Granite Damaged slipper clutch? or something else? Update 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickard

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Update 1 - Am I looking for a problem that aren't there?
So, I took things apart, very good training and get to know the car better.
I can feel the "problem"/noise is coming from these parts
AR310873 - HD INPUT GEAR 13T
AR310872 - DIFF CASE SET 37T MAIN GEAR

I don't see that there are any damaged parts, everything is tight and that starts me wondering if I'm looking for a problem that aren't there? But I feel the noise is abnormal when running the car.
I can see that there are grease that has left the gears and is in the housing rather than on the gears, it seems that the sound is coming from the gears and that might be normal? or could it be that my son drove it to hard the first time throwing all of the grease off of the gears?
I have tested the front differential, just rotating it with the driveshaft and the feeling is that the front has less resistance and noise.
The slipper clutch and pinion gear looks great, I mean the car has only been driven for approx 40 mins. I will probably change the slipper hub and driveshaft that is damaged.

Videos and pics here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x59urmynp8zab49/AACxQbxd2ueKiOCMWs6hfSL7a?dl=0

These are the new videos and pics.
Skjermbilde.PNG

/Rickard

-----------------------

Hi, I'm a noob with rc cars, bought myself a Granite 4x4 3s. First test ended with failure, a small stone came into the chassis and jammed the driveshaft. It locked the frontweels and i was finished driving for the day. It jammed between the cooling flanges and driveshaft next to the slipper clutch.

I have a feeling that something else is broken because there is quite a lot of noise from slipper clutch or somewhere in the back.
Check the videos and pics in this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x59urmynp8zab49/AACxQbxd2ueKiOCMWs6hfSL7a?dl=0

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
In your video it sounds like pinion/spur issue. I hear binding when you let up on the TH, as it spools down in rpm's and stops.
Did you take the power module assy. apart yet? The slipper in theory just doesn't come out of adjustment or get noisy from Throttling on the bench. Check the obvious parts first. Does the slipper operate properly. Test it by locking front and rear wheels separately. Maybe you need slipper pads?? Open the power module . Others may chime in with better more practical experience. :cool:

In your video it sounds like pinion/spur issue. I hear binding when you let up on the TH, as it spools down in rpm's and stops.
Did you take the power module assy. apart yet? The slipper in theory just doesn't come out of adjustment or get noisy from Throttling on the bench. Check the obvious parts first. Does the slipper operate properly. Test it by locking front and rear wheels separately. Maybe you need slipper pads?? Open the power module . Others may chime in with better more practical experience. :cool:

Thanks for reply! a lot of good info here :) Today I will remove some parts and check them inside, I think a lot of questions can be answered by doing so. I will also get a lot of good practical skills and learn more about the car. Just hope I can get it back together again :D
It's possible the missing sleeve is contributing to the noise.

I don't think that is the case here, the sound is just to mechanincal, I will take a deep dive into the car.
Sounds like broken teeth on your spur and/or pinion. Pull my motor out and inspect.
Thanks! I will do so :)

Is there supposed to be grease there? I mean. . . I guess that makes sense. I just imagine dust and crap would get stuck to the parts then though.

It's not leaking oil or something? I have no idea myself. I am just asking because I plan on replacing my differentials very soon.

It's possible the missing sleeve is contributing to the noise.
This, I replaced a blown bearing on the slipper shaft and just the few thousandths that got removed from bearing friction caused a noise extremely similar to this. I took it apart thinking I’d see carnage and nope, just a tiny little wiggle on the shaft. Ran it hard on 3s to beat the “problem” out of it and it was fine. See if you can wiggle the slipper shaft more than you think is normal with the power unit installed.

Everything looks pretty normal. Have you tried seeing what it sounds like on the bench with the center driveshaft removed?

Last edited:
Everything looks pretty normal. Have you tired seeing what it sounds like on the bench with the center driveshaft removed?
This is how I first diagnosed my issue, great suggestion!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back