Copperhead 2/backflip durability?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The diff fluid in the ERBEv2 can't really be compared to anything else. 500K sounds like a lot, but whatever was in my in stock form unloads the left/right tires more easily than 100k in my outcast. I think the cups are larger so there's more room for the fluid to move around in there. The center diff with 20M still blows my mind. I rebuilt my center because I thought something was wrong with it, ended up just being tire grip and the tires were spinning, but it will still transfer power to the front if you lean on it for an entire pack. You had to roll the 20M up like play dough in your fingers and jam it into the teeth of the gears/cup.

I haven't had any issues with either Copperhead 2s or Backflips on my 6S trucks after I vented them. I occasionally do some street bashing with them but mostly off road on fields where I can run full throttle and some ramp jumping. Now that I've vented them they have held up very well. How many times did I say "vent"? I highly recommend venting these tires especially if running on 6S.
I agree about venting tires in general, because the tires expand evenly and contract way faster as they spin down, traction is enhanced better.
But...I find that all dBoots rubber is not pliable as PL and others, and the 1/8 vent holes I make on the center of the treads causes the tire to split at the holes. It becomes a very weak spot and the tire splits at the vent holes. Been venting for many years and only noticed this on dBoots rubber when I run 6S. My vented Pl Badlands have not done this. PL rubber is more Rubbery and doesn't split or tear at the vent holes. So my new set of CH2'S I won't vent on the treads. I will leave the wheel vents uncovered to see how long they last in its original vented configuration.

I’m going to attempt to glue the talons 1 more time, and wrap them with the kevlar string. If that doesn’t work I’ll try the copperhead 2s (probably wrapped) . And then on to the badlands or shockwaves. Stock tires are $80ish Prolines are $100ish, which is pretty steep to be shelling out after only a few runs.

Some food for thought. ..
Some treads like the CH2'S don't have an even circumference to use a string type wrap straight around. BF'S same. The wrap would be staggered. If that matters. :unsure:
The CH2'S are very thin compared to the 6S BF's. Check the pix below. BF's are almost twice as thick. Logic would have it that the BF's are the better tire with a much thicker carcass. CH2's have minimal internal ribbing at the sidewall compared to ribbing of the BF's.
20190927_105824.jpg
20190927_105410.jpg
20190927_105247.jpg

Internally taping these tires would not be effective because of the circumferential ribbing. The surface is not flat. The tape and glue method would not last, as many notice when they do this.

Attachments

• 20190927_114026.jpg
    20190927_114026.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Some food for thought. ..
Some treads like the CH2'S don't have an even circumference to use a string type wrap straight around. BF'S same. The wrap would be staggered. If that matters. :unsure:
The CH2'S are very thin compared to the 6S BF's. Check the pix below. BF's are almost twice as thick. Logic would have it that the BF's are the better tire with a much thicker carcass. CH2's have minimal internal ribbing at the sidewall compared to ribbing of the BF's.View attachment 49349View attachment 49350View attachment 49351
internally taping these tires would not be effective because of the circumferential ribbing. The surface is not flat. The tape would not last, as many notice when they do this.
Good info there! I’ll lean towards some backflips then. Thanks!

I need to experiment more with other brands besides the expensive PL'S and the dBoots. Just like 1:1 scale vehicles, tire quality and peformance vary so much. Sometimes price doesn't determine the best tire for your application. And cheaper tires may work best. It's trial and error unfortunately. And what works best for me may not be best for you. But tire reviews generally separate the men from the boys.
I like the CH2's, but the BF is the best all around tire. The treads wear like iron. Just wish the rubber was of better quality on dBoots in general. They appear to stretch out too much with little retraction memory to them. Quality rubber costs more however. Hence why PL cost more in my opinion. But PL basher wheels suck IMO. Their 1/8 race wheels appear to be way better. But I digress.

Last edited:
Anyone try out the #ProLine #Trenchers yet on there 6s ARRMA? They are very durable ? ? ? and heavy but still performs well in the dirt on 6s...

ProLine Trechers 3.8 Tiers .jpeg

Last edited:
I didn't like the Trenchers. Too big.
Which did you try? The 3.8" X or 3.8" standard?

The standard ones aren't much different in size to the backflips. Heavier though. I think the outcast tires were called backflips... I never ran them, have the original set under my work bench.
2018-0726-ProlineTrencher3.8-ArrmaDBoots.jpg

Which did you try? The 3.8" X or 3.8" standard?

The standard ones aren't much different in size to the backflips. Heavier though. I think the outcast tires were called backflips... I never ran them, have the original set under my work bench.
2018-0726-ProlineTrencher3.8-ArrmaDBoots.jpg
The giant ones. X, I guess.

I looked closely at the newest talon tires that I have and the tire can be pulled back way to much from bead which IMO means that the traxxas tires aren’t glued very well from the factory. So I cleaned the crud out from the bead area, and got some proper tire glue and glued them all “properly”. I then wrapped them in the black 300lb Kevlar string and I do believe that this will get me longer life out of them. If this fails, I’ll grab some backflips.

Attachments

• 965E7E1B-4590-4F77-83E3-126F98AC9160.jpeg
    965E7E1B-4590-4F77-83E3-126F98AC9160.jpeg
    842.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 17263C04-539C-42CC-8028-6FE0C61C8314.jpeg
    17263C04-539C-42CC-8028-6FE0C61C8314.jpeg
    742.4 KB · Views: 47
I looked closely at the newest talon tires that I have and the tire can be pulled back way to much from bead which IMO means that the traxxas tires aren’t glued very well from the factory. So I cleaned the crud out from the bead area, and got some proper tire glue and glued them all “properly”. I then wrapped them in the black 300lb Kevlar string and I do believe that this will get me longer life out of them. If this fails, I’ll grab some backflips.
Did you balance them? Every traxxas tire I've bought that was mounted was woefully out of balance. Not that big of a deal in my nitro trucks which live below 40mph, but an absolute nightmare on 6S and even 4S trucks. Was like having water in the tire that wouldn't spin out.

Did you balance them? Every traxxas tire I've bought that was mounted was woefully out of balance. Not that big of a deal in my nitro trucks which live below 40mph, but an absolute nightmare on 6S and even 4S trucks. Was like having water in the tire that wouldn't spin out.
I haven’t, but I’ll look into it. Every little bit helps.??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back