Deanodizing aluminum parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joostin420

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Senton 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
Caustic soda (lye) method to deanodize aluminum parts works awesome! It is fast and only takes a couple of minutes.

5E580307-EB28-43FD-B58E-653872897D87.jpeg

C3EF95BE-576F-49AE-8EE6-C290BAF683B8.jpeg

E99ED097-5F19-41FD-8B8B-85394DA9D321.jpeg

EB58EC5C-951B-4574-B447-DA4F196BA4AE.jpeg

7DA4A014-F39F-46B3-B41E-A641350F6487.jpeg

Have not polished them yet. Forgot to pick up some mothers auto polish paste or something like that while I was at Walmart earlier. I did try some steel wool on a section and it does look good.

This looks awesome, does it damage the surface of the aluminium at all? Did the green just wash off afterwards

Does not appear to do any damage. I made sure to keep an eye on it while the lye was doing it’s thing.

The color started to come off by itself just moving the parts around in the solution within seconds. Placed parts in bucket of clean water and rinsed and dried after. Just need to polish them a bit now.

Thanks, I'm actually thinking about trying one of the home anodising kits you can get an ebay and re-anodising the red parts on the Kraton a different colour, plus anodising some GKA parts at the same time.

Hi, thanks for the posts as I want to do the same with my Talion. I noticed from your post Joostin420 that the bucket has a what looked like part of a wire coat hanger going into the solution. I this to act as some kind of catalyst or was it simply there to hold all your parts together and allow you to fish them out of the solution?

Also, what grade of Caustic soda are you using? I noticed this 99% powder on Amazon, would that do it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Caustic-Dr...8&qid=1523538730&sr=8-3&keywords=caustic+soda

Many thanks

The coat hanger was only used for dropping and removal of the parts. I also used it to hold the 16 little aluminum shock mount retainers that were also green anodized while in the caustic soda solution. These are xmaxx parts.

I believe I purchased the caustic soda (lye) at Home Depot in the plumbing section. It is drain cleaner crystals and on the label says “100% lye”

Oh I see, yes of course, very easy to lose those shock mount retainers I would imagine! Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, I'll push ahead and give it a go before giving everything a decent polish with my mop and drill.

Thanks again for your help.

The coat hanger was only used for dropping and removal of the parts. I also used it to hold the 16 little aluminum shock mount retainers that were also green anodized while in the caustic soda solution. These are xmaxx parts.

I believe I purchased the caustic soda (lye) at Home Depot in the plumbing section. It is drain cleaner crystals and on the label says “100% lye”

Its sodium hydroxide robric brand I do believe

It's a main precursor in the manufacture of illegal drugs

A lot of big box department stores will make you show your I'd if you look on the back it will say the only active ingredient is sodium hydroxide

They look amazing, worthy of the work. I have done the same with a few restored X-Ray T1 touring cars; I'll post some pictures if I can find them. Carbon also polishes really nicely. I assume you're going to protect them? Carnauba wax works really well.

Post pics if you can of the X-rays . Yes, going to try and pick up wax this weekend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back