymore since I am running a better motor that doesn’t need any additional cooling.

Yes it is really but it is no worse than sticking a heatsink on the motor which won’t even be adhered properly to the motor. I don’t use this method anymore since I am running a better motor that doesn’t need any additional cooling.
What motor/esc are you running?

What motor/esc are you running?
I’m running a hobbywing MAX8 with a hobbystar 4082 1600kv motor. It has a good deal more torque than the standard motor and even geared for 60mph on 6S it doesn’t overheat. I highly recommend it.

Uhhh... did you measure the temp under the copper?
Because you can wrap your motor in a wool blankie and it will show awesome low temps on the outside. Because all the heat is trapped under there.

Because you can wrap your motor in a wool blankie and it will show awesome low temps on the outside. Because all the heat is trapped under there.

That's a very good point actually. Like how they wrap victims of hyperthermia in a foil blanket

Yes. I measured the temperature at the end of the motor which was not covered in copper foil.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back