Did anyone already bashed "upgraded" 8s ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marekrc

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
I am looking to buy the toughest rtr basher "within reason". I was ready to pull the trigger on MAXX since KRATONS had frame problems but I wasn`t okay with MAXX price - 4S being more expensive than 6S Kraton - not to mention handling. I wasn`t also ok with paying 900$ for Kraton 8S and then adding 200$ mods on top of it. Fortunately, I have read about KRATON 8S upgrade.

Basically I want to know if this upgrade solves the bent frame problem?

I know this being Arrma forum people will say that 8S did not really had problems with frame, only 10% of users got them because they were asking for it - let`s assume I am in this 10% :)
I want to know if some1 already got upgraded version and bashed it hard few times without issues.
I saw 1 comment under Kevin video of him upgrading 8S to M2C chassis that said "I had V1 and it bent but I was able to return it. I got V1.5 about 3 weeks ago and it's still straight as a board, even with crashes that have shattered the A-arms and the wing mount." but maybe some1 here can confirm?

Thanks!

but maybe some1 here can confirm?
Thanks!
I don't think anyone can - most who had issues upgraded to other chassis M2C and others .. I never had the issue but went for the M2C early and only installed it after applying the upgraded parts - but I am not in the 10% you refer to - yet maybe never ...

so its difficult to prove unless you give a v1.5 to someone to see if he can still manage to break it ...

I had a head on collision with a concrete pole at about 35 mph. On one side (side of impact), the whole front tower assembly shifted a couple of millimeters inward. This broke the suspension hanger set (about $6) and a rear arm (weird right?!). A shock is slightly damaged, but still functional. Front arms where also fine.

Now on to where you came here for, the chassis and the braces. I have the v1.5 braces installed and the chassis slightly bend opposite to the point of impact. The braces are fine, no bends or breakages. I assume the force of the impact was initially absorbed by the braces but they are/where installed so tight that the energy shifted back to the shock tower. The shock tower shifted, including the suspension hanger which is held tight by two screws in the chassis.

The bend is far less severe than the ones I’ve seen so far, and it was a pretty nasty crash. I mean, 35 mph head on against a solid object “should’ve” done more damage considering some of the “conservative” driving people talk about while explaining different breakages or bends.

I bent the chassis back with a vice and made DIY aluminum brace to prevent the same thing from happening again. But like I said, you can’t really prepare your vehicle for such crashes. Same goes for massive jumps and bad landings.

So yes, I feel like the basher kit contributed to less severe damage to the chassis. I’ve included some pictures so you can judge for yourself.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply! The damage you got I guess is expected with such a crash and metal frame. I guess Traxxiss knows what they are doing with an all-plastic body.

Did you try jumping it?

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply! The damage you got I guess is expected with such a crash and metal frame. I guess Traxxiss knows what they are doing with an all-plastic body.

Did you try jumping it?

Yes, I did. But nothing extreme. It doesn’t break on good landings, but things get sketchy on bad landings. I’ve seen the rear arms snapping when it lands on one of those. But it takes quite a beating with proper landings so I guess it takes a bit of practice.

I have driven 50 Hours on V1, jumps falls crashes. Chassis OK, reinforcement OK. I myself am surprised how many cars can withstand any broken parts just one steering screw ..

I don't save the car at all, there were a few unpleasant landings without fractures. I love Kraton 8S, time stops when it jumps in the air: D

I never broke anything on my Kraton V1. I actually didn’t start breaking and bending things until I upgraded it.

Truth is, if you aren’t pushing the car beyond what it is capable of doing you’ll be just find. The only time you’ll break arms, or bend an axle is on a direct landing on one. The chassis generally won’t bend unless you are landing hard on concrete and not level. Obviously head on collisions and crashes into immovable objects will break things as well.

For the average driver who won’t actually upgrade or do anything excessive with the car, the stock out the box Kraton is amazing.

I never broke anything on my Kraton V1. I actually didn’t start breaking and bending things until I upgraded it.

Truth is, if you aren’t pushing the car beyond what it is capable of doing you’ll be just find. The only time you’ll break arms, or bend an axle is on a direct landing on one. The chassis generally won’t bend unless you are landing hard on concrete and not level. Obviously head on collisions and crashes into immovable objects will break things as well.

For the average driver who won’t actually upgrade or do anything excessive with the car, the stock out the box Kraton is amazing.
You mean the one that does 30mph ??‍♂️??

You mean the one that does 30mph ??‍♂️??

He is right though. Multiple LHSs in my country are receiving a growing number of upgraded K8S’s with drivetrain issues, and zero (0) complaints from people who run the truck stock. A bigger pinion, different diff oil or a Max5 ESC won’t cause a lot of trouble. It’s the combination of 30-40T pinion, 7-9 kW motors, practically locked diffs, high punch settings and heavy tires that are causing premature wear in some cars. All of them being upgraded models, so there’s a correlation. People won’t talk about this online (yet), because it would probably confirm that pushing the car to its limits over a longer period of time wasn’t smart.

I started with the V1.5 and have put it though a good amount of stress (c arms snap, hinge pins bend, shock shafts also) with no bending of the stock frame. After a good month or so of bashing it stock, I upgraded to the M2C SWB because I wanted a little more stuntablity so the shorter frame lends itself well to this. All the K8 videos on our channel are stock v1.5 until the last one uploaded. Take a look what she is capable of right out of the box. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeKcewywvrBDA0GQ6HC-IOA?view_as=subscriber

I just got the v1.5 rear low bracing and center tower, and i keept my old tubing with carbon fiber tubes on. (Modded the new center tower same way like Mastaa here did to keep my old t2t brace with cf on.

Now i really had guts to send it high on full trottle (using 23T stock system)

It takes a lot of beating and since it wasnt bend after todays bash i don't think it ever will bend the rear of the chassis by jumping it.

Would do the carbon fiber tubing on the braces no matter what the plans are, it looks good and make them unbendable ?

I’ve had my v1.5 a week now and nosed it from 20 or so feet broke the front bumper off and chassis is straight as an arrow, I’m pretty sure those types of crashes is what was bending the first ones, Honestly I was very disappointed with it out of the box but after replacing center diff fluid and going with 25 tooth pinion I’m very impressed with it! I also have an xmaxx and Right now it’s a toss up of what one I like better. Only time will tell how well everything else will hold up on the kraton, hopefully as well as the xmaxx has over the last year. I also have little maxx the front bulk head snapped in two on a crash that really wasn’t that bad I’m assuming they have an issue because NOBODY has the front bulk head in stock including Traxxas! I just hope they are updating it or changing the material composition or something, just my two cents enjoy shopping!!

I've had my V1.5 for about 2/3 months now. Bone stock, only modification is a 21t pinion. So far there's been ZERO bending of the frame. I don't drive my car like an absolute maniac but I do push it pretty good bashing it, jumping it 20+ feet, and every once in a while a bad crash. Only things that I've broken so far are the front bumper, a shock rod end, and I've blown 2 tires. But besides those minor things my stock V1.5 has been extremely durable. I have no regrets spending $900+ on it and I don't think you would either.

I've had my V1.5 for about 2/3 months now. Bone stock, only modification is a 21t pinion. So far there's been ZERO bending of the frame. I don't drive my car like an absolute maniac but I do push it pretty good bashing it, jumping it 20+ feet, and every once in a while a bad crash. Only things that I've broken so far are the front bumper, a shock rod end, and I've blown 2 tires. But besides those minor things my stock V1.5 has been extremely durable. I have no regrets spending $900+ on it and I don't think you would either.

Yes the durability is very good. At this time owning and running this truck ammount of times, with bad landings and bashing i have replaced this stuff on other new trucks before: driveshafts, a arms, wheel hubs, suspension pins, body and all that kind of stuff.
On my k8s the hole truck is still stock!
Only snapped a wing mount, but fixed it with some glue and a ziptie.

Not forget the body it is very tough, finaly getting a truck that does not eat bodies!
Im happy to see that arrma did something to the bending issue in just 3-4 months.
Looks very promising.

This is really nice to hear guys - I am glad that M2C chassis is not a must.
Unfortunately, I asked around in my country about v1.5 - they have stock of v1 models which no one apparently buys due to COVID, and 1.5 is not even on the horizon...

This is really nice to hear guys - I am glad that M2C chassis is not a must.
Unfortunately, I asked around in my country about v1.5 - they have stock of v1 models which no one apparently buys due to COVID, and 1.5 is not even on the horizon...

Here they sell them out as soon as they get in stock. The Rc hobby got more popular because of covid it seems.
You could ask for a discount, then buy the upgrade parts if you don't want to wait? It should be a fair deal

Rats, I must be one of the 10 percent. My 1.5 (actually they don’t advertise the Version, but came brand new from Horizon last week July 2020) frame bent running bone stock 6S into a stationary object at a very moderate speed. Nothing else shows wrong, (scuffs on the shock tower) but the body doesn’t sit onto the posts now and you can see that the front tab is slightly curved upward. I thought the only difference between v1 and (v1.5? v2? Later version) was just the radio.

Can I just bend it back a couple millimeters?

Still waiting for my t bone bumper :/

Rats, I must be one of the 10 percent. My 1.5 (actually they don’t advertise the Version, but came brand new from Horizon last week July 2020) frame bent running bone stock 6S into a stationary object at a very moderate speed. Nothing else shows wrong, (scuffs on the shock tower) but the body doesn’t sit onto the posts now and you can see that the front tab is slightly curved upward. I thought the only difference between v1 and (v1.5? v2? Later version) was just the radio.

Can I just bend it back a couple millimeters?

Still waiting for my t bone bumper :/
Are the red top braces bent or the mounts broken?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back