Dead 2S Lipo??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normnailz

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
New Granite 3s BLX owner and purchased a couple of Zeee 2S 5200 Lipos. When i was running it yesterday, i started losing all power randomly. I would shut the ESC off and turn back on and then it would be good to go. Then after running it through a puddle a couple of times it died again, but this time a simple power cycle didn't work. I checked the battery connector and the plastic on the deans adapter was melted to the battery terminal. I ended up removing with a pliers. Today I tried connecting the battery to my balance charger and it was a dead connection. After some cleaning i ended up getting a good connection and charge, but when I connect to the Granite there is still no power. I used my other battery and everything is good. I also used my multimeter and I am getting a good 7.4v reading on the battery. Is there something on the Granite that would prevent a good connection, that a charger wouldn't detect? Trying to determine if I need to solder a new deans connector on or if I should not even risk it. I just don't know enough about what happens if a battery cable gets wet and if I should even attempt to use the battery again. Working on adding photos.
The red from the Dean's adapter and the red piece from the battery basically melted together. I busted the EC3 adapter trying to pull them apart. I tore the shrink tubing off the battery red cable, but it was already compromised. Any help it insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200402_114653.jpg
    20200402_114653.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200402_114634.jpg
    20200402_114634.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200402_114629.jpg
    20200402_114629.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200402_114544.jpg
    20200402_114544.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Lipo batteries are sealed. You could run them under water if the water was clean and freshwater (vs saltwater).

Why are you using adapters? IMHO, using an adapter is fine on a charger, as your typically under 20A, but when in a vehicle, it's not a great idea as it pulls way more amps.

Could have been the ec3 adapter, while connected had a fractured solder joint.

Thanks for the reply @olds97_lss, i am now using a new EC3/Deans adapter and everything works with other batteries. It seems the truck just isn't making a good connection with the problem battery although it is showing it has power via my charger and multimeter. Would you suggest soldering a EC3 adapter in place of the deans on both of these batteries?

Thanks for the reply @olds97_lss, i am now using a new EC3/Deans adapter and everything works with other batteries. It seems the truck just isn't making a good connection with the problem battery although it is showing it has power via my charger and multimeter. Would you suggest soldering a EC3 adapter in place of the deans on both of these batteries?
Yep.

I know when I was trying out 6S, I was running TRX connectors at the time, but my buddy had XT90's, so I used a couple adapters to try his packs in my outcast. When I went all in on 6S, I eventually ended up replacing every connector I had to XT90's. The TRX connectors sucked to solder and popped apart easily. I still use adapters on my chargers though, some are 2-3 adapters deep (deans->trx->xt90, ec5->trx->xt90, trx->xt90), but they still work fine. At most, I charge at 15A. I really should sit down and replace all them with XT90's, but I already spent money on the adapters and since they seem to not have issues...

But on my trucks and packs, I don't use adapters at all. I've seen spikes of 180A on my MMX logs, so the current running through these things under load is rediculous. Anything you can do to make a better connection will reward you with less aggravation and problems down the line.

New Granite 3s BLX owner and purchased a couple of Zeee 2S 5200 Lipos. When i was running it yesterday, i started losing all power randomly. I would shut the ESC off and turn back on and then it would be good to go. Then after running it through a puddle a couple of times it died again, but this time a simple power cycle didn't work. I checked the battery connector and the plastic on the deans adapter was melted to the battery terminal. I ended up removing with a pliers. Today I tried connecting the battery to my balance charger and it was a dead connection. After some cleaning i ended up getting a good connection and charge, but when I connect to the Granite there is still no power. I used my other battery and everything is good. I also used my multimeter and I am getting a good 7.4v reading on the battery. Is there something on the Granite that would prevent a good connection, that a charger wouldn't detect? Trying to determine if I need to solder a new deans connector on or if I should not even risk it. I just don't know enough about what happens if a battery cable gets wet and if I should even attempt to use the battery again. Working on adding photos.
The red from the Dean's adapter and the red piece from the battery basically melted together. I busted the EC3 adapter trying to pull them apart. I tore the shrink tubing off the battery red cable, but it was already compromised. Any help it insight would be appreciated.
Deans plugs and adapters are a bad idea. You found out why.

Deans connectors on cheap batteries are really bad. I would recommend switching to at least xt60s which is what I run and have no issues but they are all new. Otherwise xt90s would be better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back