Kraton Did Arrma need to redesign the diffs in the EXB?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Did Arrma really need to redesign the diffs in the EXB? Did we really need LSD diffs? Could they have just used stronger pins and upped the center diff fluid to 300k-500k?

I really think they tried to reinvent the wheel and it blew up in their faces. The V4 diffs are fine and people have run 8S through them without issue. I would have no issues if they used the same diffs.

What do you guys think, especially the people that bought one. Would you have still bought it if the diffs were the same as the RTR?

Did Arrma really need to redesign the diffs in the EXB? Did we really need LSD diffs? Could they have just used stronger pins and upped the center diff fluid to 300k-500k?

I really think they tried to reinvent the wheel and it blew up in their faces. The V4 diffs are fine and people have run 8S through them without issue. I would have no issues if they used the same diffs.

What do you guys think, especially the people that bought one. Would you have still bought it if the diffs were the same as the RTR?
They tried to make a bulletproof diff who in some way are bulletproof if they have the LSD plates on even if they use them as shims with the 3 star plates on both sides.if you compair both diffs v4 and exb the internal gears are smaller on the exb who doesn't make sense to call them 25% stronger when they are smaller. Imo they should have made maybe similar size gears re design the sun gears with bigger teeths and don't make them hollow like the v4 had. Or they could have simply trew a redesigned v4 diffs in the rear. So far people have been having issues with the rear diff and others did not. even after shimming them correctly they still fail. The shims doesn't support the whole sun gears .Those diffs were made to have LSD by taking them off in the rear diff they made the mistake.

If it came with v4 diffs maybe not because of the sun gear splitting in half/pin breaking but if the mugen seiki shims was the fix for that then yes i would buy the ruck knowing the diff wont poop on itself under normal sure.

They tried to make a bulletproof diff who in some way are bulletproof if they have the LSD plates on even if they use them as shims with the 3 star plates on both sides.if you compair both diffs v4 and exb the internal gears are smaller on the exb who doesn't make sense to call them 25% stronger when they are smaller. Imo they should have made maybe similar size gears re design the sun gears with bigger teeths and don't make them hollow like the v4 had. Or they could have simply trew a redesigned v4 diffs in the rear. So far people have been having issues with the rear diff and others did not. even after shimming them correctly they still fail. The shims doesn't support the whole sun gears .Those diffs were made to have LSD by taking them off in the rear diff they made the mistake.

If it came with v4 diffs maybe not because of the sun gear splitting in half/pin breaking but if the mugen seiki shims was the fix for that then yes i would buy the ruck knowing the diff wont poop on itself under normal sure.
I've never split a sun gear in half and I had been running a Max6 with the 4092 motor. The diffs held up fine. Just my two cents.

I think arrma tried to make a truck who is kinda of an hybrid under use because with one type of weight oil you get a constant diff action at low speed or high speed the diffs still work the same. The LSD behaves differently at low speed and at high speed the differential action changes under the contitions your going trought. I kinda like their idea the lsd diffs are solid so far just the rear open diff was a mistake they could have just made a flat back sungears with large shims than just removing the LSD and put small shims instead
I've never split a sun gear in half and I had been running a Max6 with the 4092 motor. The diffs held up fine. Just my two cents.
Good to hear but other people have reported that constant issue for a while if your driving is already really hard on the diffs how they broke theirs i don't know

I think arrma tried to make a truck who is kinda of an hybrid under use because with one type of weight oil you get a constant diff action at low speed or high speed the diffs still work the same. The LSD behaves differently at low speed and at high speed the differential action changes under the contitions your going trought. I kinda like their idea the lsd diffs are solid so far just the rear open diff was a mistake they could have just made a flat back sungears with large shims than just removing the LSD and put small shims instead
It's a monster truggy. How much better does it need to handle? ? I was perfectly happy with the handling of my since sold V3. I ran 1 mil in the center and it handles fine with the 4092 powerplant.

Sucks that i have to wait another week or two before running my exb she just needs the lsd plates and shes ready for her first run. I stripped all 3 motor screws of the back plate the thing was full of threadlock i had to grip the button heads with my drill? arrma threadlock is blue from what i saw but what kind of freaking blue threadlock they are using idk one day blue liquid was pooring off the motor mount lol its blue epoxy

Larger gear surfaces would have been all they needed to do.

I've had my Kraton for 4 months and I've shattered 5 sun gears and lots of pins. Not sure what i'm doing that is causing it.

It's a monster truggy. How much better does it need to handle? ? I was perfectly happy with the handling of my since sold V3. I ran 1 mil in the center and it handles fine with the 4092 powerplant.
I get that but a few people compared the exb and the v4 in bashing and the exb was jumping better doing stuns better and somewhat handling better too both were running stock arrma electronics

I've had my Kraton for 4 months and I've shattered 5 sun gears and lots of pins. Not sure what i'm doing that is causing it.
Something wrong ?

Stock plastic cups? I suspect they are worn out. From my experience the plastic cups when snuggled up squish the cup and the tolerances are no longer there. Install a set of aluminum ones. After assembly they should operate smoothly.

I think so - there were enough upgraded parts and the fact that it was available as a roller that not having these new diffs wouldn't have mattered to me.

I've been following these diff threads on a more cursory level since mine have been running OK. I wonder if the fix will be new sun gears without the ring cutout for the LSD plate or if the solution is just to stuff 3 plates in there. Also kind of disappointed that there hasn't been much more official word other than to make sure there's enough shim thickness.

I don't own one but from the second I looked at the schematic that was my first thought. "Oh great, lots of little parts to break"
From my experience, if you are not a serious track racer... then an LSD does not matter. When thinking about making a model that is tuff/reliable nothing gets more reliable than the standard "open" diffs.

Something wrong ?

Yes apparently! I blew one up on stock electronics and the rest on the max 6 setup. Not really sure what it is though. I always do a thorough cleaning and shim everything up. Seems the pins will break and the sun gears follow. I had one where the pins broke but the sun gears survived. I know this won't go over well but I've had a Maxx for the same amount of time and have never blew a diff, thats on 4 and 6s. Not an argument for Traxxas, my Kraton is my favorite. Just a comparison, I drive and maintain them both the same.
Stock plastic cups? I suspect they are worn out. From my experience the plastic cups when snuggled up squish the cup and the tolerances are no longer there. Install a set of aluminum ones. After assembly they should operate smoothly.

Yes all that have broken were in plastic cups. I installed an aluminium on the center and its been perfect since. I added aluminum to the front and rear the last time they broke, so still working on those. So far so good. Thanks!

Last edited:
Arrma has a fix for the rear diff issue. That much I know. What it is though I do not. If it's something like they did with the Kraton 8S I expect a lot of butthurt and probably justified. You know they just aren't going to hand out the "fix" for free even though I think they should in this case. Time will tell.

I don't own one but from the second I looked at the schematic that was my first thought. "Oh great, lots of little parts to break"
From my experience, if you are not a serious track racer... then an LSD does not matter. When thinking about making a model that is tuff/reliable nothing gets more reliable than the standard "open" diffs.

Though it seems like the LS diffs are doing OK so far - it's only when they tried to un-LS the LS diffs that problems started appearing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back