Felony Delta Plastik 917 body on Felony

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notoriousone

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
New Porsche 917 body for the Felony. I was going to use this as a speedrun body, but I thought it would look reminiscent of a real 917 on the Felony because of the tall and wide Felony rear tires. This is such a big body, I had to cut and trim a lot of it to get it to look the way I like, particularly off the front and sides as its so tall. The rear Felony tires are so wide that they were touching the body, but after setting it up with the body posts and droop screws I have it sitting right. I hadn't seen one of these 917 bodies on a Felony before, thought it would be cool to do it

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

I could cut it down some more, this is the biggest and tallest speedrun body I’ve had. But it’s also one of the most flexible, it would need a ton of reinforcement around the top and back to stiffen it up.. I’ll probably just keep this one on the Felony for street bashing around, and for speedruns use an FC100, my favorite of the DP bodies.. Ive seen videos where used a completely unpainted, not reinforced stock FC100 body on 170mph runs with no issues

I could cut it down some more, this is the biggest and tallest speedrun body I’ve had. But it’s also one of the most flexible, it would need a ton of reinforcement around the top and back to stiffen it up.. I’ll probably just keep this one on the Felony for street bashing around, and for speedruns use an FC100, my favorite of the DP bodies.. Ive seen videos where used a completely unpainted, not reinforced stock FC100 body on 170mph runs with no issues
Yeah, the back end of the 917K is a bit floppy and needs a little reinforcement. Looks great bro (y)

I like retro looking bodies. 917 body was my very first RC body in 1/10 scale size , I painted it for my first RC, a RC10L Pan Car. Like 30 years ago. Still have the Pan car. That body is long gone. If I have any pictures, they are old school Polaroids floating around and faded out in a box somewhere. I did my 917 in Blue and White. I found it so difficult doing my very first paint job back then. The concept of painting RC Lexan bodies "inside out" seemed so odd to me back then.:giggle:
I followed painting instructons from RC Car Action magazine. There was no Internet back then. I subscribed to all the RC mags.
917 was a 1970's era Racing Porsche. The body was very Aero. Good for 250 mph in full scale. Stands to reason it makes a good Speedrunner RC body. Lots of downforce.

Last edited:
I like retro looking bodies. 917 body was my very first RC body in 1/10 scale size , I painted it for my first RC, a RC10L Pan Car. Like 30 years ago. Still have the Pan car. That body is long gone. If I have any pictures, they are old school Polaroids floating around and faded out in a box somewhere. I did my 917 in Blue and White. I found it so difficult doing my very first paint job back then. The concept of painting RC Lexan bodies "inside out" seemed so odd to me back then.:giggle:
I followed painting instructons from RC Car Action magazine. There was no Internet back then. I subscribed to all the RC mags.
917 was a 1970's era Porsche. The body was very Aero. Good for 250 mph in full scale.
lol, I feel ya bro. Inside out painting just doesn't really compute at first. I had done polystyrene plastic modeling and that's just logical, painting from the outside. Trying to reverse that in your head makes your brain just go "beeep, bop, boooop".

The 917, initially, was an aerodynamic disaster and the car would just wander all over the track at high speed. The drivers were absolutely terrified of the thing. It turned out that no air was hitting the tail section of the car. They realized this after an engineer noticed that there were bug splatters all over the front of the car, a few on the middle and just none on the tail of the car. They then jerry rigged some raised aluminum sections to the tail of the car just before the beginning of a race and this settled the car down and made it drivable. And boy...was she fast.

Here's a bit of useless trivia: The frame of the 917 flexed so much under the load of its power plant that the drivers would shift gears and by the time they reached for the shifter to hit the next gear, the shifter was in a different place.

Here's a bit of useless trivia: The frame of the 917 flexed so much under the load of its power plant that the drivers would shift gears and by the time they reached for the shifter to hit the next gear, the shifter was in a different place.
Vic Elford, Brian Redman, David Hobbs, Pedro Rodriguez, Jo Siffert, Richard Atwood, my god…. Those men were, and still are, gods to me. Even Steve McQueen. When those men drove these cars in anger their survival was certainly not guaranteed.
I had also heard the “bug splat” story. What a simple and elegant way to sort your aero! Those were very intense days with only “analog” tech and a whole lot of trial and error. Romance at its finest.

Vic Elford, Brian Redman, David Hobbs, Pedro Rodriguez, Jo Siffert, Richard Atwood, my god…. Those men were, and still are, gods to me. Even Steve McQueen. When those men drove these cars in anger their survival was certainly not guaranteed.
I had also heard the “bug splat” story. What a simple and elegant way to sort your aero! Those were very intense days with only “analog” tech and a whole lot of trial and error. Romance at its finest.
I also love watching old footage of Ayrton Senna. That man was an absolute nutter on the race track.

I couldn't conceivably agree more :)

I also love watching old footage of Ayrton Senna. That man was an absolute nutter on the race track.

I couldn't conceivably agree more :)
Senna was just…Senna. I was watching a live feed of the race the day he died. My wife and I were in bed watching when he crashed. I saw him in the cockpit, motionlesss. And then, just once, he convulsed and then went still. I said “oh my god, he’s dead. Ayrton Senna is dead!” He had a singular focus and was perhaps the greatest driver in history.
After that for some reason (not even really an intelligent or relevant response) my mantra became “f*ck Prost.” Even though he had absolutely nothing to do with the crash my hatred for the guy just grew exponentially. Weird, right?

Yeah Wind Tunnel testing wasn't much of a thing back in the 1970's.:)
Steve McQueen was always my idol back in the day. Starting with Bullit, the movie.
But he was always a strange duck.:LOL: Became a recluse.

Senna was just…Senna. I was watching a live feed of the race the day he died. My wife and I were in bed watching when he crashed. I saw him in the cockpit, motionlesss. And then, just once, he convulsed and then went still. I said “oh my god, he’s dead. Ayrton Senna is dead!” He had a singular focus and was perhaps the greatest driver in history.
After that for some reason (not even really an intelligent or relevant response) my mantra became “f*ck Prost.” Even though he had absolutely nothing to do with the crash my hatred for the guy just grew exponentially. Weird, right?
Yeah, I remember that race too. I think If he isn't the greatest driver in history, he's definitely top three. I think Juan Manuel Fangio is up there too. It's kind of difficult to compare them objectively because the cars they were driving were so different.
Weird? Perhaps...but we are who we are :)
Yeah Wind Tunnel testing wasn't much of a thing back in the 1970's.:)
Steve McQueen was always my idol back in the day. Starting with Bullit, the movie.
But he was always a strange duck.:LOL: Became a recluse.
I get the sense that we all like strange ducks. Birds of a feather flock together if you'll pardon the pun. :)

lol, I feel ya bro. Inside out painting just doesn't really compute at first. I had done polystyrene plastic modeling and that's just logical, painting from the outside. Trying to reverse that in your head makes your brain just go "beeep, bop, boooop".

The 917, initially, was an aerodynamic disaster and the car would just wander all over the track at high speed. The drivers were absolutely terrified of the thing. It turned out that no air was hitting the tail section of the car. They realized this after an engineer noticed that there were bug splatters all over the front of the car, a few on the middle and just none on the tail of the car. They then jerry rigged some raised aluminum sections to the tail of the car just before the beginning of a race and this settled the car down and made it drivable. And boy...was she fast.

The 917 was an amazing car, super fast but dangerous as hell. It was basically a fuel tank and motor on wheels, and not much else. The bravery of those old school drivers was simply on another level, taking those cars to over 220mph at Lemans, and in the dark and rain in the 24 hr. race.. Another bit of 917 trivia, some of the structural members of the chassis were actually used to hold fuel, I think that was the first Le Mans car to be designed this way. The Porsche 917, 956, and 962 are to me simply some of the best looking racecars ever made, love the looks of them

The 917 was an amazing car, super fast but dangerous as hell. It was basically a fuel tank and motor on wheels, and not much else. The bravery of those old school drivers was simply on another level, taking those cars to over 220mph at Lemans, and in the dark and rain in the 24 hr. race.. Another bit of 917 trivia, some of the structural members of the chassis were actually used to hold fuel, I think that was the first Le Mans car to be designed this way. The Porsche 917, 956, and 962 are to me simply some of the best looking racecars ever made, love the looks of them
Top speed at Le Mans for the 917 was 246mph. That's almost 400km/h. I'm shocked they found enough room in the cockpit for the driver's balls.

New Porsche 917 body for the Felony. I was going to use this as a speedrun body, but I thought it would look reminiscent of a real 917 on the Felony because of the tall and wide Felony rear tires. This is such a big body, I had to cut and trim a lot of it to get it to look the way I like, particularly off the front and sides as its so tall. The rear Felony tires are so wide that they were touching the body, but after setting it up with the body posts and droop screws I have it sitting right. I hadn't seen one of these 917 bodies on a Felony before, thought it would be cool to do it

View attachment 243242

View attachment 243248

View attachment 243249
I like it! Good job!

I like it too. Every so often this thread pops up in the relevant links below the thread you’re looking at and I revisit it here. Fantastic discussion of the 917. And I’m right there with @Notoriousone , the 917 and 956/962 are my favorite cars ever.

Back