Dented ESC Capacitor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronF

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Had a bit of a crash and the ESC got hit hard, broke one of the mounting tabs off and dented one of the caps.

I have a thread here on the damage.

Here is the damage, what do we think? Still runs fine.

IMG_0356.jpeg

Looks like a touch of electrolyte is seeping from the fracture lines of the top.. you can clean it with alcohol and a q tip.. then put a thin layer of epoxy or rtv.. if you can keep it from drying up it will be fine..

Keep in mind the layer of whatever you use needs to be thin.. so if it wants to rupture it still can... 👍

Run it til it don’t run anymore. You’ll then know why it don’t run lol. J/k.
I wrecked speed running and destroyed my xlx2. Still powered up but it was short lived lol

Looks like a touch of electrolyte is seeping from the fracture lines of the top.. you can clean it with alcohol and a q tip.. then put a thin layer of epoxy or rtv.. if you can keep it from drying up it will be fine..

Keep in mind the layer of whatever you use needs to be thin.. so if it wants to rupture it still can... 👍
just did that very procedure, but put too much on. I'll clean some off quickly before it dries. Should have read this post first lol

If we have any 3D printer enthusiasts on here, a cool project would be to print a replacement cover which has taller shielding for the capacitors. Strange they didn’t do that from factory unless it if a cooling issue

If we have any 3D printer enthusiasts on here, a cool project would be to print a replacement cover which has taller shielding for the capacitors. Strange they didn’t do that from factory unless it if a cooling issue
They get pretty hot. They’re filled w dielectric juice ;-)

It's an idea for sure.. but you have to understand that was an extreme situation.. typically the esc would never see a shot like that.. even if it fell from 30ft.. 👍

It's an idea for sure.. but you have to understand that was an extreme situation.. typically the esc would never see a shot like that.. even if it fell from 30ft.. 👍
yeah, i think the better and easier option would be to create a skeleton for the body thats low enough to fit under the body itself, would protect everything. but then it might be cheaper to just replace the ESC lol

if you can take it apart you could solder on a new one. They are pretty easy to solder if you can get to the underside of the board. I don’t have any spectrum electronics to look for you. The mmx8s escs are all potted with some kind of epoxy so they are basically impossible to repair.

Might be worth a try before you declare it a total loss and throw it it in the bin.

Might even be worth just pulling it off with a pair of pliers and installing a cap pack on the battery lead. Probably accomplish the same thing.

if you can take it apart you could solder on a new one. They are pretty easy to solder if you can get to the underside of the board. I don’t have any spectrum electronics to look for you. The mmx8s escs are all potted with some kind of epoxy so they are basically impossible to repair.

Might be worth a try before you declare it a total loss and throw it it in the bin.

Might even be worth just pulling it off with a pair of pliers and installing a cap pack on the battery lead. Probably accomplish the same thing.
they're potted in with epoxy or something like that unfortunately so won't be getting them out anytime soon. I'll just drive it until it stops working :D

they're potted in with epoxy or something like that unfortunately so won't be getting them out anytime soon. I'll just drive it until it stops working :D

Well caps usually fail open or if they short they burn open pretty quickly so I would just add a cap pack (pretty cheap and easy to make a homemade one) just for in case, and bash on.

Well caps usually fail open or if they short they burn open pretty quickly so I would just add a cap pack (pretty cheap and easy to make a homemade one) just for in case, and bash on.
There are 2 caps on the feed from the battery side so would that suffice?

Should do the trick but without a wiring schematic it’s a bit hard to tell what feeds the damaged cap, could be the battery or output from the ESC to the motor which would make more sense.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back