Notorious Couple of questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bollucks

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Hi everyone,

Had a good day of bashing yesterday and broke/lost a few things but no big deal. I was taking apart the rear end to try and get the two bolts that hold the wing on (that sheared off) and I open up the diff case to notice a decent amount of grit and dirt in there is that normal and if so how often are you going in there to clean out and replace the grease. Also what grease are you using I have some people recommend mobile 1 axle grease.

Second question is I noticed in the rear the cups that come off of the diff that the dog bones go into look to be deforming. Is that normal and is it possible to replace those or do you just have to replace the diff?

And finally the front right lower pillow ball yesterday kept loosening up on me. Initially resulting in the front dog bone falling out and when I got home noticed I lost some of those upper shims on the upper a arm. Is there something I can use to lock the screw in there like loctite or something? Also can you buy just those shims or do you have to buy a new set of upper arms.

thanks a ton

385C3BA6-9CBA-4586-8F1A-F32287DC59BB.jpeg

E8E420D3-11FE-41B4-A91A-DFD894FE316C.jpeg

3A9398E4-8E5A-481A-83A5-F614D35C53FF.jpeg

Hi everyone,

Had a good day of bashing yesterday and broke/lost a few things but no big deal. I was taking apart the rear end to try and get the two bolts that hold the wing on (that sheared off) and I open up the diff case to notice a decent amount of grit and dirt in there is that normal and if so how often are you going in there to clean out and replace the grease. Also what grease are you using I have some people recommend mobile 1 axle grease.

Second question is I noticed in the rear the cups that come off of the diff that the dog bones go into look to be deforming. Is that normal and is it possible to replace those or do you just have to replace the diff?

And finally the front right lower pillow ball yesterday kept loosening up on me. Initially resulting in the front dog bone falling out and when I got home noticed I lost some of those upper shims on the upper a arm. Is there something I can use to lock the screw in there like loctite or something? Also can you buy just those shims or do you have to buy a new set of upper arms.

thanks a ton

View attachment 108932

View attachment 108933

View attachment 108934
Look on jennys rc and buy a screw kit. it'll come with all the little spacers and bits. That's been about the easiest way I've seen to stock up on the odd bits. Any of the 6s cars will have those parts in them. As far as the diff getting grimy, it happens. I use Tekjo gaskets from the diff case to the chassis. You can find those and the gaskets that go under the ring gear on ebay. Both are highly recommended. As far as the cups I'd run them a little longer, but you can get some hardened ones on M2c racing's site. I started out using the cheap walmart red grease and use cowrc's grease now in my diffs but both have been fine. I check and change it any time I service my diffs. I don't do that super often, which may not be the right answer but unless it breaks I try to avoid messing with it. I do service/shim them when I first install them though too. I run 60k/1m/30k weights front to back in my diffs. If you pick up some jim's bearings to replace the bearings that would be a good all around service on the diffs to do all at once- new bearings, gaskets, fluid change/grease change. You'll have to pull those cups out of the diff to change them too so might as well knock it all out at once.

Thank you for your reply. I’ll take a look at the screw kit on Jenny’s. I’ll do what you said and keep running the cups and replace them with the m2c ones when they get worst.

I’ve got some diff oil arriving today so I’ll clean out and regrease it as well as shim the diffs while I’m in there. Although I will say the rear felt pretty tight side to side. I’m going to try 60/150/10 for diff oil for now and see how it works.

got a new servo and servo mount arriving today as well so should be a fun night in the garage.

Thank you for your reply. I’ll take a look at the screw kit on Jenny’s. I’ll do what you said and keep running the cups and replace them with the m2c ones when they get worst.

I’ve got some diff oil arriving today so I’ll clean out and regrease it as well as shim the diffs while I’m in there. Although I will say the rear felt pretty tight side to side. I’m going to try 60/150/10 for diff oil for now and see how it works.

got a new servo and servo mount arriving today as well so should be a fun night in the garage.
Yeah side to side will be fine as long as you keep that big skinny shim in there. I pull on the drive cups to see if there is any movement and if so I add a shim under the pin inside to help push it in towards the sun gears. If it's a v4 the shims inside should be ok behind the sun gears. If it's older you may add a set around it. I had a couple diff cups have a little play in and out this last go round so I added the shim behind the pins. If you have it all taken apart you could swap the cups and it'll wear the other side too and just use the worn side in reverse.

It’s a v4 so hopefully it’s fine with the sun gear ones. I’ll go through it all a bit more when I pull the diffs for the oil replacement. That’s a good idea about swapping the cups I’ll do that while I’m in there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back