Typhon Crappy morning stripping screws and interesting 3s diff issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimbles

Certified unintentional RC destroyer
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Typhon 3s
Have not had a good start to the Bank Holiday! Rear diff on my typhon 3s had gone crunchy so was stripping down. Have had to murder a 3s diff yoke due to the worst stripped screw ever :( yes was using mip. Thankfully have a replacement plastic diff yokes.

20210402_112059.jpg
20210402_112108.jpg

Anyhoo check this out. Diff was crunchy because the little bearing inside had completely disintegrated. Anyone else ever seen this?

20210402_111332.jpg
20210402_111336.jpg
20210402_112049.jpg

Have not had a good start to the Bank Holiday! Rear diff on my typhon 3s had gone crunchy so was stripping down. Have had to murder a 3s diff yoke due to the worst stripped screw ever :( yes was using mip. Thankfully have a replacement plastic diff yokes.

View attachment 136594View attachment 136593

Anyhoo check this out. Diff was crunchy because the little bearing inside had completely disintegrated. Anyone else ever seen this?

View attachment 136597View attachment 136596View attachment 136595

Those bearings tend to fail more often with lower cst fluids.. especially with the factory bearings.. just think about how fast that tiny bearing is spinning during a full diff out..😱

That gpm yoke could have been saved if you drilled the head off the screw.. you could have pulled the one yoke half off and grabbed the remaining section of screw with vice grips and wheeled it right out.. but you got it sorted so that's all that counts..👍

Weird! Was it the stock one, or did you replace it with something else?
Upgraded bearing. From rcbearings.co.uk - tbf must have had 50 packs through it!
Those bearings tend to fail more often with lower cst fluids.. especially with the factory bearings.. just think about how fast that tiny bearing is spinning during a full diff out..😱

That gpm yoke could have been saved if you drilled the head off the screw.. you could have pulled the one yoke half off and grabbed the remaining section of screw with vice grips and wheeled it right out.. but you got it sorted so that's all that counts..👍
Man I was trying to save it, had managed to pry I tiny bit open and got the dremel in there to cut the screw, but I had damaged the parts which interlock when prying :( first world problem for sure and tbf I think the aluminium yokes are worth it so I will replace.

Last edited:
All well that ends well I guess

View attachment 136610

What's up with the edge of the hr diff cup? Looks chewed up? 🤔.. also your yoke halves look spread apart as if the width from bearing to bearing is incorrect.. if they are spread, the input bearing may not be fully entrapped by the 2 halves which can cause pinion yeild..

What's up with the edge of the hr diff cup? Looks chewed up?
Not chewed - just where I had an impact which pushed the diff pinion forward and it rubbed some paint/anodising off.

also your yoke halves look spread apart as if the width from bearing to bearing is incorrect
Hadn't tighten down the screws fully :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back