Damaged proline trencher; Need advise on repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss81

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
I've found my self in a predicament that I have not encountered before.

I ran over a pot hole with the
:bored:Kraton a few weekends ago and it tore a chunk out of the tire. Because nobody anywhere makes the old style beaded tires anymore I would really like to repair this, otherwise I'm out my favorite set of wheels. This set of Axials have had Mashers, MOABs, Big Joe's and now Trenchers on them. I think I've owned the wheels for 10 years or so.

Any recommendations on a repair that will hold up to 6S and 55mph on a 18 lb truck?

Let me know what you think.

Tire glue is probably the only thing that could sort of fix it but there’s no real way to fix a torn or blown tire other than replacing it.

You can try to put a small piece of bicycle inner tube behind the tear for support and glue tire and ripped portion to it.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. A tube or a patch of some sort.

I used dry wall mesh tape that is commonly used for the body's with shoegoo on the inside with great success but I would get a thin bicycle tube like mentioned above scratch the surface a bit with a tube scuffer and apply shoegoo then the tube over it on the inside of the tire of course. Hope this helps

I've patched a few sidewalls from the outside. One of which was on my 3.8" trenchers. I run 4S, but I run these tires on all 3 of my big brushless trucks.

I use a piece of bicycle innertube that's larger than the hole. I clean the area on the tire with DA, then I rough it up with a dremel/sanding drum on low speed. Then I do the same to the piece of inner tube. I put a very light coating of medium CA on the tire, then on the tube and press them together in a clamp for 30 minutes or so. Then I go back and sand back the edges of the patch (as mine are always external).

I've done this a few times and the patches are holding as well as the day I did them.

From my outcast after snagging on a chain link fence:
2018-0802-Outcast-TrencherTireTear.jpg

2018-0802-Outcast-TrencherTireTearRepair.jpg

Since yours is on the face of the tread, I'd definitely do the repair from the inside of the tire.

Tried repairing 2 of mine with just glue.. It didn't hold.. Warranty the tire if its still available otherwise just buy 2 new tires..

Repair = Temp band aid that don't hold long.

Tried repairing 2 of mine with just glue.. It didn't hold.. Warranty the tire if its still available otherwise just buy 2 new tires..

Repair = Temp band aid that don't hold long.

Proline doesn't make these tires anymore which is why I'm trying to fix it. If I cant fix this 1 tire then I have to throw the entire beadlock set away. Everyone has converted to the "Traxxas style bead" which does not work with the Axial beadlocks.

Ahh yeah the bead forgot about that.. Well they will likely ship you a new tire AND wheel, as thats what they did with mine, so if u don't mind slightly mismatched rims..

Good luck tho a repair will only hold so long..

Ahh yeah the bead forgot about that.. Well they will likely ship you a new tire AND wheel, as thats what they did with mine, so if u don't mind slightly mismatched rims..

Good luck tho a repair will only hold so long..

These tires are 5 yrs old. And because they are stretched out over the Axials they are wider and shorter than the regular mounted Trenchers.

well 5 years old is a tad outdated lol Stop holding onto the past and buy new tires already :p

Im just busting balls you do you good luck I hope the repair job holds !!! :D

What will happen with Trencher X on the back and stock backflips on the front of my Notorious on 6s? Just wondering.

What will happen with Trencher X on the back and stock backflips on the front of my Notorious on 6s? Just wondering.
You should never mix and match tires a 4wd vehicle. The difference in tire size/weight/width will cause added strain on the driveline parts as on flat surface with grip the diff is going to have to be working at all times to compensate for the effective final drive ratio between the front and back axles.

Thank you. I thought so but wanted confirmation. I will buy 2 more TrencherX and then get badlands in the future. My backflips are still OK after I reglued them. I run about 90% on 6s to not blow them up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back