Deanodizing fun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no hazmat suit :D I was a little more cautious the first few times. I just wore disposable gloves in case of splashing of parts into the solution, but even then it was a gentle process. just make sure you are outside.

Where did you buy the lye? I have an HPI Savage with custom TVP’s that are red white and blue. I want to get rid of all the pink that’s left on the truck.

purchased at local walmart, but I have seen it at all big box stores and plumbing stores.
e2faebaf-a890-4a2d-9b2b-67a5b6a5baf9_1.75f8ecb7d2c15657a8ccb6179018fa2d.jpeg

purchased at local walmart, but I have seen it at all big box stores and plumbing stores.
e2faebaf-a890-4a2d-9b2b-67a5b6a5baf9_1.75f8ecb7d2c15657a8ccb6179018fa2d.jpeg

Ah. Ok. That’s easy enough. Plus I will have some left over to clean my drains!

Wow... Just wow.

You show pictures more than twice the distance and half the lighting of your original ones and expect people to get a good understanding of it staying shiny.

Your tossing out opinions on what you think is still good for you, in your situation, with your own way of running and maintaining. Giving no regards to the fact others may do things differently, therefore having DIFFERENT RESULTS!

Can you understand now why your pics really tell people nothing.

It seems your taking offense to fact I'm saying it can be done better than what you settling for. I didn't mean any offense at first, but your persistence in assuming others to have your same experience is testing my patience.

If someone wishes to do this, I'm sure a quick search for "clear coating aluminum" will provide them with better advice than I could give.

No offense taken. I have not suggested or told anyone to perform any deanodizing to their parts; just showing my results. You are correct that not everyone runs their vehicles the same way in same conditions, but that is obvious from pictures and videos.

It is fairly easy to see the condition of the revo arms that were deanodized by a friend of mine for me 6 years ago which were the same shiny polished and what the condition was when recently sold. There was no repolishing in 6 years of ownership.

Closer pics now 4 months later of the
x-maxx arms. Parts are not as mirror reflection shiny, but pretty close considering they are a little dirty. They are the same condition as the shocks which came from the vendor with no color anodizing.
9F17A79A-9AB0-47BC-B068-096CF3CE6F3C.jpeg
498BBEF5-F7CD-45F7-A0D0-B60464A8EB4D.jpeg
76667986-5273-4BF4-B1B0-98382649003E.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you ever tried the easy off method? Been thinking of doing my Tekno shocks since they are all different colors, then they will match my Voltage Hobbies stuff. But I'm not sure which way is more hazardous lol.

Haven’t tried the oven cleaner method. I did look into it though before I chose using the caustic soda (lye). It seemed like more effort to use oven cleaner. I can remember back in the day as a kid the terrible smell.

The caustic soda on only takes a couple of minutes; it’s very fast.

I got right into it myself. This was finished with a Sander to give it a ruff look. I like. Credit to tppartsextreme for teaching me how to.

Attachments

• IMG_20180816_232903_092.jpg
    IMG_20180816_232903_092.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 55
They make polishing attachments for the Dremel so you don't have to do it my hand.

I have some I think in the basement somewhere. with the dremel running I wound not be able to watch the tele and the wife would probably have a fit with the constant noise :p

I really like the look of these parts. Honestly don't even care if the parts oxidize or lose their shine.
I have a bottle of dry sodium hydroxide that I use for making pretzels (the correct way) and couldn't make enough / or would get tired of pretzels before I go through it all.
Thanks for the info!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back