Custom RC Snowcat Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday update:

Lights. I had two rotating beacons come in from Amazon and they work pretty good. I’ll show how I installed them later on when my other lights come in. Now I’m drilling out some holes in the fake lights for the real ones.

Just a short one today.

85C4BFF8-6479-4C26-8947-6EA48B7C61D9.jpeg

I got a motor ordered on amazon. It was supposed to be here a week ago… now it’s saying from December 2nd to the 23rd. I was hopping to get this done by the 20th because we are going as a family to the ski mountains on the 1st of January. I figured that would be a good place to run it off to the side, and though some one up there would like to see it run.

I’m back!!! We got a motor and I think that we are on the homestretch (knock on wood 😂). I am going to attach the drive wheel the same way I did before and I’ll send another post as soon as I’m able to get that. Hopefully I can still make my unofficial due date of January 1st 2023

image.jpg

image.jpg

I apologize for the long time in between messages

I have one of the motors attached and was able to get it moving. 160 rpm was a bit slower then I thought it would be so I’ll probably upgrade them in the near future. I’ll send a video once I have both working
Here are some photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 50
I think as many have figured, I have not been able to get the snow cat to work. I am sooo close, but i have really run out of options. The motors are the problem. There just is not a slow and strong enough motor to fit where I need. I have seen some videos of other people converting this but they have custom fabricated parts to make it work. I would need to make a new chassis to house the motors on either side, but i simply don't have the time/tools to do so. I really wanted this to work out, but I think for now it’s just time for me to move on. ill keep the snowcat under my work bench, maybe during the summer when i don't have school to worry about i can tinker with it. If i do anything more on it I’ll send a message here, and maybe we can see the finished product.

I think as many have figured, I have not been able to get the snow cat to work. I am sooo close, but i have really run out of options. The motors are the problem. There just is not a slow and strong enough motor to fit where I need. I have seen some videos of other people converting this but they have custom fabricated parts to make it work. I would need to make a new chassis to house the motors on either side, but i simply don't have the time/tools to do so. I really wanted this to work out, but I think for now it’s just time for me to move on. ill keep the snowcat under my work bench, maybe during the summer when i don't have school to worry about i can tinker with it. If i do anything more on it I’ll send a message here, and maybe we can see the finished product.
Do you have any pictures of what would need to be different, we hate seeing a project have to be abandoned, but I understand.

Do you have any pictures of what would need to be different, we hate seeing a project have to be abandoned, but I understand.
Trust me i hate it too, im just so burnt out of the project right now its hard to find motivation
Did you try gear reducers? This was from my kid’s RZR after he sent it a bit too hard.

View attachment 288674
Never seen/thought of that before. What company is that from?

I was able to take a picture of what is stopping me atm. In the circled bit, i needed to grind away at the casing where there was a gear reducer, because the track couldn’t connect and it wouldn’t grab on to the drive gear. Because i needed to grind the casing away, there is now a big open hole at the bottom. I still need to fill it in, but it would need to be on the inside, as the track runs over it. I can get all of that worked out, but i just cant find any good material to do it.

I forgot to add in the top message that I accidentally snapped one of my drive wheels in half. I don't have a 3D printer so i would need to find a why to glue or do something else to get it back to one piece.
For got to add this above ^^

Attachments

• 68C24A91-FDA5-4F74-83B1-74B1160F5413.jpeg
    68C24A91-FDA5-4F74-83B1-74B1160F5413.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 41
I was able to take a picture of what is stopping me atm. In the circled bit, i needed to grind away at the casing where there was a gear reducer, because the track couldn’t connect and it wouldn’t grab on to the drive gear. Because i needed to grind the casing away, there is now a big open hole at the bottom. I still need to fill it in, but it would need to be on the inside, as the track runs over it. I can get all of that worked out, but i just cant find any good material to do it.

I forgot to add in the top message that I accidentally snapped one of my drive wheels in half. I don't have a 3D printer so i would need to find a why to glue or do something else to get it back to one piece.
For got to add this above ^^
Design the thing you need on a CAD software. Send me the file and I should be able print it if you’d like. You’d just have to cover shipping. I would use black PLA, it’s what I have atm.

Never seen/thought of that before. What company is that from?
You can find gear reducers on Amazon/eBay for different applications.
Might have to make a bushing or drill out depending on the shaft/spindle size and create a set screw lock between teeth if it’s a driver and not an idler transfer.

Design the thing you need on a CAD software. Send me the file and I should be able print it if you’d like. You’d just have to cover shipping. I would use black PLA, it’s what I have atm.
I appreciate the offer, i don't know if I’m skilled enough to make it the right size and the right spacing. I’ll take a look, do you have any suggestions for an easy software?

@Tex Koder @LibertyMKiii any idea on free CAD software? I use F360 but it’s $$$$$

Take a look at my Build Thread ,I have all the 3D software listed there down the page.

I appreciate the offer, i don't know if I’m skilled enough to make it the right size and the right spacing. I’ll take a look, do you have any suggestions for an easy software?

"Easy" is a relative word...
They are all easy if you know drafting and understand mechanical engineering. 😁

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back