Granite Dented capacitor on esc battery leads after bench collision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlobMarley

Reaction score
So was driving my granite 4x4 blx at a skatepark and jumped into the bottom of a concrete bench crushing the top of the body, motor fan and denting one of the capacitors on the battery lead coming out of the esc. Is the capacitor neccessary to replace? It still seemed to run fine as I didn't notice the dent till I got home but don't want to blow a battery or anything. Also any idea where to get this cable with caps already there? Really don't want to buy a new esc after the third run.

20200815_155455.jpg

20200815_155430.jpg

If it runs fine it’s probably ok.

As for replacing, you’d just buy like a castle cap pack and cut that one off and solder the new one on. Not expensive. $20-$30 for the cap pack. And not much more for some new heat shrinkage.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I figured it would be ok just wanted to be sure. Very surprised how easily the top of the body crumpled even though it was a bad angle. Now to make some sort of chassis mounted roll cage or a heavily reinforced body. Miss my Savage with the roll bar on the chassis.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I figured it would be ok just wanted to be sure. Very surprised how easily the top of the body crumpled even though it was a bad angle. Now to make some sort of chassis mounted roll cage or a heavily reinforced body. Miss my Savage with the roll bar on the chassis.
The 6S trucks have roll cages. It would take some creativity to adapt one on the 3S rigs.

If you know how to solder, you can easily replace those caps. Just make sure you pay attention to polarity or you will let the magic smoke out. It will come out rather violently.
Caps are cheap, if you know the value you can order these anywhere or ask for help. My guess, they are $0.50 a piece, shipping would be more.
They are packed in soft aluminium that can expand upon catastrophic fail, that little dent probably did nothing but I'd get some spares. If the cap is cracked, it won't work anymore but you will never notice until your ESC dies a horrible death.

Yeah I would hate to see it fizzle out on the next run. Nevermind the roll bar I found a chassis brace mod that will do the trick to prevent this again or I guess I could try not to flip it top forward into a concrete bench ?

So was driving my granite 4x4 blx at a skatepark and jumped into the bottom of a concrete bench crushing the top of the body, motor fan and denting one of the capacitors on the battery lead coming out of the esc. Is the capacitor neccessary to replace? It still seemed to run fine as I didn't notice the dent till I got home but don't want to blow a battery or anything. Also any idea where to get this cable with caps already there? Really don't want to buy a new esc after the third run.

View attachment 94597

View attachment 94598
I've had the solder come apart on two of these, and the decision I made at the time was to remove them completely. As much as I understand that capacitors are needed to help store energy, I never noticed that much difference once they were gone.

I've had the solder come apart on two of these, and the decision I made at the time was to remove them completely. As much as I understand that capacitors are needed to help store energy, I never noticed that much difference once they were gone.
Technically correct as they do store energy but only for fractions of seconds, more in the milli-or microsecond range. They simply filter out 'noise' that could over-stress the ESC electronics. Really depends on driving conditions and how good your connections are. Some can drive around without them for a long time while others might kill their ESC quickly. There is still partial capacitance from the other ones i.e. a low performing one probably doesn't matter.
These have typically ~10-20% tolerance as well i.e. with 5 of them you might be virtually missing one already, now have another one go out and you will start stressing components.
Again, for above. I wouldn't be worried but would put that on my to-do list for the next seasonal overhaul.

View attachment 94597

View attachment 94598
It looks fine. I'd only replace if it smokes or is smoking when you turn it on. Dents shouldn't affect it too bad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back