Decent 17mm hex tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
Hey y’all. Now that I have a Typhon…What is a decent quality and priced 17mm hex tool?
Thanks!

I needed one with thin walls to fit the 2.8 belted duratrax wheels. Great,small,light,wrench ,I'll buy another when needed👍

Screenshot_20211001-183355_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I generally use the stock Arrma 4 way. It’s capable of plenty of leverage. Anything much more and you risk damaging plastic wheels. I have also thought of using a spare Milwaukee M12 impact driver with a 17mm thin wall socket lately just to speed up removal. But I would caution everyone to at least start the nuts by hand if using a power driver as cross threading them is very easy to do.

Did you ever find something?

Yup, I just got a basic tool off Amazon for 12 bucks. It worked good so I got another one for my mobil tool box. It came with extra wheel nuts as well, which was nice.

EA5E6463-B335-4058-9E7C-268CCDD4EF8B.png

I like the 4-way wrench. One wrench for both my 1/8 17mm and my 7mm 1/10 wheel nuts. Sometimes, though I will grab my 17mm socket and M12 driver. But even with the electric driver, I will do the final torque by hand.

I like the 4-way wrench. One wrench for both my 1/8 17mm and my 7mm 1/10 wheel nuts. Sometimes, though I will grab my 17mm socket and M12 driver. But even with the electric driver, I will do the final torque by hand.

I haven’t seen one of those…

4-way doesn't fit Pro-lines. I turned one down to fit with my lathe, but the metal is cheap, porous, and it didn't hold up. I switched to a thin socket, but it was too heavy and would not carry well. Then I switched to the Pro-line aluminum hubs and lost any clearance I ever had- those hubs are a tight fit. I bought the same wrench that @Velodromed found, and it works great. Very slim design.

4-way doesn't fit Pro-lines. I turned one down to fit with my lathe, but the metal is cheap, porous, and it didn't hold up. I switched to a thin socket, but it was too heavy and would not carry well. Then I switched to the Pro-line aluminum hubs and lost any clearance I ever had- those hubs are a tight fit. I bought the same wrench that @Velodromed found, and it works great. Very slim design.
The issue I have with the wheel nut wrench that Velodromed uses was that it isn't quite long enough to loosen or tighten the wheel nuts on the Pro-Line Raid wheels on my Typhon 3s without hitting the sidewall of the 2.8 Pro-Line Trencher HP belted tires mounted on those wheels. You can see how deep the wheel nuts are in the pic below. When tightening or removing wheel nuts on those wheels I currently use a 17mm 3/8 drive deep socket. The wheel wrench K-BASH recommends looks longer, so I might try that one.

Tpyhon 3s Truggy.jpg

Sweet…I made a good decision twice over. That does not happen often 🤣

Arrma 6s rigs were including the 4 way wrench. Best for the stocker and most standard non-adapter Type PL wheels.
@Velodromed, did your Typhon come with a 4 way 17mm wrench?
I use the Tekno Variant. It has 2 uses. The other use is for removing the Grub screw out of the Hex adapter without needing the wheel mounted onto it.
Just wish it had a longer 17mm shank for deeper offset wheels. I use a 17mm socket much of the time anyway. But an alloy specific wrench will not beat up the wheel nut as easily. Just me.

BTW, The Arrma 4-way wrench, is actually a Nitro rig 4 way wrench. If you look closely at it, it has 4 locations to store 4 Nitro Glow plugs. And the long 8mm end's purpose is for the Glow plug removal. Has anyone else noticed this???
How Arrma ended up with a Nitro 4 way wrench is beyond me. Been including this wrench for years past. :LOL:They have always been an Electric brand.:unsure:
I am sure it is just an outsourced universal cheapo tool anyway. Have so many of these lying around..

Last edited:
Arrma 6s rigs were including the 4 way wrench. Best for the stocker and most standard non-adapter Type PL wheels.
I use the Tekno Variant. It has 2 uses. The other use is for removing the Grub screw out of the Hex adapter without needing the wheel mounted onto it.
Just wish it had a longer 17mm shank for deeper offset wheels. I use a 17mm socket much of the time anyway. But an alloy specific wrench will not beat up the wheel nut as easily. Just me.

BTW, The Arrma 4-way wrench, is actually a Nitro rig 4 way wrench. If you look closely at it, it has 4 locations to store 4 Nitro Glow plugs. And the long 8mm end's purpose is for the Glow plug removal. Has anyone else noticed this???
How Arrma ended up with a Nitro 4 way wrench is beyond me. Been including this wrench for years past. :LOL:They have always been an Electric brand.:unsure:
I am sure it is just an outsourced universal cheapo tool anyway. Have so many of these lying around..

Oh…that awful metal thing that was all loose and goofy? I drawered that thing quick after stripping my knuckles with it lol.
I’m good with the couple decent tools I got. Once I have a 6s rig I’ll worry about things like that more. Right now it’s just my 3s typhon. Thanks!!

Make that 3.. it also has the perfect slot for shock caps.
Yes, I forgot about that.(y)
Probably because I always use the Tekno Shock tool for the Shock caps

Late reply, but Arrma made a nitro Talion… it was never released though, it does exist, there is an actual nitro Talion out there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back