Cost of RC bashing as a hobby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Mom always said "Drive like a Maniac"
Premium Member
Military Veteran
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Granite Grom
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 3s
  9. Typhon 6s
I would say the cost of RC as a hobby is low to mid range as compared to say;
Fishing and Golf, A good rod and reel (fly, spin or casting) can easily cost $300+ plus lures and if you have a boat (Bust Out Another Thousand) Golf, a good set of clubs $500+ plus greens fees, club membership etc........

So I see RC as pretty cheap hobby :cool: What say you?

Last edited:
I would say the cost of RC as a hobby is low to mid range as compared to say;
Fishing and Golf, A good rod and reel (fly, spin or casting) can easily cost $300+ plus lures and if you have a boat (Bust Out Another Thousand) Golf, a good set of clubs $500+ plus greens fees, club membership etc........

So I see RC as pretty cheap hobby :cool: What say you?
Try starting out in nitro buggy or truggy racing then get back to me on that.

Depends. I know some blokes who are happy to spend $1,000s on golf a year and others who only want to spend $100. It all comes downs to how "into it" you are. If you have 1 RC car, then your costs will be low.. increase that and your costs go up accordingly.
I get a new set of golf clubs every 3-4 years, but I have RCs that I bought 20+ yrs ago. Last year I bought at least 6 RC cars (half second hand).
I play golf 3-4 days a month, so include membership/fees and food/beer and I reckon I spend a lot more a year on RC. At last count I have 32 cars and at least 14 of them are regular runners.

Fishing can be cheap if you have no boat... but in saying that I believe fishing lures catch more fishermen/women than fish!!!

One rig has $2100 invested
Second rig has $1000 invested
Helicopter $500
Drone $300
Third rig is new $400

Supplies and tools $3000
All in past 4 months...

Compared to my other "hobby" photography, yeah cheap. I have lenses that cost more than my entire RC collection.? Oh and $48K worth of degrees in that one. ??
I had a ex that did it for fun.. I never knew such a small box could cost $10,000 lmao

Cheap? I doubt it but it’s acceptable - I got 700size helicopters ~£2000 a pop not including batteries (if they go in its rarely under £200 to fix), radio gear well I spent over £1000 but thats choice and feel cheaper is possible ... charging gear I spent at the time ~£450 ... and comparing it to cars yes seems cheaper for the moment but once addiction kicks in as for all RC I’d think its a good money pit but acceptable for the fun of it ...
Golf? I still have sex

Compared to my other "hobby" photography, yeah cheap. I have lenses that cost more than my entire RC collection.? Oh and $48K worth of degrees in that one. ??

At least you can make money from that hobby too haha. At least I hope you do with all that invested into it. My other hobby, building guns, dwarfs the cost of my RCs too lol

Target practice isn’t cheap either, but cheaper than RC. Cost of actual firearms, permits, ammo, membership dues, and maintenance cost a pretty penny, but doesn’t hold a candle to RC. Both hobbies keep me sane though, so they’re both money well invested.

I have to admit that of the hobbies I do have it is actually the cheapest for me. It also helps that the wife and kids are into RC anything also.

I have over a dozen RCs
But my knife collecting hobby is quite a bit more pricey than RC.
All hobbies are expensive if you really get into them, no matter what it is.
I think I have like 14. I really should count them up.

I just have my Senton, the VTA car I built, and my old Kyosho Mini-Z. I bought the Senton because it seemed like a good value for what I wanted. I built the VTA car on a budget, and have maybe $600 in it, including the Futaba 4PM I bought.

One other hobby is photography, and I too, have a single lens that's worth more than all my R/C stuff combined.

My other $$ hobby is Amateur Radio, and I could easily spend $10k on equipment, another $10k on a tower and antennas, and another $5k in misc "support" equipment.

So yeah, I consider R/C, at this point in my life and interest level, to be a relatively inexpensive hobby.

I had a very different opinion 30 years ago when I ran on-road 10th scale nitro.......and nitro off-road.

I collect knives also. Microtech , protech, zt,Spyderco etc

Very nice, so you know what i mean, lol.
I like my protechs more than my microtechs. I never could get into ZT though. Spyderco has something for everyone.
My custom andre thorburn was a grail for me, as well as my custom Olamic. CKF has some nice offerings for midtechs.
So many knives i still need, lol.
Looks like someone needs to open a knife thread here, hah.

I got drawn for a grimsmo three times now, they just werent my flavor.

don't get me started on my fixed blades. Hah
anybody have one of these? I really want to get one but they are very limited and hard to get -and expensive
https://store.goughcustom.com/collections

Ive been after one of those for a while.
I had one when he first started out and they were easier to get and less money, but i stupidly sold it.
Im after a certain one, but if you just want any Gough, i bet i can find you one

I think I have like 14. I really should count them up.
15 if you count the remnants of the 2wd Stampede, I mean I still have like 98% of it so I think it still counts lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back