Curious issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greengaunja

Ise da by' dat burns da Senton........
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Senton 3s
So last night I had the Senton 3s BLX 4x4 out for some runs at a park. On way back I decided to run my third battery down to storge level so hooked it up. Because we had snow recently followed by a thaw, the there was a nice long "lake" in middle of the parking lot. Being me, I was tricking the truck across it back and forth with nice hydroplaning drifts. Battery lowers to storage level, I shut it off and head home. Arriving home, I put it aside to take apart and clean up later.
3 hours later, I grab it to clean up before bed. And notice lights are on and fans running. WTF? I take it apart, inspect it, toggle the switch to no avail. Even this morning, cleaned up and dried it won't shut off.
I know this is likely a broken switch, but have NEVER heard of a switch "breaking on". Just curious if its happened to others here or if this is a sign of a deeper issue with the BLX100 esc. And this isnt the wettest its gotten before. I once tried to hydroplane across a creek only to have it sink and run perfectly after pulling out and shaking off.

Any ideas?

I'd disconnect my battery every time I'm done. Small effort and prevents unwanted battery drainage....
Sound advice. I normally do but got distracted. Meant to take apart and clean up better as soon as I got home. The hydroplane runs were more so to "wash" mud off. Again, your point stresses the need to disconnect when done.

Coming back to your original question I think the moisty conditions made the car stay/turn on. Maybe the first run caused a bit corrosion, making the electric problems on your last run possible....
I've also had electric issues with my lights now and then, and sometimes the water doesn't seem to affect the system and sometimes it just messes it up. (Switching on/off unintended)

Besides that, the 'always-on' situation is better then 'always-off' since you can always disconnect the battery when finished.

Update: Problem solved! ESC went FUBAR. Im now getting the Panicked Flashes Of Death.
Seeing as it was bought used and I have no receipt, guess I'm in the market for a new esc.
Coming back to your original question I think the moisty conditions made the car stay/turn on. Maybe the first run caused a bit corrosion, making the electric problems on your last run possible....
I've also had electric issues with my lights now and then, and sometimes the water doesn't seem to affect the system and sometimes it just messes it up. (Switching on/off unintended)

Besides that, the 'always-on' situation is better then 'always-off' since you can always disconnect the battery when finished.
Thanks. Thats what I initially thought and hoped it would return to normal when dry. Been at it all morning.

Thanks. Thats what I initially thought and hoped it would return to normal when dry. Been at it all morning.

Better stuck on than off?. I'd let it dry out real good blow off the switch extra good and see if she comes back to life. Switch failure isn't totally uncommon and a minor setback at best. Ya sucks but can still run your rig just have to plug and unplug everytime unless switch comes back to life

Disconnect your fan and try it again. The esc is only waterproof when fan is disconnected. A shorted/wet fan can and will make an esc act crazy.
I will give that a whirl when I get home. Thanks for the advice. At this stage, I will try anything as I already assume its blown. Should I disconnect the motor fan too?
Im assuming this didn't run the whole 3 hours since I put it down last night. I checked battery. It cuts off at 3.7 and battery was 3.3 when I tested this morning.

Well 3.3 is close. But you should be fine. Yeah why not. Disconnect all fans

Well 3.3 is close. But you should be fine. Yeah why not. Disconnect all fans
Update: disconnecting fans(and lights) made esc come back. Switch is still broken and can be easily replaced. The "RC Guru" at my local hobby shop added more insight into the issue. Switch probably went because switches go at one point or another. Normal issue. And although the esc is waterproof, the connections are not(unless its all tucked into the receiver box). The water shorted the esc through the quick connections i use for lights(motor fan was ok as it was connected to receiver inside box). Esc fan actually connects direct to esc on outside and is a "weak point"
So Lovestricken's advice was spot on. Now that everything is sufficiently dried out, truck runs normal again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back