Typhon Cracked center planetary gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

typhon34

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So two weekends in a row ive cracked my centre diff planetary gear in two !!
Lose front wheel drive.
I run 2.8 trenchers... 60w shock oil... And wound the springs harder.

Is the typhon just too low for 15/20 foot high jumps ?
Im guess the chassis is hitting hard and causing the gear to crack ?
My kraton runs fine at the same place .

Anyone know if i can get stronger diff gears ? Durango ones better ? Do they fit ?

I need to do something....

Well, 15-20 foot high jumps must be very hard on any RC :confused:
I'd be very interested in a list where parts from Team Durango fits Arrma models.

I know that the Chassis from Team Durango is of higher grade aluminium, but I don't know if they also use stronger diff gears.

EDIT: this might be interesting:
https://arrmaforum.com/threads/talion-tips-and-tricks.51/#post-12121

Last edited:
Well yes... Its pretty high. And not landing on the softest ground either.
But its a great place to bash and only 10min from home :)
I msg arrma on facebook and asked about the durango gears. Same amount of teeth but i don't know if the pin in the back will fit ? Hopefully they'll let me know.....
Will put some 3.8's on it next time and see if that helps but I'm thinking it could also be chassis flex pushing the centre dogbone into the gear ? It may have taken a few hard hits :p

Well yes... Its pretty high. And not landing on the softest ground either.
But its a great place to bash and only 10min from home :)
I msg arrma on facebook and asked about the durango gears. Same amount of teeth but i don't know if the pin in the back will fit ? Hopefully they'll let me know.....
Will put some 3.8's on it next time and see if that helps but I'm thinking it could also be chassis flex pushing the centre dogbone into the gear ? It may have taken a few hard hits :p
I can be wrong but I don't think bottoming out is breaking your gears. Unless you are holding down throttle when landing. Mine have broken in my outcast and kraton. I put three mugen shims in diffs and replaced pin with a 2.2mm pin I cut from a drill bit. shipping took for ever on drill bit. I got the idea from YouTube, "Bulletproofing diffs". I bash hard and so far diffs have been fine. The 3.8 tires will put more load on diffs and wear/break more.

I would try shimming the diffs and make sure it's filled to the proper level. if your landing with full or almost full throttle that could also put a lot of load on the diff.

No full throttle landings. Did have a few nose dives tho... Which is why im wondering about the chassis flex pushing the dogbone into the gear ?

I haven't had anything go wrong at all with the typhon in 6 months except one bearing blowing out.
Now this twice in 2 runs.
I had a watch of the bulletproof video.... Will give that a shot and see if it helps :)
And i'll let yous know what arrma say about the durango gears fitting...

2.2mm drill bits cut to size
Mugen diff washer set (what was available)
Fast Eddie bearings

Credit to TPView attachment 10446View attachment 10447View attachment 10448View attachment 10449View attachment 10450

No full throttle landings. Did have a few nose dives tho... Which is why im wondering about the chassis flex pushing the dogbone into the gear ?

I haven't had anything go wrong at all with the typhon in 6 months except one bearing blowing out.
Now this twice in 2 runs.
I had a watch of the bulletproof video.... Will give that a shot and see if it helps :)
And i'll let yous know what arrma say about the durango gears fitting...
Here is a few pics of what I used. If I remember correctly the stock pin is 1.7mm. The 2.2mm is nice and snug. For diff oil I use 50k/100k/50k. That combo diff oil is what tekno sent me stock for mt410. I use it for my arrma's and don't see a need to try anything else for my bashing style. I'm very heavy on throttle and I break other stuff now since I bulletproofed diffs.

Those new wheels can put a much bigger load on diffs. If there is play in your diff I can see how that can break pins. Shimming will almost take all play out. With 2.2mm pins there is no play where pin sits. In my pic I have the stock pin and 2.2mm pin side to side. You can see the grooves the stock pin has from the play. These stock pins have never seen 6s yet.

Well i cant find the 5x18x.2 shims anywhere...
Anyone know if the 6x17x.3 tekno shims will work ? Its only 1mm off... But its still bigger.
Can get those nice and easy and only a few bucks..

Well i cant find the 5x18x.2 shims anywhere...
Anyone know if the 6x17x.3 tekno shims will work ? Its only 1mm off... But its still bigger.
Can get those nice and easy and only a few bucks..
The .3 seems thick. If it's only a few bucks it might be worth a shot. May have to only put 1 shim on each end. You will know if it's to tight. When it's completely re assembled before you reinstall it. It wont spin. When it's done right. It will have a very slight grinding but will still spin.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back