Custom Traxxas Maxx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As it turns out, I couldn't gear mine tall enough for clearing the jumps I hit at the grass bmx I run at without overheating the mmx/1515 2200kv combo and backflip lp's. I ended up going 6S and gearing to 21/50. The motor still runs on the warm side, but it does much better now and I have plenty of speed to clear the big gaps.

I run the backflip lp's, but I wrapped them with 550lb kevlar cored cord. I also mounted them on traxxas 8671 wheels to get the 1/2" offset vs the arrma 1/4" offset. I wish traxxas had the wheels in red since the maxx I got was red... but I went with their black ones.
2021-0716-maxx-probodyrc-yellow-side.jpg

I recently tried a set of trencher lp's. I didn't want to chew up the backflips at my skate park. The concrete there is pretty rough and hard on tires. I've run trencher MT's on my larger 6S trucks there and they held up fine. However, the trencher really suck in the grass. Fishtail all over the place and a ton of wheel spin. Half my pack was probably wasted in wheel spin in the grass. So I'll only run the trenchers when running locally at the skate park or in the winter and keep the backflips for the grass bmx track I run at.
2021-0806-maxx-trencherLP-side.jpg

I also ended up getting the cvd's. I started with the wide kit out of the box and put the MMX/1515 2200kv in it as well before driving it the first time. I sold off the stock electronics/wheels/tires. I had the MMX/2200kv on hand from a savage flux hp that I sold to make room for the maxx. The hubs are from my e-revo 2.0, which is why they are blue instead of red. I have +10mm offset hubs on the e-revo, so I used these on the maxx so I didn't have to buy a new set on top of the cost of the cvd's.

As it turns out, I couldn't gear mine tall enough for clearing the jumps I hit at the grass bmx I run at without overheating the mmx/1515 2200kv combo and backflip lp's. I ended up going 6S and gearing to 21/50. The motor still runs on the warm side, but it does much better now and I have plenty of speed to clear the big gaps.

I run the backflip lp's, but I wrapped them with 550lb kevlar cored cord. I also mounted them on traxxas 8671 wheels to get the 1/2" offset vs the arrma 1/4" offset. I wish traxxas had the wheels in red since the maxx I got was red... but I went with their black ones.
2021-0716-maxx-probodyrc-yellow-side.jpg

I recently tried a set of trencher lp's. I didn't want to chew up the backflips at my skate park. The concrete there is pretty rough and hard on tires. I've run trencher MT's on my larger 6S trucks there and they held up fine. However, the trencher really suck in the grass. Fishtail all over the place and a ton of wheel spin. Half my pack was probably wasted in wheel spin in the grass. So I'll only run the trenchers when running locally at the skate park or in the winter and keep the backflips for the grass bmx track I run at.
2021-0806-maxx-trencherLP-side.jpg

I also ended up getting the cvd's. I started with the wide kit out of the box and put the MMX/1515 2200kv in it as well before driving it the first time. I sold off the stock electronics/wheels/tires. I had the MMX/2200kv on hand from a savage flux hp that I sold to make room for the maxx. The hubs are from my e-revo 2.0, which is why they are blue instead of red. I have +10mm offset hubs on the e-revo, so I used these on the maxx so I didn't have to buy a new set on top of the cost of the cvd's.
Great information here. Thanks for sharing as I’m considering some of the same upgrades to my Maxx.

PS I keep hearing about a grass blx track in Yorkville. Any chance that’s the one you’re talking about?

My Maxx

47C2EAFC-62BF-4DE8-96F1-88BBC1C2CFD9.jpeg

Other than a TRX4 it’s the only Traxxas i have, wide kit, cvds & 7075 hubs. Expensive but worth it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back