Typhon Destroyed my brand new Typhon V4 on my very first pass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerDubs

Military Veteran
Reaction score
It is a good thing when I got my drivers license cars were slow. I would’ve crashed them the same way I crash these little hyper power cars.

Was excited for this weekend, got my new sky RC GPS, and my new Typhon and wanted to see what it could do stock before I start any modifications.

Started off this afternoon by unsoldering the stock battery connector and putting on an XT90.

I never intend on running to batteries in this car, so deleted that for less clutter and less resistance.

2A411B27-32A2-4A5F-B685-21AFFD160647.jpeg
7DCB2973-963D-4A03-9739-0A763B85DEF0.jpeg
1F72C799-7B9F-4C1C-A51E-8C4C08D7FFB7.jpeg
CF19D55B-4A88-4A85-9358-809AC909F0ED.jpeg
44B7BB82-F830-4DF6-A2CD-0A7A10EA097B.jpeg
9FE5B877-CDE9-4E8B-80C5-30A70807C5CD.jpeg
4842121B-6718-4AEA-83CB-61E72D7A2C9B.jpeg

I also took off the stock pinion and put on the speed gear, as I figured that would be the ultimate “stock“ baseline 6s before any other modifications.

So then headed to a parking lot nearby that used to be a national grocery store, but that shut down so it is mostly vacant.

I drove away from where I was standing, then turn the car around towards me pulled off fairly slow but as the car got closer to me I gave it a little more throttle and the fiddlesticker took off.

By the time I even turned my head it was out of control and skidded head on into a curb.

Hit so hardthat the battery unplugged itself, the three motor wires are all almost disconnected, the front end is destroyed, frame badly bent, bulkhead exploded, steering rack bent, upper metal plate bent, shock tower bent, esc mount plate bent, front driveshaft is a banana, rear shock tower bent... yes the rear!!

And that is just from looking at things without taking anything apart yet.

Considering this was supposed to be a speed project, I hadn’t planned on buying stronger parts as they wait more. So at this point it literally seems like it would be cheaper to buy a whole new car then it would to even fix all this.

I’m going to take it all apart anyway just to assess the damage for shits and giggles.

7961A462-8100-4788-B7A5-9DD0EB0F0B21.jpeg
0E78553A-0EA2-4728-9EB4-2CAB724408A5.jpeg
5689AA06-CD0D-43BC-AACD-4825907526B4.jpeg
73EF1128-E277-43EA-845D-17873FDD1698.jpeg
9FC1B78E-27E4-48CF-AE56-BCFC8A6A1D1E.jpeg
B8CF8E74-02E6-4AFB-80ED-43A382A444E1.jpeg
AF45A04B-434A-4848-80DC-DD66F60087FB.jpeg

Last edited:
It is a good thing when I got my drivers license cars were slow. I would’ve crashed them the same way I crash these little hyper power cars.

Was excited for this weekend, got my new sky RC GPS, and my new Typhon and wanted to see what it could do stock before I start any modifications.

Started off this afternoon by unsoldering the stock battery connector and putting on an XT90.

I never intend on running to batteries in this car, so deleted that for less clutter and less resistance.

View attachment 37879View attachment 37880View attachment 37881View attachment 37882View attachment 37883View attachment 37884View attachment 37885
I also took off the stock pinion and put on the speed gear, as I figured that would be the ultimate “stock“ baseline 6s before any other modifications.

So then headed to a parking lot nearby that used to be a national grocery store, but that shut down so it is mostly vacant.

I drove away from where I was standing, then turn the car around towards me pulled off fairly slow but as the car got closer to me I gave it a little more throttle and the fiddlesticker took off.

By the time I even turned my head it was out of control and skidded head on into a curb.

Hit so hardthat the battery unplugged itself, the three motor wires are all almost disconnected, the front end is destroyed, frame badly bent, bulkhead exploded, steering rack bent, upper metal plate bent, shock tower bent, esc mount plate bent, front driveshaft is a banana, rear shock tower bent... yes the rear!!

And that is just from looking at things without taking anything apart yet.

Considering this was supposed to be a speed project, I hadn’t planned on buying stronger parts as they wait more. So at this point it literally seems like it would be cheaper to buy a whole new car then it would to even fix all this.

I’m going to take it all apart anyway just to assess the damage for shits and giggles.

View attachment 37886View attachment 37887View attachment 37888View attachment 37889View attachment 37890View attachment 37891View attachment 37892
Wow! Big bummer for sure. I feel bad for you but I hope you can find some satisfaction somehow after the crash. If you were to buy a new vehicle, you'd at least have several backup parts , electrics at least. I know you wish for bumpers but you also wanted to run it stock before modifications. Hope you're motivated to hang in there and get it back on the road soon.

Man that sucks. Doesn't look like it was in the cards for either on of us today. I'm about to sit down and tear the whole front end of mine off to assess the damage after only one pass.

Supreme carnage. I love this hobby but car vs *any immovable object* always ends up with the same results. The only difference is the amount of damage. Fortunately, I only completely totalled 5 cars in 28 years of RC - & 3 of them were Traxxas :rolleyes: It does take a lot to total one though. Triple digit speed crashes works best.

Not many parts left I figure. ?

Example- look at the front driveshaft. Bent all the way down to the chassis. I can’t imagine that much end to end force applied without one or both of the diffs taking damage.

I’m sure I’ll find more broke as I take it apart.

My rule of thumb is that if it costs more than half the purchase price to fix then it's gone. I even lower it to 1/3 for Tower cars. That easy pay is way too enticing. I haven't wrecked an Arrma to that extent yet but I've seen plenty that would qualify - mostly here & YT.

Sorry to hear about another bad day. I can only imagine what you're thinking, and any of us would be thinking the same. I hope you can shake this stretch of badness, and get down to some good times with your rc's.

My rule of thumb is that if it costs more than half the purchase price to fix then it's gone. I even lower it to 1/3 for Tower cars. That easy pay is way too enticing. I haven't wrecked an Arrma to that extent yet but I've seen plenty that would qualify - mostly here & YT.
Interesting rule of thumb. I'll keep this in mind. ?

It doesn't look totaled to me.
Yeah, not even close. Jenny can see to that. Worst I've seen outside of complete dismemberment was a Kraton actually U'd right down the middle. All 3 diffs, center shafts, most internal plastics, ESC, etc all gone. $280 in damage even with the cheapest parts. That's totalled but he still fixed it. I would of had a new truck the next day & left the burrito in the shed.

Yeah, not even close. Jenny can see to that. Worst I've seen outside of complete dismemberment was a Kraton actually U'd right down the middle. All 3 diffs, center shafts, most internal plastics, ESC, etc all gone. $280 in damage even with the cheapest parts. That's totalled but he still fixed it. I would of had a new truck the next day & left the burrito in the shed.
Was that the guy running at night that put in under a car and completely folded the truck in half?

Last edited:
It doesn't look totaled to me.

Well, you have a stash of parts. To have to go out of pocket for everything is going to hurt.

Disassembly will show what’s needed. Going to try to start tomorrow. Can’t beleive I managed to bend a rear shock tower on a front impact. ?

Well, you have a stash of parts. To have to go out of pocket for everything is going to hurt.

Disassembly will show what’s needed. Going to try to start tomorrow. Can’t beleive I managed to bend a rear shock tower on a front impact. ?
Well, I wish you the best. And if you feel like selling the tires/wheels, I could be your guy. ?

If you use JRC it won't be bad. Shock towers can be hammered flat. The chassis my be a goner though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back