Destruction of upgraded metal idler gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcoventry4

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So this past weekend i had just put on some new duratrax hatchet mt wheels and tires on my granite and as the title describes i destroyed my metal upgraded idler gear in my transmission. Please tell me that this has happened to someone else and im not the only one to do so. Im thinking it was due to extreme traction with the new wheels and tires and running it on pavement.

With the high traction tires, landing a jump with the throttle pulled can really put some stress on your gearing. With my Terrain Crushers, I can land with some throttle pulled, as they are not very grippy, and will just spin when I hit the grass or dirt. But landing with the Duratrax Six Packs, nope. If I have the throttle pulled on landing, the car goes into wheelie mode. These things are just pure traction. if the tire spins the car is moving. So yeah new tires can work you gears if you are still driving them like you old tires.

With the high traction tires, landing a jump with the throttle pulled can really put some stress on your gearing. With my Terrain Crushers, I can land with some throttle pulled, as they are not very grippy, and will just spin when I hit the grass or dirt. But landing with the Duratrax Six Packs, nope. If I have the throttle pulled on landing, the car goes into wheelie mode. These things are just pure traction. if the tire spins the car is moving. So yeah new tires can work you gears if you are still driving them like you old tires.
Thank you for the opinion. Im still raking my brain on the fact that the teeth on the idler may of had some possible hair line fractures in it which i think is a good possibility but the world may never know lol.

Hi

It definitely sounds like you had a defective idler gear, you shold contact Arrma and let them know what happened, they might send you a new one at no charge When you get a new one I would recommend loosening the clutch by a 1/4 of a turn or even 1/2 a turn just to be on the safe side so it dosent happen again.

Last edited:
Hi

It definitely sounds like you had a defective idler gear, you shold contact Arrma and let them know what happened, they might send you a new one at no charge When you get a new one I would recommend loosening the clutch by a 1/4 of a turn or even 1/2 a turn just to be on the safe side so it dosent happen again.
Thank you i might to do that but as it stands right now, i threw the stock plastic gears back in it and loosened the cluch close to or maybe even a little over 3/4 of a turn just to get a little life untill i can get a new set of metal gears. Also upon investigation i also chewed up the diff ring gear too. But the input shaft gear is perfectly intact.

When i get back to my house on sunday i will take a pic or two of the idler gear to give some insight on what actually happened to it. But right now im on drill status with the national guard this weekend so like i said sunday.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back