Dear Castle Creations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ricky,,,,,it aint rocket appliances.......
lolz...
I hear ya bro, it’s weird they expect tape to hold that down.....I’m new to the hobby and this two sided tape thingy has me baffled.
good luck,,,,maybe some tie wraps are the ticket, as well as tape. Gorilla sells some good stuff, it’s called mounting tape.

cheers,
kev
Servo tape, i.e two way tape has been used for decades in this hobby. It is not a new concept. 3M Automotive adhesive Two sided tape makes the best IMHO. I believe RPM may make a Castle ESC mount. Not sure for your specific ESC. There is nothing wrong with using tape and Nylon wire ties together to strap the ESC. Hard bashing will require both. Silicone adhesive is fine also. The ESC will be removable if you need to remove it. Bashing Hard requires good mounting however, and an ESC mount alone that you are referring to is NOT the most secure in any event. Been there. It may appear weird to use servo tape, but you admit you are new. Some things accept and move on. Experience will dictate and questioning is fine. Servo tape is fundamental in RC for the most part.

Last edited:
Servo tape, i.e two way tape has been used for decades in this hobby. It is not a new concept. 3M Automotive adhesive Two sided tape makes the best IMHO. I believe RPM may make a Castle ESC mount. Not sure for your specific ESC. There is nothing wrong with using tape and Nylon wire ties together to strap the ESC. Hard bashing will require both. Silicone adhesive is fine also. The ESC will be removable if you need to remove it. Bashing Hard requires good mounting however, and an ESC mount alone that you are referring to is NOT the most secure in any event. Been there. It may appear weird to use servo tape, but you admit you are new. Somehings accept and move on. Experience will dictate and questioning is fine. Servo tape is fundamental in RC for the most part.

Yeah for sure I used automotive 3m pressure sensitive tape used for door moldings etc is best of the bunch I've tried.
Had it for years trying to get what you put on with this stuff is the issue as you ideally need a bit of heat to soften the adhesive.
IMG_20200712_161241.jpg

Worked in Auto body years past. 3M automotive tape is best. It can handle High and low temps, it's completely waterproof on a car's moldings etc. I use a heat gun to soften the tape up for installation as well as removal. Buy in bulk and it will last for years. No it is not cheap, but cheaper than buying small stripps from RC outlets that sell small pieces for high prices. And its not the good stuff. Two way tape is best stored in a sealed zip lock bag, so it wont dry out over time.

Servo tape
Showing your age :love:

This thread has very valuable info regarding this problem. Sorry that cap is leaking as a result of poor engineering. I’m sure there’s a lot of leaky caps out there just waiting to erupt and make messes out of high end builds. I hope castle sorts this out for you.

The issue isn't that the proper tape won't hold. I'm familiar with 3m VHT tapes and such that I know will work.
The issue is poor engineering in my opinion.
Also the fact that in tight spaces when using such a large ESC the last thing you want to do is try to slide a blade or a scraper underneath the f&^king thing running the risk of damaging it or other parts in the process.

I'm not uglying up my build with cable ties when I've spent so much time and money to to put this build together.

108246554_711412436364494_8313561318610388842_n.jpg

Let me start by saying, that is a beautiful build. Very clean looking. I really like the silver top case and fan look.

As to why we didn't put screw mounts on the Monster X 8s. Honestly, we didn't think to do it. None of our other products other than the XLX have ever had any and we didn't think about it. Looking back at it, I'm not sure what we would have done differently with that product. The bottom of the case isn't thick enough to tap holes into. If we drilled through the bottom and tapped it, the epoxy we use to water proof the ESC would flow out even if we plugged the hole during assembly. We would have to add enough material to be able to tap a blind hole. We were very concerned about the physical dimensions of the product because we wanted to fit in as many applications as possible. To add screw holes in the bottom, we would have had to make the ESC ~10mm taller. If we added them to the ends or sides it would have been 6-10mm longer or wider and it is already at the maximum size for the footprint that we could make it to have it fit in the X-Maxx which was really our main target vehicle for the ESC.

I have been asked about this in previous threads and have told our mechanical engineers about people's desire to screw mount our ESCs. They have added the feature into a future product and we will look into the feasibility of it for all future products regardless of scale.

Like @jondilly1974 I put my Typhon in a ditch at 100+ mph and in my case the car did a few flips and came to a hard stop.
The 3m tape held up and the ESC was right where I put it.

When considering the extra width or height it would add to the ESC to have screw mounts. This could effect some 1/8 models where space is limited. I have no issues with the mounting as is.

Especially now that it has been fully crash tested :ROFLMAO:

Let me start by saying, that is a beautiful build. Very clean looking. I really like the silver top case and fan look.

As to why we didn't put screw mounts on the Monster X 8s. Honestly, we didn't think to do it. None of our other products other than the XLX have ever had any and we didn't think about it. Looking back at it, I'm not sure what we would have done differently with that product. The bottom of the case isn't thick enough to tap holes into. If we drilled through the bottom and tapped it, the epoxy we use to water proof the ESC would flow out even if we plugged the hole during assembly. We would have to add enough material to be able to tap a blind hole. We were very concerned about the physical dimensions of the product because we wanted to fit in as many applications as possible. To add screw holes in the bottom, we would have had to make the ESC ~10mm taller. If we added them to the ends or sides it would have been 6-10mm longer or wider and it is already at the maximum size for the footprint that we could make it to have it fit in the X-Maxx which was really our main target vehicle for the ESC.

I have been asked about this in previous threads and have told our mechanical engineers about people's desire to screw mount our ESCs. They have added the feature into a future product and we will look into the feasibility of it for all future products regardless of scale.
I appreciate the response.
I think it would be great for you guys to at least offer an optional mount for these things.
It doesn't have to be vehicle specific.
A simple bottom plate that the user can drill their own holes into to match their chassis.
A top plate the clamps over the ESC and screws into the bottom plate.

I appreciate the response.
I think it would be great for you guys to at least offer an optional mount for these things.
It doesn't have to be vehicle specific.
A simple bottom plate that the user can drill their own holes into to match their chassis.
A top plate the clamps over the ESC and screws into the bottom plate.
We'll take it into consideration. We are a very small team and might not have the resources to tackle it anytime soon. I would think that for your setup you could make a aluminum or plastic plate larger than the ESC to screw down to the chassis and then VHB tape the ESC down to the plate. That way you wouldn't have to scrape the ESC off the chassis and could remove it with a few screws.

We'll take it into consideration. We are a very small team and might not have the resources to tackle it anytime soon. I would think that for your setup you could make a aluminum or plastic plate larger than the ESC to screw down to the chassis and then VHB tape the ESC down to the plate. That way you wouldn't have to scrape the ESC off the chassis and could remove it with a few screws.

Has your ESC fan issue with the blades randomly breaking off been addressed?

What about the issue raised with the cooling fan screws being too long, has this been addressed?

I have mine on order, do I need to change or trim the screws before use?

Thats exactly what I plan on making from a sheet of aluminium, will post pics then done

What about the issue raised with the cooling fan screws being too long, has this been addressed?

I have mine on order, do I need to change or trim the screws before use?

We have a fix in the works. We've been aware of the issue for a few weeks and have changes planned the move the fan slightly higher off the capacitors for extra clearance. On our first batch of ESCs the capacitors were 2 mm shorter and then when we got a second batch of capacitors that were taller than we expected so they started contacting the screws. We have made adjustments in manufacturing to to keep the screws from being installed into the caps. We are working on long fixes for both this and the fan issues but have had some supplier issues with getting new injection molded parts. For now we are recommending people put a 4 washers between the fan cover and the fan. This will space the cover up from the fan and also keep the screws from being long enough to contact the capacitors.

Yeah I kow right! But I think I've found the issue the screws are too long and as a result has nipped the top side surface marks can be seen better below both sides are the same

View attachment 89227
And on the negative side marks can also be seen below

View attachment 89228

These marks line up perfectly with the screw holes. So one to watch out for or exchange your screws to shorter ones.

Both my esc are the same marks on both the negative side also with marks one the heatsink fins
View attachment 89231
Screws
View attachment 89235
They should cover that for you. I completely ruined an almost $400 mamba X system when I first got into the hobby and it was my fault due to gearing and they sent me a brand new set up.

We have a fix in the works. We've been aware of the issue for a few weeks and have changes planned the move the fan slightly higher off the capacitors for extra clearance. On our first batch of ESCs the capacitors were 2 mm shorter and then when we got a second batch of capacitors that were taller than we expected so they started contacting the screws. We have made adjustments in manufacturing to to keep the screws from being installed into the caps. We are working on long fixes for both this and the fan issues but have had some supplier issues with getting new injection molded parts. For now we are recommending people put a 4 washers between the fan cover and the fan. This will space the cover up from the fan and also keep the screws from being long enough to contact the capacitors.
They should cover that for you. I completely ruined an almost $400 mamba X system when I first got into the hobby and it was my fault due to gearing and they sent me a brand new set up.
On that point, I’ve ordered the mamba x 8s with 1770 motor package, what gearing would you recommend?

I want to get to around 90-100mph then build up as I get used to the car.
On that point, I’ve ordered the mamba x 8s with 1770 motor package, what gearing would you recommend?

I want to get to around 90-100mph then build up as I get used to the car.
Sorry on limitless

The issue isn't that the proper tape won't hold. I'm familiar with 3m VHT tapes and such that I know will work.
The issue is poor engineering in my opinion.
Also the fact that in tight spaces when using such a large ESC the last thing you want to do is try to slide a blade or a scraper underneath the f&^king thing running the risk of damaging it or other parts in the process.

I'm not uglying up my build with cable ties when I've spent so much time and money to to put this build together.

View attachment 89286
Oh my that looks so pretty. Nice work.

I will check when I receive mine (hopefully in the next week or so as postage to the UK from US is slow right now for obvious reasons) hopefully your mfg adjustments will be applied to my unit, in the case the caps are damaged during the mfg process I don’t feel comfortable running the unit in case of further damage.

what is castles recommendation in this circumstance?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back