Kraton Damaged 6S LiPo battery question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConanDan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I have a 6S lipo battery that I damaged in a hard landing.

The front is dented a little bit, other than that it's ok. it seems to have lost some of its power when fully charged too. There is no bulging or swelling.

When charging, it charges for about 2 hours and the charger says "timed out." All my settings are correct (double and triple checked that) my amps are not set too low or too high? I own a HiTech X2 fast charger.

My question is, should I dispose of this battery? Should I stop using it due to a fire hazard or any other kind of hazard...? It runs ok in the Kraton, it's not 100% and it doesn't last as long anymore. Not sure what I should do with it??? As we all know these batteries are not cheap!

See pictures below of battery
Thanks guys.

This is what it should look like, this is the back of the battery. (I wrap them in gorilla tape)
image.jpg

This is the front, you can see the damage on the corners, they are not square or symmetrical
image.jpg

Not worth the risk, could blow at anytime. Cut the two leads at different lengths and put it in a bucket of saltwater for a few days then toss in the garbage

I wouldn't use it, sounds like it's a write-off. Not worth the risk. This is also the reason I only use hard-case packs in my bashers. :eek:

Thanks for the info fellas!

Chalmene, I'm not familiar with "hard case packs?" Is that an aftermarket cover for your battery? Or is that the plastic case around the battery when you buy it?
Thanks!

I wouldn't use it, sounds like it's a write-off. Not worth the risk. This is also the reason I only use hard-case packs in my bashers. :eek:

Can I salvage the XT90 connections from this Battery even if they are soldered? Or do I need to buy another connection for the replacement battery?

Thanks for the info fellas!

Chalmene, I'm not familiar with "hard case packs?" Is that an aftermarket cover for your battery? Or is that the plastic case around the battery when you buy it?
Thanks!

Can I salvage the XT90 connections from this Battery even if they are soldered? Or do I need to buy another connection for the replacement battery?

Hard case packs come with a hard plastic case around them, instead of just heat shrink wrap. I would just buy new connectors. The plastic plugs are more or less one-time use, at least the ones I have dealt with. You could recycle the bullets though, I suppose.

These are the packs I am using, they are hard-case.

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_99&product_id=159

Mind you, they are 3s packs, so you would need 2 of them.

You can use your charger to discharge the Lipo down before disposal. Do a search for the procedure on Google. There is a bunch of info on what to do with a bad battery. Yo may want to have it in some sand in a metal case if you discharge it.

You can also build a battery case that better protects the soft case from damage. All a hard case battery is is a lipo inside a plastic case.

Last edited:
You need to invest in lipo voltage tester, like 25 bux for one. It would tell you if you had a bad cell, or a cell at lower voltage than the rest. But that battery is toast, toss it and get a new one. I had brand new battery I overcharged and it puffed badly, tossed it and bought another. Learned a valuable lesson that day. I will never do that again. I also now run only hard packs in my kraton. 2 spc 7200mah 60c 3s or a single 4s smc 6500mah 65c.

not sure i would wrap my battery in gorilla tape either . lipos get hot during use ,this heat needs to escape ,you are adding alot of extra heat with that tape job . just something to think about .

not sure i would wrap my battery in gorilla tape either . lipos get hot during use ,this heat needs to escape ,you are adding alot of extra heat with that tape job . just something to think about .

You bring up a good point. A friend suggested to wrap them in gorilla tape, but I think you're right.

I just purchased a replacement 6s LiPo and I will not wrap this one up :)

Is there an after market cover that is made to prevent damage while bashing? If so, I would love some info?? Or even homemade cover would be great, all ideas welcome!

You bring up a good point. A friend suggested to wrap them in gorilla tape, but I think you're right.

Is there an after market cover that is made to prevent damage while bashing? If so, I would love some info?? Or even homemade cover would be great, all ideas welcome!

When you are running 2 packs stacked on each other, you have to secure them together or they will slide around. I have mine strapped together with Gorilla tape also, as well as people I bash with. None of us have had any problems, I don't suppose it is a huge issue. Then again, I do not completely encase the packs in tape, just enough to keep them together.

thats what hard case lipos are for . although i am guilty as well of running soft packs .i just strap them in well next to each other(not stacked) and have not had a problem . even cartwheeled the kraton and they didnt move around . theres always that chance though .
either run the risk or buy hard case lipos ,tape wont stop that spur gear from getting into your lipo .most of all ,just have fun .

So how much hotter do they get inside a hard case compared to Gorilla tape ?

I've been bashing soft case batteries for years. You just have to make sure you secure them well and provide some protection. Gorilla tape works well to keep the heat shrink from getting worn out. Use lots of Velcro on the bottom of the tray, good straps and add protection near the center Diff. Sometimes you can't get the 6S that you want in a hard case. But I always try to get the hard case first. I rather have one also. I've seen a few 3D printed hard cases made for lipo's for example.... also you can just make your own hard case if you want to get creative.

Last edited:
So how much hotter do they get inside a hard case compared to Gorilla tape ?

I've been bashing soft case batteries for years. You just have to make sure you secure them well and provide some protection. Gorilla tape works well to keep the heat shrink from getting worn out. Use lots of Velcro on the bottom of the tray, good straps and add protection near the center Diff. Sometimes you can't get the 6S that you want in a hard case. But I always try to get the hard case first. I rather have one also. I've seen a few 3D printed hard cases made for LiPo's for example.... also you can just make your own hard case if you want to get creative.
Yea, my buddy runs a couple soft packs that must have a full roll of tape around them. He's been using the same packs for a couple years lol. No problems with them.

Yea, my buddy runs a couple soft packs that must have a full roll of tape around them. He's been using the same packs for a couple years lol. No problems with them.

LOL...I hate to use the tape but Gorilla tape is proving to fix more than Duct Tape !!! I went with the Gorilla tape for my 3S packs in my Slash and under some Lexan bodies. I'm still building my battery box for my Kraton 6S brick. It's a work in progress...gathering tools and material now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back