Desire to race

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion EXB
I rekindled my love of rc a few years back and have a small make-shift track (that's way too short for my Talion) that I go to often to practice time, lines, and techniques from videos and forums. But none of it is organized. I'd like to be a part of official races. I know the type of rig typically depends on my nearest track, what others run, what the nearest hobby or on-site hobby store carries, etc., but for those that may have gone through this, what did you go with? Stick with Arrma, go with Losi or Assoc? I probably answered my question in my post re: what most people run at the track but I just wanted to get other views.

I run a Losi Mini B brushless mini rocket with every aftermarket part available and a 1/10 scale TA DB 10 RTR for the carpet tracks. I’ve yet to run a dirt track but I’ll take the Typhon. I can run my Talion too. I just haven’t been yet.
I’ll tell ya. You can make a clean pass once with a Mini B? You can drive anything anywhere. It’s hard AF. 😆

If you're gunna get into racing, be ready to pull out the wallet.

Depending on which class you want to run will depend on vehicle recommendations. BUT, right up front, you do not want to race with any mass produced, stamped part rig unless of course you choose a class of vehicle that is required to run in its factory form.

1/8th Buggy / Truggy class:
Mugen #1
No particular order below:
Xray
Serpent
Tekno

All kits that you will have to build.

I'm assuming you're talking about off road , so it depends on what the tracks around you have for surface , clay / dirt / carpet / turf . My LHS / track has all of them ( except clay ) . My favorite is the indoor 1/10 off road carpet , followed by the outdoor off road turf track . Racing is an excellent side of the RC hobby , very fun , break things less LOL !! I have and run Associated / Xray / Losi and recently bought a Schumacher .

If you're gunna get into racing, be ready to pull out the wallet.

Depending on which class you want to run will depend on vehicle recommendations. BUT, right up front, you do not want to race with any mass produced, stamped part rig unless of course you choose a class of vehicle that is required to run in its factory form.

1/8th Buggy / Truggy class:
Mugen #1
No particular order below:
Xray
Serpent
Tekno

All kits that you will have to build.
I love building kits !!!!

I just went through this myself getting back into it after 15 20 years away. I'm 1/10th outdoor off-road. I ran associated for years buggy and stadium trucks. In researching to get back in I ruled out associated surprisingly quickly. I decided I wanted to short course so it came down to tekno losi and arma. For a race ready front runner capable it would be the tekno in my opinion . But I chose the arma 3s 4x4 for the durability and local hobby shop part support. That and I like the idea of upgrading and modifying and want to see just how competitive I can make this truck. I've been to the track to practice 3 times and honestly right out of the box I'm running laps capable of mid pack. I know by the time I upgrade the shocks, rod ends, diffs etc. I'll be into it Tekno money but I'm enjoying making upgrades and testing. My next rig will be an 1/8 scale buggy and I'll probably go directly into race ready rig.

Really appreciate the comments here. Messaged the track and they said I can run my Tal in beginner class which is perfect. Gives me the taste of competing. Bulk of my costs will be a lap transponder and the proper type tire and compound for the track. I'll be sure to check out which class is most popular and what the onsite hobby shop carries most of as far as parts. Then I can pull the trigger on an e-buggy. Don't even want to touch nitro yet. Thanks again!

My vote is 100% TEKNO
I've been eyeballing Techno EB48 2.1 and Team Associated RC10B74.2D. Either 1/8 or 1/10. Just depends on the track when I finally go see it and get a feel for what's what. I'm used to running a 1/8 so I may just stick with that if at all possible. What would you recommend on the Techno side for 1/8 and 1/10 scale? It's going to boil down to what scale is most popular at my local track and which has the better parts on hand. I really want to buy local instead of the easy online route if possible.

Outdoor tracks

Large track Et48 or Eb 48
Medium track Eb48 or sct
We all know sct are more of a 1/8 scale
Small track Et410

Indoor tracks

Eb410 or Et410

I don’t race competitively but when at the track for fun I just run what’s close to the same size
No one wants there 1/10 buggy getting smashed by a 1/8 truggy that weighs in 3 times more
I always show up to the track with a buggy, truggy, and a SCT 😎

Really appreciate the comments here. Messaged the track and they said I can run my Tal in beginner class which is perfect. Gives me the taste of competing. Bulk of my costs will be a lap transponder and the proper type tire and compound for the track. I'll be sure to check out which class is most popular and what the onsite hobby shop carries most of as far as parts. Then I can pull the trigger on an e-buggy. Don't even want to touch nitro yet. Thanks again!
What surface ? Dirt / clay ? Is there an outdoor turf or indoor carpet ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back