Cut wheel wells before or after painting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suchtragedy

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡ɯɹɐ loɹʇuoɔ ǝʞoɹq
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Felony
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Limitless
  7. Kraton 6s
  8. Outcast 4s
  9. Typhon 3s
  10. Voltage
Just curious if there's one preferred over the other and why? To me it seems like it would be better to cut first then paint after but I've seen vids of both ways so not sure why it's not unanimously one way or the other.

Just curious if there's one preferred over the other and why? To me it seems like it would be better to cut first then paint after but I've seen vids of both ways so not sure why it's not unanimously one way or the other.
I think it would be better to cut and then paint! I have painted 1 body and cut it before. I was scared MAYBE it would chip:LOL:. I also become thicker so it would be harder to cut:rolleyes:. But I think it weird to paint and then cut. It's the same thing as pouring ur milk first then the cereal.?‍♂️?‍♂️

Only thing I can think of for waiting is that the well wells may shift slightly after the body holes are cut and the body gets fully seated, but then if you wait until after painting it's still going suck because now it's painted and you can't see through it, unless you keep the well part masked but then what's the point of you do that? lol

So I guess that leads me to a follow-up question about body holes should I do those before or after?

And last question for sanity check.. paint darks before lights, right?

I’m doing a body right now myself. Always rough cut first. Test fit. Final cut. Test fit. Sand edges. Mark body holes. Cut front holes and test fit. Cut rear holes and test fit. Make any other holes you need for tethers or body protection. Test fit one last time.

Now you need to wash the body with hot soapy wooder (ChrisFix). I like to use steel wool to scuff the inside as I wash. Rinse well and dry with lint free microfiber cloth.

Now I rinse again with isopropyl alcohol and let air dry. Then start masking, careful not to get dirt or oil anywhere on the inside. Wear gloves without powder.

Now you’re ready to paint ?

Thanks guys. Acetone supposedly isn't as chemically safe for lexan as isopropyl alcohol so I will use isopropyl for the final cleaning. Do I need to just simply rinse with it and let it dry or can it be wiped dry? Not sure if wipe dry leaves streaks or not.

Also I am going to using liquid mask since it seems to make things way easier (cleaner edges, see through, no residue, etc).

Thanks for the tips guys most appreciated.

I’m doing a body right now myself. Always rough cut first. Test fit. Final cut. Test fit. Sand edges. Mark body holes. Cut front holes and test fit. Cut rear holes and test fit. Make any other holes you need for tethers or body protection. Test fit one last time.

Now you need to wash the body with hot soapy wooder (ChrisFix). I like to use steel wool to scuff the inside as I wash. Rinse well and dry with lint free microfiber cloth.

Now I rinse again with isopropyl alcohol and let air dry. Then start masking, careful not to get dirt or oil anywhere on the inside. Wear gloves without powder.

Now you’re ready to paint ?
I thought it was soapy wetter?

-edit- Nope I am wrong, idk why I could have sworn it was soapy wetter.......sad thing is I watch his videos all the time.

Last edited:
I’ve painted quite a few bodies and I agree with everyone here
Cut/test fit and sand
I just use dawn and super hot water with a good dish scrubber ..and let it dry
Then I paint ..I only use alcohol on the windows after removing the masks so I can tint the windows

Thanks guys. Acetone supposedly isn't as chemically safe for lexan as isopropyl alcohol so I will use isopropyl for the final cleaning. Do I need to just simply rinse with it and let it dry or can it be wiped dry? Not sure if wipe dry leaves streaks or not.

Also I am going to using liquid mask since it seems to make things way easier (cleaner edges, see through, no residue, etc).

Thanks for the tips guys most appreciated.
I find IPA evaporates really quickly so I let it drip dry to avoid any chances of lint.

Back