Mojave Dedicated jumper build: what chassis length/arms… and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeHurricane

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Notorious
  7. Outcast 8s
  8. Senton 3s
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Greetings,
Looking to build a dedicated 6S jumper this winter and thought I’d ask the collective what they like and why. (Hopefully I didn’t miss a thread about this already)

Quick background: I have most of the 6S Arrma line and enjoy them all for different reasons. (Kraton EXB/M2C, Kraton XL, Notorious V5, Typhon 6S V5, Talion EXB, Mojave EXB) Having these all makes me have a good start for any build and they all will get jumped on the regular anyways. Expect to use M2C and Basherqueen parts for strength, 3D-RC parts for flexibility.

Almost bought a SWB tank build but felt like I wanted a longer base to put power down more effectively on the run up. (Plus the OP thought Washington was out of country)

My initial thoughts are a longer wheelbase, Kraton or Mojave with Mojave arms/shocks/shock towers. Thinking that the shorter arms might be less prone to breaking because less leverage and that the narrower width might make hitting the ramp easier. (But I’d lose some suspension travel.)

- Would the Talion chassis be better because the center diff is more centered than the Kraton? (but a longer front driveshaft that might be more prone to bending)
- Longer arms for more suspension travel?
- What chassis length do you like… SWB, Kraton wheelbase or Mojave wheelbase?
- 6S tires, Backflip LP‘s or Mojave Fortress tires?
- max6/1650 combo or a ~2050kv to be lighter?
- anything else important that I left out?

Thanks for your time and sharing your insights!
Hurricane

I've seen many a super long and high bash go off without a hitch with typhons by RCDude81. Kevil Talbot made that long jump world record car kinda like you are talking, with a longer chassis and typhon arms i believe. The 4985 is pretty heavy. Another good option is a hobbystar 1730kv motor.

I've seen many a super long and high bash go off without a hitch with typhons by RCDude81. Kevil Talbot made that long jump world record car kinda like you are talking, with a longer chassis and typhon arms i believe. The 4985 is pretty heavy. Another good option is a hobbystar 1730kv motor.
Thanks for the feedback.
My Typhon does jump well but I’ve bent chassis’s. Jennys has them for $12 so I keep one on hand. Just ordered a couple with the M2C Labor Day sale so maybe that’ll help. I also recently got a hobbystar 4082 1730kv motor that I haven’t installed yet, so that’s good to hear that they are lighter. (If the 4082 is the one that you are referring to)
Hurricane

Thanks for the feedback.
My Typhon does jump well but I’ve bent chassis’s. Jennys has them for $12 so I keep one on hand. Just ordered a couple with the M2C Labor Day sale so maybe that’ll help. I also recently got a hobbystar 4082 1730kv motor that I haven’t installed yet, so that’s good to hear that they are lighter. (If the 4082 is the one that you are referring to)
Hurricane
Prob even better than the 4092 i was thinking about hahahaha. I have a pic of the max6/4092 weight vs a stock blx setup, let me find the pics.
Here they are

Attachments

• 36281194-D7A4-4D70-9122-231B686E3FB8.jpeg
    36281194-D7A4-4D70-9122-231B686E3FB8.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 7A218353-EE26-4811-B63C-CC3A1A00A4F0.jpeg
    7A218353-EE26-4811-B63C-CC3A1A00A4F0.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 42
Prob even better than the 4092 i was thinking about hahahaha. I have a pic of the max6/4092 weight vs a stock blx setup, let me find the pics.
Here they are
Too coincidental… I have a 4092 1650kv that’s earmarked for my Mojave. I keep changing my mind where to put the 4082.
Hurricane

Too coincidental… I have a 4092 1650kv that’s earmarked for my Mojave. I keep changing my mind where to put the 4082.
Hurricane
my beefcake Mojave has a 4985 in it, and my lighter one runs the 4092 1730kv, and both will be geared 24/46 hahahaha. I have to drop the power/servo/rx/tx in the lighter one still. I traded an LMT for it and haven't messed with it yet. Got all the parts in minus the fresh body, it'll be here thursday.
How far north of seattle are you?

Sounds like you have a couple great builds going there. I will try your gearing when I put the 4092 in... You’re giving me even more good information, thanks!
Hurricane

Sounds like you have a couple great builds going there. I will try your gearing when I put the 4092 in... You’re giving me even more good information, thanks!
Hurricane
If i don't have 3 going at once i tend to get a little antsy for another it seems hahahahaha. I have to put the parts in the mojave, working on another lightning mcqueen body for my shortened typhon, and i have another UDR inbound tomorrow hopefully. :ROFLMAO:

Thought I would dig this thread up again and see if anyone else had suggestions. I have a Mojave EXB and Kraton EXB sitting in boxes to be used for this project.

Currently I am leaning towards using the Mojave, for the long wheelbase to put down speed before the jump, and the shorter arms to make them stronger and the truck narrower to make it easier to hit smaller width jumps. I'll change out the front and rear bumpers for something more Kraton like and the rear shock tower to a Kraton type so I can fit a wing. Probably a C10 body sized for the E-Revo to minimize in air drag and Backflip LP tires. Once the proof of concept works, I will M2C-ify it. (if not before)

Hurricane

For a jumper that's not a stunt truck, I think a widened Typhon or Kraton/Talion is your best bet. An extra long wheelbase with narrow width is a bad idea. It will twist in the air really easily. I'm not talking about flipping, I'm talking about twisting. As in turning to the left or right in the air, or having the left or right sides pitch up or down during flight. Twisting jumps are a very bad thing and end in damaging landings. Wide arms keep RC's straighter and more level in the air. It's why a Typhon or Mojave are more prone to twisting in flight compared to wide arm models like the Kraton, Talion, or Outcast.

You can't go wrong with a Kraton or Talion 6s platform. They are the most stable Arrma's in the air. However, for pure distance, the lighter, lower, narrower Typhon will fly further. But if you watch videos of people sending stock Typhons, they can get twisty in the air. That's why I suggested a widened Typhon. You could truggify it with Kraton/Outcast hubs, axles, hexes. Or for even wider, use Mojave arms. It will still be lighter, lower, narrower and should fly further than a Kraton/Talion.

Last edited:
One caveat, if you're jumping in rougher off-road conditions, then a longer Mojave chassis will help keep the car more planted during the approach. I would definitely stick with wider (Kraton) arms though. Off-road takeoffs are uneven, slippery and less predictable and result in more off-center launches that can send a narrow wheelspan into a twist. Wider wheelspans stay straighter in the air after crooked takeoffs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back