Mojave CVDs in rear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expl0it4

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Got about 5 packs into my new exb build and I believe a twig that got stuck up in the rear a arm toasted an inner bearing. With the open rear design this got me thinking this could be an ongoing problem. Using the front cvd style setup in the rear sounds like a good plan but upon searching I keep seeing conflicting information about whether or not these just bolt right up and work as they should. Anybody done this? Any issues with them being too tight or loose?

Quite a few run CVD's in the rear and like it. I made two rear mudguards (a cheap plastic container will also do) from Lexan to keep as much dirt out. Cheape and very easy to make(y)
1647873777951.png

I had a issue with the rear bearings and rear axle popping out on my Mojave Exb after a couple runs. I tried Rcawd front cvds and the pins wore out in one pack. I am now trying gpm cvds and so far so good, 2 packs/runs and no issues so far.

I had a issue with the rear bearings and rear axle popping out on my Mojave Exb after a couple runs. I tried Rcawd front cvds and the pins wore out in one pack. I am now trying gpm cvds and so far so good, 2 packs/runs and no issues so far.
Out of curiosity why did you decide to not use the arrma CVDs?

Availability to me, the hardened axles are supposedly longer lasting/stronger and the Rcawd we're the quickest I could get some.

Availability to me, the hardened axles are supposedly longer lasting/stronger and the Rcawd we're the quickest I could get some.
Gotcha. Well horizon was nice enough to mail me a new hub (got torn up when the inner bearing let go) and a new dog bone (pin broke). I'll reassemble with fast eddy bearings and my scorched fenders should be here by then. If it continues to be an issue at least I have a plan b.

So the GPM CVDS just mount right up on your EXB Mojave? The Arrma ones too? So just buy some front Arrma CVDS for the rear of my Mojave? I thought you needed a couple of extra parts for that to work? Thanks

So the GPM CVDS just mount right up on your EXB Mojave? The Arrma ones too? So just buy some front Arrma CVDS for the rear of my Mojave? I thought you needed a couple of extra parts for that to work? Thanks
That's what I'm saying, it's confusing. I read yeah it bolts right up and I hear you need hex extenders for the right fitment on the dogbones.

It was a straight swap out. They are a lil tight. I am waiting until I have more runs in before I could say it's worthwhile upgrade . I ground out the diff cups some w a Dremel to provide more clearance at full bottom out, outer edges of cups. I see that they rubbed the fatter gpm axles at full bottom out of the shocks . The +2 hubs from my understanding is so the wheels don't rub the carriers , won't loosen and loose a wheel. I didn't have the wheels coming loose issue. I went with +2 hubs at the same time because I'm running dr8 wheels and tires sometimes and they have a deeper hole/hex. At work at the min, I will add some pics tonight.

It was a straight swap out. They are a lil tight. I am waiting until I have more runs in before I could say it's worthwhile upgrade . I ground out the diff cups some w a Dremel to provide more clearance at full bottom out, outer edges of cups. I see that they rubbed the fatter gpm axles at full bottom out of the shocks . The +2 hubs from my understanding is so the wheels don't rub the carriers , won't loosen and loose a wheel. I didn't have the wheels coming loose issue. I went with +2 hubs at the same time because I'm running dr8 wheels and tires sometimes and they have a deeper hole/hex. At work at the min, I will add some pics tonight.
Remove the rubber stoppers in the diff outdrives.

Pictures from earlier to follow... When the rear shock is fully compressed the cvd axles rubbed the diff cups slightly. When I had the diff out, I ground the cups a little deeper all around, last run no new nicks on the new axles. I noticed nicks on my stock axles and the other aftermarket ones too. With the Rcawd axles I didn't run the rubber inserts in the cups , with the gpm ones I have so far. Adjusting the rear camber also has an effect with where the axle rides in the cup during suspension movement as well.

IMG_20220321_181716_1.jpg

IMG_20220321_181716_1.jpg

IMG_20220321_181629_9.jpg

IMG_20220321_181732_9.jpg

IMG_20220321_181912_6.jpg

IMG_20220321_181519_9~2.jpg

When running it I should mention I was hitting whoops at 3/4 throttle and a slight angle due to them being too deep for the Mojaves approach and departure angle. So fully compressing the shocks at pretty good speed.
And here's the +2 to stock hubs, with these tires I was running the wheels would rub without a deeper spacer. I also used a 2x12 mm o-ring first, to make sure I liked the tires and they would hold up, before I got the hubs.

IMG_20220321_184533_2.jpg

IMG_20220321_184308_2.jpg

IMG_20220321_184411_6.jpg

IMG_20220321_184440_4.jpg

VID_20220219_154458_exported_3651.jpg

VID_20220219_154458_exported_235284~2.jpg

Last edited:
The front Arrma Mojo cvd's fit fine on the rear of my V1 RTR Mojo. Never any issues for a few years now. Original. Nothing broke. I run 6s electrics FWIW.
Got mine from JennysRC.

@SrC
Good to now it's plug and play:cool:. I see that the CVD's would cost almost 50% more than the stock setup of wheel axles+dogbones.
Any other benefits other than no longer have the risk of the rear dogbone popping out (not having experienced that so far) and losing it? Also better durability or just coolness factor?;)

The rear wheel bearing life should be improved without the groove to let dirt in and behind the bearing like with the stock dogbone setup. I felt having that groove and the super dry dusty conditions I am currently running in packs the bearing w dust.

The rear wheel bearing life should be improved without the groove to let dirt in and behind the bearing like with the stock dogbone setup. I felt having that groove and the super dry dusty conditions I am currently running in packs the bearing w dust.
Good point👍, especially my rear bearings don’t last long in the fine (dune) sand I’m running on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back