Debris getting caught in ESC fan, thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalmene

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Well, got tired of grass and debris getting caught up in the ESC fan, so decided to try putting a screen on the intake. Have not ran the truck with this yet, I don't think it should cause much of an airflow issue but we will see.

What I did:
  • Piece of thin lexan, traced the hole and cut out.
  • Hot-glued a piece of screen (screen room material from Lowes) on the underside
  • Cut perimeter to size and reamed holes for the existing screws.
Just an idea, maybe some others would like to try this.

Attachments

• P_20160701_193053_LL.jpg
    P_20160701_193053_LL.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 504
Tested today, seems to work great, not a spec of anything inside the ESC.

Wow, what a great idea guys! I kept having the same problem too until I saw this post.

I couldn't find any lexan at my local hardware stores...so I used a hard plastic thin mouse pad for a computer (not foam) and did the same thing as Chalmene with minor adjustments. See below.
image.jpeg

Alternately, you can cut a piece out of a pair of pantyhose and use it. Just change it out once in while. Been doing it on computer fans for years. makes a great dust filter and my wife has plenty of free filter material I can use after she puts a run in a set.

Just don't use fishnets...

Used old MX goggle lens cut reamed and most time consuming part cutting center circle out for air flow and get frame to sit down. Then wife donated black panty hose to finish it off.

Nice job. How is the airflow with the panty hose? I'm sure it will keep out more dust than the screen, but have you noticed your ESC running any hotter?

Sorry I don't have meter to get temp from ESC,, live in way northeast we have air temp @45°. I've only had three battery packs through the truck first run stopped maple leaf stuck in the esc fan,, second run rocks grass clippings stick in esc fan and was able to get through whole pack with this. I'll try to get better pic with flash looks really solid in that picture but you can see right through it.

That happens to me every time I run my senton. I'm going to try pantyhose. Curios if a large faucet screen might work fearing the pantyhose might melt after a long time bashing.

Used old MX goggle lens cut reamed and most time consuming part cutting center circle out for air flow and get frame to sit down. Then wife donated black panty hose to finish it off.
Did your old esc burn up or did you just want to change it out? Just wondering...

That happens to me every time I run my senton. I'm going to try pantyhose. Curios if a large faucet screen might work fearing the pantyhose might melt after a long time bashing.

Did your old esc burn up or did you just want to change it out? Just wondering...

I'm using screen room mesh, so metal screen should work fine. Heat shouldn't be a concern, the plastic fan housing doesn't transfer much heat.

First attempt was to use fine stainless steel mesh from a kitchen sieve. Simply lay over inlet and poke holes with metal tipped darts. Make holes to size with plastic tipped darts... or whatever is handy. This is bolted with the stock bolts . Can Be vacuumed to clean.

Attachments

• 6AB1421F-C38A-4A4C-81EE-E07A47D87955.JPG
    6AB1421F-C38A-4A4C-81EE-E07A47D87955.JPG
    507.6 KB · Views: 153
I made one a simple one with a piece of outerwear fabric and a rubberband - works great!

Well, got tired of grass and debris getting caught up in the ESC fan, so decided to try putting a screen on the intake. Have not ran the truck with this yet, I don't think it should cause much of an airflow issue but we will see.

What I did:
  • Piece of thin lexan, traced the hole and cut out.
  • Hot-glued a piece of screen (screen room material from Lowes) on the underside
  • Cut perimeter to size and reamed holes for the existing screws.
Just an idea, maybe some others would like to try this.
Going to try myself thanks

I just use a complete shroud from dusty motors on my Kraton, keeps everything clean and even dry for a while when running in the wet.
Started using it because I drive on gravel most of the time and had stones inside the chassis shining my drive-train...

Awesome idea, I also have a dusty motors cover for my Typhon but grass gets in due to the nobs on the chassis plus I had to cut 2 holes for the front body mounts. I am deffo going to try this!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back