dampening speed run servo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
As I build my Limitless I'm wondering if the steering servo speed is too fast?

If I'm going in a straight line I shouldn't need to, nor want to, make big corrections quickly.

Do you dampen the servo?
If so how do you dampen it?

You will need any decent upgrade Radio worth its grain of salt.
Servo Exponential, Servo speed, and Endpoint adjustments are what you need. An RTR radio won't cut it. Some have Steering Dual rate. But that is all. And does not control speed. That is just an On the Fly endpoint adjustment used while running.
If you are running your servo higher than 6.0 volts BEC, i.e. 7.2volts, drop it down to 6.0volts to slow it down some. Your only option if using a basic RTR
radio.
What radio do you have???:cool:

You will need any decent upgrade Radio worth its grain of salt.
Servo Exponential, Servo speed, and Endpoint adjustments are what you need. An RTR radio won't cut it. Some have Steering Dual rate. But that is all. And does not control speed. That is just an On the Fly endpoint adjustment used while running.
If you are running your servo higher than 6.0 volts BEC, i.e. 7.2volts, drop it down to 6.0volts to slow it down some. Your only option if using a basic RTR
radio.
What radio do you have???:cool:
RadioLink RC4GS V2. I will check out the STEXP function. I'm never sure if I want to to ramp fast then flatten or start flat and ramp fast later? I will play with it and see what I get. TX!

1646509958032.png

Servo speed or rate will give you the damping feel you want, but I think you might like expo (with a good, wide flat to start). You can milk a little more sensitivity in the middle using expo if you also limit travel to just what you need for what you're doing with the car.

For limiting the steering servo range of motion, I find that this is most easily accomplished via dual rate (often you'll find it abbreviated as D/R). That's how most people do. Season to taste with a little bit of negative exponential to reduce initial steering response. I'd be careful with anything that actually slows down how the servo responds because then you might at some point find yourself out of position with a sluggish servo unable to recover so, tread with caution. And FWIW, I wouldn't bother with expo rates and just leave it linear for starters. But that's just my $0.02.

Thanks all. It looks like I need to play with it a bit and see what works for me.

To start, I set the STEXP to 50% and it seems to be reasonable. I didn't think about the D/R but will check it, I don't have much experience with it. My plan is to I'm starting with some slower runs to get the feel of the car and hopefully not kill anything.

RadioLink RC4GS V2. I will check out the STEXP function. I'm never sure if I want to to ramp fast then flatten or start flat and ramp fast later? I will play with it and see what I get. TX!

View attachment 204514
yeah it is just trial and error. The feel you end up with, what works for your driving style.
RC4GS is a great radio. Feature rich for the value. Great range. I speed run with my 6GS no issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back