Day 1 wife broke it, now for starting upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaylex

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Ok so first day back in RCs after 20 yrs and went all out and got K8. Run 2 and wife drives it into metal post, boys 5 & 7 have been v careful, she not so much. A-arm, shock shaft, driveshaft, gearbox, suspension holder and chassis now need repairing. Frankly v surprised it wasn’t most of the car at that speed.
Anyway have got all the spares to start the repair and was going to take advantage to do some early tweaks but could do with a little guidance
  • planning on changing centre diff to 20m as ballooning was v evident, but can I stay with stock oil in front and rear or do I need to change them as well? If so what is now general consensus?
  • is there a recommended video on greasing diffs, not v experienced and wondering how much to put in gearbox
  • haven’t seen anything much on whether people feel it’s hugely beneficial to upgrade the bearings, all or some. Any opinions whilst everything is ripped apart?
  • upgrading to Primal RC servo anything I need to watch out for?
6772AC1C-8371-4A1C-8F48-2B9390BE3174.jpeg

FD1A3FAB-83F6-4EA5-8F32-640356720275.jpeg

Hard hit bro’, that chassis may be unrecoverable......you order a new one?
Cant help you with much else because I’m a newb too. I did take my front and rear diff out because they were leaking out of the box. Tightened the screws but didn’t take the diffs apart. Repacked with Lucas Red and Tacky, the volume of which I can’t be sure of but I put a Schit ton in there.

I broke my front suspension mount as well after a nasty tumble.....hinge pin smashed through it. M2C makes aluminum replacements. I may try those but I have the Arrma part coming next week.

Good luck in your journey and have fun.

cheers
kevin
Ps.
ordered a set of Jim’s bearing replacement set for the rig but will wait a while to put those in.

Hard hit bro’, that chassis may be unrecoverable......you order a new one?
Cant help you with much else because I’m a newb too. I did take my front and rear diff out because they were leaking out of the box. Tightened the screws but didn’t take the diffs apart. Repacked with Lucas Red and Tacky, the volume of which I can’t be sure of but I put a Schit ton in there.

I broke my front suspension mount as well after a nasty tumble.....hinge pin smashed through it. M2C makes aluminum replacements. I may try those but I have the Arrma part coming next week.

Good luck in your journey and have fun.

cheers
kevin
Ps.
ordered a set of Jim’s bearing replacement set for the rig but will wait a while to put those in.

yep ordered a new one from Jenny’s, will run it for a bit and then upgrade it later to a Jbirc or m2c when I have recovered the initial outlay.
I have the red n tacky but my memory is that it didn’t get packed in but just coated the diff but I want to check.

Sounds like you’re in a pretty similar position to me on the bearings, didn’t notice m2c made a replacement for the mount, already got their shock shafts coming

Been there done that ? Hit a fence post trying to do some puddle skipping...
3FE0912D-2FF8-48FD-8690-23E81FCC1CF7.jpeg

The diffs come filled with oil not grease, red and tacky is fine but only on the ring gear.
I like to fill the diff cups with enough oil to cover the cross pins but not so much it spits out the side when putting it together.

M2C is coming out with the pin blocks soon, I don’t think they have been released yet...

Bearing will last a while, I ran mine for a couple months before changing. The main reason I changed them was I did some snow bashing, water skipping and wanted stainless! None were in bad shape yet tho, just a little dirty.

The primal rc servo requires the larger reciver box/servo mount. Part# ARA320553

Last edited:
I saw rcdude81 running the new suspension mounts.....maybe he’s privy to new releases....
I want to make sure I iterated correctly about the grease.....yes it goes on the outside of the diff, not inside, just to clarify. Furthermore Jlex, if you want to run a 5th scale servo, the part number is as @Hammer Down posted above. The tray comes with an optional tray (2 trays). It’s listed in the technical pack in the manual.

I saw rcdude81 running the new suspension mounts.....maybe he’s privy to new releases....
Yep him and Duperbash are official M2C testers. They usually give sneak peeks at up and coming M2C products. ?

Thanks all, yes have the larger servo housing already. And yes was asking about the greasing on the outside of the diff as not so sure on how much there.
Anyone got a response on the other Qs?

i'd have divorced my wife on the spot if she did that to my new toy :LOL:
Secretly slightly pleased it was her, she was gutted so no blame on spending to repair and I get to take it apart and rebuild, missed building it from scratch!

Wow looks like I got off lightly when my wife crashed ours. Thought I was smug putting the transmitter in trainer mode, but she still managed to poke a hole in the fence....car was fine tho :ROFLMAO:

damn found one more problem, any bright ideas as to how to flatten this out?
A5EAAC53-66CD-4CED-813C-51FDFDD33A83.jpeg

55877390-9C3E-4992-89A0-520F44B6B3F9.jpeg

9C2A7739-4B9C-4B19-ACCE-1854DFDFE002.jpeg

@Jaylex looks like you were able to get the plastic attachment out.......I would just screw it back in and not worry about it.

@KevinC thats the problem. I got the broken one out but can’t get the new in. Really annoying me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back