Dead Li-Ion Battery - Left My Radio On

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Apparently, I left my radio on and killed my Li-Ion battery.

The battery is a Tenergy 7.4V Li-Ion 2200 mAh battery (link)

On that page is says: "Built-in IC chip will prevent battery pack from over charge and over discharge and prolongs battery life"

Right now it reads 0V. If I assume the IC protection is real and it kicked in because of over discharge, how can (or can I) recover this?

Set your charger for NiMH and 0.5A. Don't connect the balance lead and start charging. Once you reach around 3V (per cell), set it back to LiPo mode and connect the balance lead. Should work. If it still won't balance charge go back to step #1 and charge it a little more. Ask me how I know... :)

Set your charger for NiMH and 0.5A. Don't connect the balance lead and start charging. Once you reach around 3V (per cell), set it back to LiPo mode and connect the balance lead. Should work. If it still won't balance charge go back to step #1 and charge it a little more. Ask me how I know... :)
You’re an animal!! 😂 I’m 0.2 only!

The battery is Li-Ion not LiPo.

I can use Li-Ion setting, does this still work?

Start out on NiMH. Then when the cells have reached 3V, switch to Li-ion and connect the balance lead. Same principle :)

I'm not even sure how Li-ion and Lipo modes differ...or if they even do. They both revolve around a 4.2V max charge and provide balance charging. Maybe they differ in max amps or something like that.

You're going to set it to NiMH just to 'jump start' or prime it to accept charge again... That's what your doing.
But you need to monitor it closely ,so you don't overcharge and damage your battery..

Last edited:
You're going to set it NiMH to 'jump start' or prime it to accept charge again... What's your doing.
But you need to monitor it so you don't overcharge and damage your battery..
Don’t leave it alone while doing this.

Start out on NiMH. Then when the cells have reached 3V, switch to Li-ion and connect the balance lead. Same principle :)

I'm not even sure how Li-ion and Lipo modes differ...or if they even do. They both revolve around a 4.2V max charge and provide balance charging. Maybe they differ in max amps or something like that.
Because Li-on is less voltage than Lipo. 3.6v nominal vs 3.8v.

If the protective IC kicked in, the battery is likely at a safe resting voltage (you just cant see it unless you take the pack apart and measure the cells directly).

The BMS circuitry will disconnect the battery cells when the voltage goes below its setpoint thus showing you 0volts at the output. In this case just put it on the charger and the IC will automatically put the cells back into the circuit. You can verify this by checking the voltage of the pack after it has been on charge for a few minutes.

If the pack has been dead for some time and is actually at 0v, recycle it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back