Damaged parts. Upgrade advice welcome

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like life changing stores, parts, oh and shiny things. Thanks for the debt.
Debt is all part of the hobby and believe me, we all know. Jennys RC is just a way of keeping the totals lower. New parts off brand new vehicles, conveniently bundled so you'll always have spares. Trust me, if they had frequent flyer miles, I'd have circled the globe a few times already?

Boil the rpm wing mount. That seems to have helped my 3rd RPM mount last longer than it's predecessors. I had purchased a couple stock wing mounts as well for my outcast to have on hand. So far, the boiled RPM one has held up the longest of the 4 or 5 I've installed (stock/rpm unboiled).

Had a rough session of bashing last week. Broke control arms, rear wing mount and body shattered. Long story short, can anyone recommend talion upgrades?

get an aluminum wing brace from voltage or someone comparable.. those usually break when the wing breaks but you don't notice it til you break two more wings. lol

Boil the rpm wing mount. That seems to have helped my 3rd RPM mount last longer than it's predecessors. I had purchased a couple stock wing mounts as well for my outcast to have on hand. So far, the boiled RPM one has held up the longest of the 4 or 5 I've installed (stock/rpm unboiled).

When you boil parts like that how long do you let it soak? 100% water? I’ve seen people say boil this or that but I’ve yet to try it

I only boiled the wing mount. Got the water to a rolling boil, threw the wing mount in and shut off the burner, then took the wing mount out when it was cool enough to handle.

Not sure it really does anything, but seemed to make it last longer so far. Could be like sugar pills... placebo effect.

The last one I had installed broke on a flat landing from about 10-12 feet up. I didn't even land on the mount, was literally a 4 wheel flat landing in the grass at the grass bmx track. I don't run a wing though, I have a hunk of TPR 1/2" plastic in place of a wing as I wanted something more resilient than a wing, but still wanted something to be able to take a bit of grinding on concrete and whatnot besides the wing mount on it's own.

2019-0817-Outcast-TitaniumRearTower-LPWingMountBlock-angle.jpg

I have a similar thing on my ERBEv2.

Actually, I believe that was a arrma low profile wing mount that broke on the flat landing... hard to keep track, been through 5 or 6 wing mounts in a year, 2 or 3 stock and 2 or 3 RPM. This last one I currently have installed was the only one I boiled and it's RPM.

So I noticed you have your tires tied. I've read about that. Does that prevent tires from ballooning,equaling more traction? How did you do it and what other hacks are popular and worth it?

So I noticed you have your tires tied. I've read about that. Does that prevent tires from ballooning,equaling more traction? How did you do it and what other hacks are popular and worth it?
Most use braided fishing line. Some go in between the lugs of the tire, and some actually punch through the lugs. Whichever way you do it, you have to keep an eye on that line. If it splits, there's a good chance the line will get tangled in your axles. If you do, be sure to add a drop of CA glue to the knot when done. The other way that people are helping to reduce ballooning, is by venting the actual tire. Here's a good video on one of the ways to do it:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-did-you-buy-today.48/post-90765

And here's a couple of pics showing the pass through the lug way. Honestly, the line didn't last very long once you hit rough terrain.
20190120_161201.jpg
20190120_161233.jpg

Prevents them from ballooning and exploding, coming off the wheel or turning into pizza cutters when you get up above 40mph. Those are the only reasons I do it.

I have all my 6S truck tires wrapped, regardless of the tire I run, but I currently have trencher 3.8's on all 3 of them.

I use a 3mm kevlar cord that has a core to it. I used to do multiple wraps of smaller stuff, but that was more annoying and they tended to get cut when running on pavement for long (skate parks). So I tried a single wrap of a larger diameter stuff with a core to it and it holds up a lot better. I put glue about every other lug to adhere it to the tire. The knot I use is a single 4-5 wrap knot, just kind of tying a long knot that lays flat and I glue the entire length of the knot to hold the cord to itself. With larger cord, tying normal double, square or surgeon knots makes them too tall and they stand taller than the tire lugs.

70lb on the left, 500lb on the right:
2019-0925-ProlineTrencher3.8-70lb-vs-500lb.jpg

Wish I had a better photo of the knot so it made more sense... with the thicker cord, when you wrap it around itself 4-5 times, it holds enough tension, then I glue the knot and work my way around the tire to put a dot of CA every 3/4" or so on the side of one of the lugs the cord touches.
2019-0726-TraxxasTmaxxTire-thickCordKnot.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back