Kraton Damaged Outdrives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is caused by hard throttling. Full trigger from dead stops and on/off full trigger. The out drives are known for being soft and the hard throttling eats them up. One way to reduces this is to spray them with some kind of lubricant other than wd40. WD40 is water based and causes more damage than good. I spray mine down after each bashing session with PB blaster, it's a lubricant and prevents rust. You will need to replace these and you can search the forums on how to harden them. Some use water for this and others use oil, the oil seems to be the best way because it cools slower making the metal stronger. Good luck with it.

Can I use normal olive oil? lol Or Bike oil??

Can I use normal olive oil? lol Or Bike oil??
If they are already worn I'd recommend replacing them. You can either replace them with the mugen ones or stock replacements. If you get the stock ones, before you install them you can harden them yourself, it's not hard to do. Place them on something hard that doesn't burn, use a propane/butane torch to heat them until glowing red, use pliers or something similar to pick them up and put them in a hard container, something that won't burn or melt when these hit bottom, filled with enough motor oil to cover them and let them cool to room temperature, do this outside in a safe place because the oil will ignite into flames but only briefly. Yes, motor oil that you use for a real car. This will harden them and they'll last longer and take more abuse.

If they are already worn I'd recommend replacing them. You can either replace them with the mugen ones or stock replacements. If you get the stock ones, before you install them you can harden them yourself, it's not hard to do. Place them on something hard that doesn't burn, use a propane/butane torch to heat them until glowing red, use pliers or something similar to pick them up and put them in a hard container, something that won't burn or melt when these hit bottom, filled with enough motor oil to cover them and let them cool to room temperature, do this outside in a safe place because the oil will ignite into flames but only briefly. Yes, motor oil that you use for a real car. This will harden them and they'll last longer and take more abuse.
I harden all of mine and it's TRUE they last longer than my dogbones now unfortunately I think since I harden them they actually eat my pins off the dog bones lol
see what I'm saying lol

Attachments

• 20190507_191513.jpg
    20190507_191513.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 89
I harden all of mine and it's TRUE they last longer than my dogbones now unfortunately I think since I harden them they actually eat my pins off the dog bones lol
see what I'm saying lol
You might could try hardening the ends of the dog bones. Maybe a thought?

Will the Mugen fit straight in ??

please tell us if it worked or the aluminum melted
there is no aluminum in the dog bones and you have to be careful over heating or trying it multiple times on the same piece makes the steal brittle it's more likely to just snap ....that dog bone in the picture and diff cup has a solid year of abuse.. I think I'll try to harden the dog bone but tbh... just the diff cup is probably best you want something to give or you will be back in the same place you started....I could be wrong it's just a delicate process... if you really want to get into hardening your cups and dog bones the right way you need to know exactly the steal involved and the exact temperature necessary before the quench!! to hot it gets brittle to cold and you just made it softer than it was before you started ... I use a pretty nice temp gun and some pretty old motor oil... I think about 1500°F is the sweet spot for me but I havnt really had the need to mess around with this so I could be wrong idk I'm not an expert just what's worked for me so far ... the pin in the dog bones is actually already tool steal if I'm not mistaken that's actually pretty hard stuff so I feel like trying to get it harder will only make it brittle .... hope this helps anyone thinking about doing this ... you can always eye ball get it glowing red or orange then throw it in the oil lol ...just know there is a science to this if you strive for perfection do your research...

this is kinda dangerous glowing hot steal has no mercy anything it touches will catch on fire including the oil you quench in so be prepared a fire extinguisher on hand is always the smart idea just be safe guys and do this outside please !

Aren’t the v4 kratons already shimmed
some are some are not ....i would check every diff before I even ran it I don't care if it's new or not lol...you would be surprised at what some of us have found wrong with these diffs strait from the factory it's rare but poop happens

you have to be careful over heating or trying it multiple times on the same piece makes the steal brittle it's more likely to just snap

That is why after you go to high temp with a torch and quench, you then temper it. Your household oven will work for this purpose.

Then it won’t tear the dog bones up ??
still unknown lol someone has to try it ... my only thing is like I said before the dog bones pin is already hardened steal and I don't know if it gets to hard if it will break or just start eating the diff cup again lol ..I'm happy with just my diff cups being hardened cause they are harder to change vs the dog bones ...ones I get the m3 dog bones they have a set screw that allows you to replace the pins so I'm going that route eventually...before I do I'm gonna try what powerdubs said on the old ones and see what happens... I'll give it a few tries actually if I don't get it right the first time ... it's all trial and error

still unknown lol someone has to try it ... my only thing is like I said before the dog bones pin is already hardened steal and I don't know if it gets to hard if it will break or just start eating the diff cup again lol ..I'm happy with just my diff cups being hardened cause they are harder to change vs the dog bones ...ones I get the m3 dog bones they have a set screw that allows you to replace the pins so I'm going that route eventually...before I do I'm gonna try what powerdubs said on the old ones and see what happens... I'll give it a few tries actually if I don't get it right the first time ... it's all trial and error

do you know if you can buy the pins seperately? because i was able to hammer one out of a broken cvd

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back