Outcast Couldn't fight the urge any longer... going 6S with my outcast...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
Ok, now I need to read a bit to see what gearing I need to start with for reliability.

Stock esc (BLX185), stock motor, got a HW 40mm fan on the motor, running standard trencher 3.8's. I'm assuming I have to wrap them with line, so ordered some 70lb kevlar.

Also kind of went off the rails buying lipos... ordered 4 HRB 5000mah 3S1P 50C. Was going to go with SMC like always, but didn't see any under 6K that I wanted. Since I didn't want to start by spending $300 on batteries (I want 4), found some HRB's on ebay going for best offer at $43 with TRX plugs like I use, offered $40 for each for 4 with free shipping, no taxes... and they agreed to the offer. Probably could have gotten cheaper, but didn't see any at the time with TRX plugs and I don't want to solder or pay more for adapters which just adds another link in the chain. If it goes well, may pick up a pair of SMC's 7200 3S soft packs for $68 a piece.

So, 13T pinion or lower with trenchers for bashing in grass without having to care much about heat issues?

Hoping I still get my ~20 minute run times... lol!

I run a 15t in mine. You should be fine.
Really? Pack after pack in the grass on a 80F day? I can barely do that now with 4S and 15T.

I'm fine with gearing down if that's what it will be stable at. I don't want it geared at a point where I really have to care about temps. I don't intend on running the entire pack at WOT. I know my buddy I used to bash with with his talion and trencher 3.8's couldn't run with me pack for pack at the skate park without overheating with a 15T. He could out run me speed wise of course, but not for time.

Really? Pack after pack in the grass on a 80F day? I can barely do that now with 4S and 15T.

I'm fine with gearing down if that's what it will be stable at. I don't want it geared at a point where I really have to care about temps. I don't intend on running the entire pack at WOT. I know my buddy I used to bash with with his talion and trencher 3.8's couldn't run with me pack for pack at the skate park without overheating with a 15T. He could out run me speed wise of course, but not for time.

You've seen my videos. My trucks don't last multiple packs!

Noooooooo!! You were doing so good you were my 4s buddy lol jk you'll get addicted to the power your 4s will sit and collect dust from now on

I'll still stick with 4S in my ERBEv1 and Savage Flux HP... well, at least the ERBEv1. ;)

I ran dual 2S packs and will be running dual 3S packs. So... if I think I can dial things back a bit for the erbe and savage, then perhaps I'll go 6S in those as well, but I know the revo can't take it at 100%. I'll tear apart my remaining 2S packs to make 3S packs for my stampede and jato if this works out well.

I'll still stick with 4S in my ERBEv1 and Savage Flux HP... well, at least the ERBEv1. ;)

I ran dual 2S packs and will be running dual 3S packs. So... if I think I can dial things back a bit for the erbe and savage, then perhaps I'll go 6S in those as well, but I know the revo can't take it at 100%. I'll tear apart my remaining 2S packs to make 3S packs for my stampede and jato if this works out well.
I see i always ran single packs easier for me to charge and less lipos to deal with if it fails screw it. I swear ive abused my floureon lipos to no end and they still work flawlessly and balance perfectly i even drained one to 2.4v before charged back up and it didn't puff lol internal resistance it's still around 2mohm at 90 degrees f i swear these batteries are tanks!

I ran a 13t on mine on 6s but I ran it on a dirt track, didn't run it in grass much and temps weren't too bad.
The 13t is insane on the Max8 combo though, anything over 3/4 throttle and it flips on it's lid. I was pulling off quadruple back flips with it. This is the jump I was able to do the quadruple back flip off of, do note in this video I had the stock power system in it.

Ok, now I need to read a bit to see what gearing I need to start with for reliability.

Stock esc (BLX185), stock motor, got a HW 40mm fan on the motor, running standard trencher 3.8's. I'm assuming I have to wrap them with line, so ordered some 70lb kevlar.

Also kind of went off the rails buying lipos... ordered 4 HRB 5000mah 3S1P 50C. Was going to go with SMC like always, but didn't see any under 6K that I wanted. Since I didn't want to start by spending $300 on batteries (I want 4), found some HRB's on ebay going for best offer at $43 with TRX plugs like I use, offered $40 for each for 4 with free shipping, no taxes... and they agreed to the offer. Probably could have gotten cheaper, but didn't see any at the time with TRX plugs and I don't want to solder or pay more for adapters which just adds another link in the chain. If it goes well, may pick up a pair of SMC's 7200 3S soft packs for $68 a piece.

So, 13T pinion or lower with trenchers for bashing in grass without having to care much about heat issues?

Hoping I still get my ~20 minute run times... lol!
Whatever the stock smaller pinion is (13t I think), is already a handful on 6s. I've never had a heat issue, punch still at 4, pops up on demand, and you can launch off a ramp with only a 10 foot runway. I have the same 5000/50c/3s X 2. Ran it through snow, slush, grass and mud, never hit thermal cut off. I'm actually afraid to change the punch, as this swb truck is already spending too much time on it's rear wheels. Backflips are vented, and that makes a big difference in keeping ballooning down.

@Notorious J What weight oil do you run in the center diff? With 4S, 500K worked well for me with the trenchers. Not sure if that will be too much for 6S. I'll probably try it at least a bash session before I fiddle with that.

I didn't have a 13T. I had a 12,14,15,16,17,20,21 (the 20/21 were for my savage flux). I ordered up a 13T. Pretty sure mine came with a 12 and 16. Was thinking I'd stat with 13T and see how that does. I'm sure it will work fine for now, but may have to drop to 12 once it warms up above 70F outside. Still, 12T on 6S is faster than 15T on 4S I believe.

I really wish I checked my max speed on the outcast so I knew what it was for sure. My ERBE and Savage max out at 45mph per the GPS I had strapped to them. I haven't checked my stampede or ejato since I went 3S either. I don't care about the speed as much as knowing what it is so I know what changes will do.

I have one specific jump that takes almost WOT to clear safely with all 3 of my big trucks on 4S. Coming up short means a really hard case. The outcast clears it the easiest, but it's also the easiest to put the most power down while maintaining control. The ERBE is the toughest and the savage isn't too bad now that I have a center diff. It's still pretty twitchy though above 1/2 throttle.

Should be fun regardless!

My Notorious came with 12 and the speed gear is 16.

I just installed a Tekno 14.

Holding off buying the Sky RC gps module- since it is $60, and I've seen mention that some controllers have a way to show speed.. I'm going to look into what I need to do to make that happen. Seems better than having to strap on something, check it each time, change it's batteries, etc. Glancing down at the controller seems worth whatever the extra cost over $60 would be...

Hi @olds97_lss. I wasn't sure about the stock pinion, but you're correct on it being a 12t. I have one center dif with 500k, and one with 200k. The 500k is currently in the truck, and with the stock vented backflips, is pretty manageable. Trenchers, I assume, are heavier, so that's going to play into the equation for sure. The thing about the Outcast on 6s, is trying to keep it controlled at WOT. The short wheel base, and the extreme torque, make launches a challenge. If you have a good runway, sky's the limit. What ever happens, you're going to have fun. Let us know how the trials go.

Probably won't get the packs and pinion before the weekend, so will be a bit before I have any new footage. Only supposed to get up to 38F here this weekend anyway... so probably a smart move to not test the limits anyway. lol!

I think it will be interesting though to see the footage with both 4S and 6S at the same bmx grass track I found just to see how much easier it is to clear the jumps... that is, if I can control the dumb thing!

Yeah dude, keep that poor revo on 4s. The outcast will cost a lot less on 6s.

Yeah dude, keep that poor revo on 4s. The outcast will cost a lot less on 6s.
Well, I run a spektrum radio, so it's easy enough to limit max throttle to 75% or something just so I don't have to keep 2S packs around if I do want to run 6S in it. That was my thought process anyway. I'd do the same on the savage as it's a handful at 4S speeds. I'd just have to regear them both for 6S... not sure how that works, but I'd find out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back