Coronavirus is not the flu

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThoMz RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I know there is already a thread on coronavirus but I think this title is important for everyone to see.
My brother-in-law was admitted to the hospital 2days ago and has been diagnosed with having the virus. He has not traveled outside of his town in months, and doctors are baffled by how he might have got it. My Sister is being held in quarantine and is being tested daily for 14 days.
He is 31, athletic and healthy. He is currently in the ICU on ventilation which is the only thing keeping him alive. His lungs are filling with fluid at the rate of 300cc per hour. He would drown to death if it were not for a suction tube that had been inserted into his lungs. Even if he makes it through the worst part, he won't be allowed to leave the hospital for at least a week after symptoms subside. Full recovery can take up to 10 weeks.
Just wanted to share some important information that I think you all need to know about the severity of this virus.
SCRUB YOUR HANDS at least 20secs. as often as you can, this IS NOT THE FLU.

I know there is already a thread on coronavirus but I think this title is important for everyone to see.
My brother-in-law was admitted to the hospital 2days ago and has been diagnosed with having the virus. He has not traveled outside of his town in months, and doctors are baffled by how he might have got it. My Sister is being held in quarantine and is being tested daily for 14 days.
He is 31, athletic and healthy. He is currently in the ICU on ventilation which is the only thing keeping him alive. His lungs are filling with fluid at the rate of 300cc per hour. He would drown to death if it were not for a suction tube that had been inserted into his lungs. Even if he makes it through the worst part, he won't be allowed to leave the hospital for at least a week after symptoms subside. Full recovery can take up to 10 weeks.
Just wanted to share some important information that I think you all need to know about the severity of this virus.

Sorry to hear. What your brother in law has is pneumonia which is a complication of coronavirus. Just like the same pneumonia people get from the flu. The flu never killed anyone, its always been pneumonia. Wish him a speedy recovery. ✌

Thanks. From what I was told from the doctor, coronavirus has been presenting with pneumonia as a symptom in 85% of cases in America so far. It is also now known that there are two almost identical strains, but one is more deadly, this is the one found in Italy and the Eastern US.

The news had been pushing that this virus was most deadly to those over 70, but I have heard now two cases of health males in their 30's in the same situation as your brother-in-law. Scary stuff indeed!

Out of my curiosity... Do you happen to know if he delayed going to the hospital initially, or when there became breathing problems? (we men tend to do that)

I can tell you this. I rarely get sick. I guess I've just been lucky that way. But on December 24, 2019 my brother came over with a fever and a cough. He was so sick that he went and laid down for 2 hours. It was Christmas Eve and he didn't want to miss the family gathering but I really wished he had stayed home. Long story short he infected about half of us. He ended up going to the doctor and he tested negative for the flu.

On 12/27/19, two days after exposure, I started to run a fever and I developed a dry cough. Over the next 4 days I ran fevers as high as 101. My normal temp is 96.4. I was so sick. It took almost 4 weeks for me to feel normal again, but the fever went away after 4 days. I was so close to taking myself to the doctor but I stayed home the entire time. The odd thing is that my girlfriend was there on Christmas Eve and then with me while I was sick. She never fell ill.

I guess what I'm driving at is that if someone told me that what I had was the Coronavirus virus I would believe them. If I caught the same thing my brother had (symptoms were identical) it wasn't the flu. So maybe the Coronavirus has been I'm the US longer than we think.

I hope your brother in law recovers. My prayers are with him.

Best of to your BIL and sister. Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks for the info, our prayers go out to all who are sick.
Bickety it sounds like you and your family had it very rough for a while also, glad you were able to push through and make it.

Sorry to hear about your BIL, hope he beats the virus. I just watched on TV where they said corona can change and mutate over time, I guess like flu. Some symptoms in one country can be somewhat different in another. After reading your post of this young healthy man, I'm not taking anything for granted.

I hope he has a full recovery and that no one else in your family will have to suffer in the same way. I was not taking the reports seriously until yesterday. New protocols in place in our household. Everyone be well.

Update: my brother in law was moved out the ICU today after nearly a month of being in critical condition. Doctors are saying he should be going home in 2-3 weeks. Thanks guys for all the support!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back