Credit card compromised

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT58

Very Active Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Talion
  5. Typhon TLR
  6. Vendetta
Since this happens to us all far too frequently I figured a good reminder post with some discussions about what we can all do to help prevent it would be helpful.
  • I avoid using a debit card unless I have no other choice. When I have to use an ATM I'm pretty selective of location and try to inspect it but it seems that's getting impossible to detect.
  • I use credit cards for everything (and pay the balance each month) for the added fraud protection as well as the rewards programs.
  • If credit cards aren't for you then look into a service like http://privacy.com to keep your account safe.
  • Citi (and maybe others) had a virtual credit card number for each transaction but they made the process more cumbersome so I stopped using it... now I use their card for all online stuff and they can deal with fixing the fraud issues like today.
  • Text (or email alerts) for every transaction to catch fraud quickly and to help as a reminder to enter transactions into my budget app (https://www.youneedabudget.com)

3rd time in about 2 months it's happened to me. Both the other cards had been used on holiday trips so anything is possible but today's compromised card hadn't been used in over a year until these 15 online transactions:

Screenshot 2019-01-16 12.01.41.png

Since this happens to us all far too frequently I figured a good reminder post with some discussions about what we can all do to help prevent it would be helpful.
  • I avoid using a debit card unless I have no other choice. When I have to use an ATM I'm pretty selective of location and try to inspect it but it seems that's getting impossible to detect.
  • I use credit cards for everything (and pay the balance each month) for the added fraud protection as well as the rewards programs.
  • If credit cards aren't for you then look into a service like http://privacy.com to keep your account safe.
  • Citi (and maybe others) had a virtual credit card number for each transaction but they made the process more cumbersome so I stopped using it... now I use their card for all online stuff and they can deal with fixing the fraud issues like today.
  • Text (or email alerts) for every transaction to catch fraud quickly and to help as a reminder to enter transactions into my budget app (https://www.youneedabudget.com)

3rd time in about 2 months it's happened to me. Both the other cards had been used on holiday trips so anything is possible but today's compromised card hadn't been used in over a year until these 15 online transactions:

View attachment 27445
Wow I hope everything gets squared away for you

View attachment 27445
Looks like someone that works in the hobby industry stole your information, or one of the online hobby stores has been hacked. Either way, sucks that this happens.

On an unrelated note, coming soon - my Notorious build thread.

More seriously, I use Privacy.com virtual cards for some transactions - I can second that.

Looks like someone that works in the hobby industry stole your information, or one of the online hobby stores has been hacked. Either way, sucks that this happens.

I doubt it was anyone from a vendor being malicious. Most likely a compromised credit card processor used by smaller online retailers.

ALWAYS use Paypal when using sites like ebay. Never use credit cards on there!!!! Most likely the culprit. My own was comprimised 3 years ago, 100% from an ebay transaction. Not one issue since I started using paypal for all online purchases.

I work in this field. One thing we are bringing to the market are cards with dynamic cvv2 on the back. That way if your card information is stolen, it can't be used where the cvv2 is required. The value changes about every 45 minutes. That along with the EMV chip will make fraud decline until the mag stripes can be removed. The US is so behind in this technology and see the most financial losses as a result.

Some good info @JT58, though I am not a privacy.com fan at all.

To be honest, despite tons of people raving about the service, I still didn't feel comfortable handing over my bank account information. Since I use credit cards for all my online purchases I really don't have a need for privacy.com anyways.

To be honest, despite tons of people raving about the service, I still didn't feel comfortable handing over my bank account information. Since I use credit cards for all my online purchases I really don't have a need for privacy.com anyways.
Movo is the best card to have ...

It's exactly that reason why I'm not a big fan. The amount and the kind of info you have to give them is anything but private. I'll stick with cash and my debit card.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back