Deanodizing fun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joostin420

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Senton 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
deanodizing parts for senton project part 1:D
E87A4027-AC80-47EC-808B-26D907D17E1F.jpeg

0B8E004C-C2D0-411A-A0BB-0D1ECCB44373.jpeg

3AF0355A-36E4-4094-BC3F-F6A9DC3DF1E1.jpeg

C15B62C4-9546-4D19-B06A-0B8EC50AE442.jpeg

2D35E6CD-96BB-4AF4-89C4-41D160D28528.jpeg

All aluminum, but I don’t run in damp or wet conditions anyway ;)

Now I need to polish...

I use Roebuc caustic soda (lye). It only take a few minutes once the anodized parts are placed in the solution. I probably use 3/4-1 cup to gallon of water.

I watched this video about a dozen times before actually trying it the first time :p I think it was his accent :borg:

I was told that if you want to keep the super shine for a long time after polishing to use carnauba wax.

No personal experience with this process so your guess is better than mine.

I've just machined enough aluminum to know that the beautiful shine can be short lived.

Very nice work non the less.

That's great. But they don't look like they did when they were freshly done. If your going to argue that, I'm at a loss to what to tell you.

I'm just trying to convey the FACT that untreated aluminum will oxidize and loose its shine over time.

It's nothing you'll notice the day after. But if you compare a Pic from right when it's done to a couple weeks to a month later, you will see a difference.

This information is for everyone who wishes to do this process and keep its full shine.

Your comment about them staying very good could mislead others to believe they will stay that way without any coating.

Oh I get that they will not look super shiny after time. That’s not what I am looking for though in my situation. I will be happy if they look the same as my other aluminum that had no finish after the same amount of time.

The arms on my old Revo after approximately 6 years of no finish. All I ever did was wipe them off with a damp cloth.
9B09AEEA-A9BF-439B-8AFF-081FF1F27C5C.jpeg

Dude, your just not getting it. Your opinion on what looks good now, or even your situation isnt why I'm responding.

Its for the people that see your freshly done pics and will want to do the same.

I guess, shame on me for suggesting they take it one step further to keep the shine they worked for.

I thought showing a picture of something that had been shiny with no finish after 6 years would show the difference.

There should be no shame... you have just not suggested a method to extend a shine...

no hazmat suit :D I was a little more cautious the first few times. I just wore disposable gloves in case of splashing of parts into the solution, but even then it was a gentle process. just make sure you are outside.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back