Dead cell?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roondog

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
I have been charging this for about 20 minutes and cell one has been at 3.48 the whole time. Should I stop and consider this battery toast?
I don't see any issues visually with battery.

Attachments

• 549920D3-06DE-40CF-B78B-059D17B33066.jpeg
    549920D3-06DE-40CF-B78B-059D17B33066.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 65
It's still just barely within what my research is acceptable for the cells to be different from each other. Are you balance charging?

Nope your fine your still early in the charging process not enough of a difference to be worried about that early while charging. If the other cells get to 4.2 and that cell never wants to get close to 4.2 then I would be worried. The balancing of the cells comes near the end of the charging cycle that is usually the part that takes the longest. If it gets to the point where it seems to take forever to balance then I might be concerned.

I had a new Lectron 5200 3s pack that acted like that. It was a new pack and from a dealer I trust. I was concerned and contacted him but he said wait it out and give it a couple cycles.
Eventually it leveled out and after a year of consistent use / abuse, I still use it today and it charges fine.
Almost acted like it just needed to "break in" but who knows? Like I say, it still works fine for me now.

Something to watch out for is if you let the pack rest overnight once it balances to storage charge, then one of the cells is considerably less, then you have a problem. I've had that happen on a couple packs so far. One SMC and one of 2 hobbystar 3S packs. The SMC was 16 months old with a lot of cycles on it. The hobbystar had 4 cycles on it. I storage charged both the HS packs at the end of my previous bash session, then when I went to charge them the following weekend, my charger started beeping at me. I plugged in one of those voltage checkers and one of the 3 cells was near 1V while the other 2 cells were at 3.83V. I consider that junk and not to be messed with. I'm only keeping it in case one of the cells in the remaining pack I have dies, then I can take it apart and use one of the two remaining cells to fix it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back