Cracking noise in drive train, what to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey everyone,

I am having a issue with my outcast and im going nuts. That is because i can't find the problem. The noise seems to come from the rear diff, but i openend the diff and nothing seems wrong. Then i found that 2 screws of the gear case of the rear diff were stripped. After replacing all four screws with thicker one's in a last effort to close it properly, the sound is still there. I have watched other threads and tried their solutions such as the dogbone couplings, but that's not the case with mine.... Thanks in advance for the support! Here a link to the video's:

?that is where I would start. Then a process of elimination.

The stripped case screws will cause that. Are you sure you got the case to seat properly with larger screws? It's surprising how little material off the ring gear causes it to hop teeth. I had 2 of my diff cap screws stripped when mine started it. I put longer ones in, but the damage had been done and on hard stops, it would chatter.

You can see a couple teeth with the tips gone:
2018-0820-OutcastFrontRingDamage.JPG

I replaced the entire diff/bulkhead case and diff after that.

I believe the outcast/notorious diffs have a 10 tooth pinion gear, where the others have a 13 tooth, so they are not interchangeable, unless you change both diffs. Just got done repairing the front diff on my Notorious, chipped a couple of teeth after very light jumping.

I believe the outcast/notorious diffs have a 10 tooth pinion gear, where the others have a 13 tooth, so they are not interchangeable, unless you change both diffs. Just got done repairing the front diff on my Notorious, chipped a couple of teeth after very light jumping.
Only the senton and Typhon are different. The Outcast is the same and the Kraton.

Yeah, I checked that before last year when I knocked the teeth off my diff and again before that when my bashing buddy with a Talion asked me to order him a diff off ebay for him. I didn't know the senton/typhon used different sizes, but I did know the kraton/talion/outcast/notorious used the same ones.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back