Kraton Custom QUAD Cooling Fans & Motor Support Brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex Koder

2D , 3D Not a problem. I'll take that Challenge.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Nero
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vendetta
Been working on a little something for an AF member..

The original basic idea was to just mount four fans around a stock motor..
Two to draw cool air in from the side (down low) and two to exhaust heated air up and out...

Initial Sketch :

1666338687405.png

Rough Draft :

Modular QUAD 35mm Fans setup

1666339341592.png

1666339476024.png

The Fan Mount Brackets doubles as the Motor Support Brace.

Two to draw cool air in from the side (down low) and two to exhaust heated air up and out...

Initial Sketch :

View attachment 251337

Rough Draft :

View attachment 251339

View attachment 251340

Genius!
Not trying to give advice to Picasso on how to paint, but would it be possible to have the intake be "scooped"?
As you may or may not know I'm a gotta be different type.:rolleyes::LOL:

Initial Sketch :

View attachment 251337

Rough Draft :

View attachment 251339

View attachment 251340

You’re a beast brother! Can’t wait to try prototypes! Gonna be sick! And again wicked cool to see an idea come to life!🙏

Genius!
Not trying to give advice to Picasso on how to paint, but would it be possible to have the intake be "scooped"?
As you may or may not know I'm a gotta be different type.:rolleyes::LOL:
It's going to sound like a Hoover. 😆

So...
Make the "scoops" like a vacuum head?

Or, something more like a F-22 jet intakes?

He means ducts i guess. (inlet and/or outlet)

As much as i like your design, isn't it overkill?
Not for someone like me. In the summer it’s 100F and 90+% humidity. Everything I have runs a little hot but fine the rest of the year. This may be what I’m looking for.

So...
Make the "scoops" like a vacuum head?

Or, something more like a F-22 jet intakes?
1666364907044.png
🤷‍♂️ something easy to print but of course have a little cool looks factor to it. (this is just the 1st picture i found)
Please please suggested with all due respect and it was thought of just for me...I am NOT saying your design needs this in anyway. :)

Initial Sketch :

View attachment 251337

Rough Draft :

View attachment 251339

View attachment 251340

Looks to be a very functional and efficient cooling solution.
Cool Air forced in, Hot air sucked out Simultaneously. High CFM's should result.
Nice design. (y) (y) :cool:

Initial Sketch :

View attachment 251337

Rough Draft :

View attachment 251339

View attachment 251340

Love the modular design so u can easily make bigger fan mounts or singles …whatever the application calls for! My bro said u wer good but daaamn son! U have skills!🤯💥
Not for someone like me. In the summer it’s 100F and 90+% humidity. Everything I have runs a little hot but fine the rest of the year. This may be what I’m looking for.
It’s my brain child but wouldn’t have come alive so Tex ! and the modular design will allow for different size fans or single ..whatever the application calls for ..and scoops to draw cool air in on the sides wouldn’t be efficient unless you have an air gap between body and chassis to induct the colder air ..great idea if the application/vehicle air gap is correct because you def will be drawing colder air but in my tests it’s a very minimal difference in most vehicles like I said again if there’s space between the body and chassis it’s a great idea but I have body mounts to my chassis,side skirts with body locks or painters tape on my speed running cars like most so wouldn’t help me but ….great input !

Last edited:
Looks to be a very functional and efficient cooling solution.
Cool Air forced in, Hot air sucked out Simultaneously. High CFM's should result.
Nice design. (y) (y) :cool:
That’s my plan ! I’ve done extensive testing and can’t wait to see my vision come to life ! Tex is a beast and total professional!

He means ducts i guess. (inlet and/or outlet)

As much as i like your design, isn't it overkill?
Unless there’s an air gap or space between body and chassis there’s no advantage I can see as most speed runners have body locks or side skirts with body locks or good ol fashion painters tape so there’s very little air coming in through the body and chassis …now if we’re talking a lot basher or something with the space needed like a vendetta for example with no skirts or a rig like a kraton for instance then that’s diff and u will most likely notice a temp diff because there’s plenty of space to induct that cold air ! And would look pretty cool too!

Unless there’s an air gap or space between body and chassis there’s no advantage I can see as most speed runners have body locks or side skirts with body locks or good ol fashion painters tape so there’s very little air coming in through the body and chassis …now if we’re talking a lot basher or something with the space needed like a vendetta for example with no skirts or a rig like a kraton for instance then that’s diff and u will most likely notice a temp diff because there’s plenty of space to induct that cold air ! And would look pretty cool too!
Fans on speed run cars do absolutely nothing to cool the motor during a run. I only have fans to cool down the motor quicker in between runs, in which the body is off anyways. But for bashers I’m willing to bet this works. @Tex Koder. I have a TP5650 in a drift limitless. Not much room to spare between the can and the chassis. Also have a HW4985 in an Outcast. Anything you can do with this new design and those setups?

Thank you guys for all the compliments and feedback!

I still have a few things I need to fine tune.. Make sure it's overall a solid mount..
Also need to decide if this should be a friction fit or will need some sort of clamp to hold it in place.. For both the fans plate and the motor brackets...

Plus, I'm thinking of designing in a Temperature Probe/Sensor Holder into the mount or have it as a separate piece..

Thank you guys for all the compliments and feedback!

I still have a few things I need to fine tune.. Make sure it's overall a solid mount..
Also need to decide if this should be a friction fit or will need some sort of clamp to hold it in place.. For both the fans plate and the motor brackets...

Plus, I'm thinking of designing in a Temperature Probe/Sensor Holder into the mount or have it as a separate piece..
I almost suggested some sort of clamp but you're already onto it.

A fan duct is not a scoop, it focusses/controles the airflow of the fan, making it more efficient.
As @LicketySplit already sad, for speedrunning cooling is just there between runs. I did assume it was for speedrunning given the 4080 motor.
Actual scoops for speedrunning would be a bad idea. Anything disturbing the aero would create more heat then it plausably could take away.

For (non- lose sand/mud) bashing i'd say go for scoops all the away, certainly at hot summers you need all the cooling you can get. Still i would gear down when you hit thermal protection to quickly.
In general a BL motor has a very efficient thermal design. If it gets too hot, it load or load pattern is the problem.

Printed several initial tests for fitment...

IMG_20221023_105800838.jpg

IMG_20221023_105803854.jpg

IMG_20221023_110024007.jpg

IMG_20221023_113856181.jpg

IMG_20221023_154556895.jpg

IMG_20221023_154447488_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221023_154511454_HDR.jpg

The Friction-Fit version is not going to work ,not in any consistent 'reliable' way..
I'm not able to get the printed fan plates to easily slide into the brackets ,due to the small variances during the print process.
Some of the plates can be pressed fit into the brackets (with some extra motivation!) and some just won't go on ,at all...
(With the fans mounted on the plate ,it would be even more frustrating to install I'd imagine.)

Obviously I could make the tolerances 'looser' for the plates to slide on ,but then when the fans are installed and the weight of them being thrashed around during a bashing session, it'll more than likely come loose..

Need to figure out another solution to install these plates..

Printed several initial tests for fitment...

View attachment 251782

View attachment 251783

View attachment 251784

View attachment 251785

View attachment 251786

View attachment 251788

View attachment 251789

The Friction-Fit version is not going to work ,not in any consistent 'reliable' way..
I'm not able to get the printed fan plates to easily slide into the brackets ,due to the small variances during the print process.
Some of the plates can be pressed fit into the brackets and some just won't go on ,at all...

Obviously I could make the tolerances 'looser' for the plates to slide on ,but then when the fans are installed and the weight of them being thrashed around during a bashing session, it'll more than likely come loose..

Need to figure out another solution to install these plates..
I thought you must have had the outer screw holes on the fan plate going through into the motor brackets?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back