Kraton Cotton differential pinion gear broke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenisNew72

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hello all my friends , colleagues will share with you the news of the last rollers of the craton , we see the result : the bursting of the satellite in the center differential, oil filled 10K

IMG_20161003_131800.jpg

IMG_20161003_131839.jpg

I'm surprised that he's so fragile and small and thin just funny))).... Please suggest is there a more reinforced the satellites ? what ? under the replacement

It's almost new , first ride after service, a couple of jumps and he grunted

Now I think what he broke?
1) Or a factory defect
2) or very brittle metal quality poor
3) or backlash

Well you also have to keep in mind that things like this can always happen and are not necessarily a bad product or factory defect...

You can always try and contact Arrma for a warranty replacement :)

I bet every so often one of those gears is made with an air pocket in it. It looks like a cast....and you may get a defective one. Also....everyone has a different driving style. And setups. Some peoples setup and driving style is just asking for breakage. Others can go all season without busting anything. However...a defective part is what it is. A weak spot.

What was the outcome on this as the same happened to me today. Truck is only a few weeks old, anyone have a good place to get a replacement? Or is this from arrma only? Thanks in advance...Mike20161112_180349.jpg

Awesome, thanks. I found a couple on ebay. I've already sent an email to arrma maybe they'll Warranty it. I also just placed an order with tower and included a bunch of spare parts...thanks again.. Mike

Hello all my friends , colleagues will share with you the news of the last rollers of the craton , we see the result : the bursting of the satellite in the center differential, oil filled 10K

View attachment 2981

View attachment 2982

I'm surprised that he's so fragile and small and thin just funny))).... Please suggest is there a more reinforced the satellites ? what ? under the replacement
Same happened to me twice...always the bottom gear in the cup .....shimmed with 5x15x0.3mm....never had any diff issues after that.....and i have been very mean to my kraton :p

View attachment 2981

View attachment 2982

You're not alone on this one. I broke both center diff
IMG_20161116_115141133.jpg
planetary gears after a drag race gone bad, involved quick flip over and land. I think wheels free spun and then planted hard causing stress, but have since put in TD planetary shims and 2 extra satellite shims along with 100k center fluid in Typhon. Took all diff slop away, runs great.

I have broken 2 of these also, seems to be a weak point for us. Like Vanning said, they are cast. I have gotten ones with small chips too, luck of the draw I guess.

I have broken 2 of these also, seems to be a weak point for us. Like Vanning said, they are cast. I have gotten ones with small chips too, luck of the draw I guess.
They definitely look cast. I'm hoping proper shimming helps, I only run 6s and don't want to worry about stuff breaking like I use to with my Slash. I'm sure if it's an ongoing issue either Arrma or aftermarket support will offer an upgrade. Until then, still going to bash hard within reason and without any abundance of caution. These rigs are awesome!

They definitely look cast. I'm hoping proper shimming helps, I only run 6s and don't want to worry about stuff breaking like I use to with my Slash. I'm sure if it's an ongoing issue either Arrma or aftermarket support will offer an upgrade. Until then, still going to bash hard within reason and without any abundance of caution. These rigs are awesome!

I do hope an upgrade is available soon, but I don't let it affect my driving. I bash pretty hard and it has been months since i have broken one. I do believe it is a matter of just getting a "bad one".

Where can I get the shims to make sure my diff is tight I broke my center and rear diff both today and ordered all new differentials

Do not order anything from active power sports they eill say in stock yhen tge next dsy will send an email saying out of stock after taking your money. Happend to me on a couple orders. I woukd avoid them st sll costs.

Looks like the Team Durango diff shims are out of stock in a lot of places. They didn't say they were out of stock here:
http://www.activepowersports.com/team-durango-td310476-satellite-gear-shim-set-10-td310476/

Tekno also has the same dimension diff shims:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...MI1PTA_ZOg1gIVzLbACh2MdAaXEAQYASABEgL-S_D_BwE

Just search for diff shims with the 6x17x.3mm measurements and you should be fine.
Those TD shims have been out of stock for ever bra :mad: Mugen are the poop I have them in the Outcast. The Tekno shims are 6mm internal not 5mm so are a little loose. I used them in the Kraton because they where easy to source. So far so good haven't had any probs with them. ;)

Thanks, I bought two packs of the TD shims a couple years ago, so I'm set for a bit.

Good to know the others that will work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back