Outcast Did I make a mistake during venting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, well I guess I'll do it.. I haven't run my stock Kraton tires yet, but will - as 5S and 6S are blowing up my couple sets of MT4 G3 tires I've been using(including on my Kraton..) I need to find a video about how to do it exactly.. Not sure exactly about what copper tube I need...

This is taken directly from the new Kraton EXB manual..!!

Pre-vented from the factory ( at last )..?

Screenshot 2020-07-06 at 18.33.03.jpeg

I did it with nail clippers on a couple of tires! Lexan curved scissors will do too. Leaves a nice oval hole if you pinch the tire just right.

History on venting (or am I venting? ;))
1) Tires need to be vented to let the air in/out at high speeds when the tires balloon.
2) The Arrma tires all come vented (bold statement and could be wrong). They have holes on the inside of the rim. Great!

Well not so great as these holes trap dirt and water. If you never drive in wet conditions or ever get water near your rig your tire foam will ultimately deteriorate due to that dirt. If you get water in it will cause your tires to explode at high rpm.

As a logical consequence, people started plugging the holes on the inside with tape. No more dirt, no moter water. Problem solved?

No -> due to air being trapped, as soon as you get into higher tire rpms the air pressure will break the glue and destroy the tire again.

Hence, cover the inside and create holes on the outside perimeter, minimum of 2 (ooposite each other) to let the water&dirt back out that will now come in as well as the air. I always do 4 holes i.e. 1 per quadrant as in the picture above.

Use whatever makes a hole and leaves a clean cut. I use drills, dremel chisel type tools etc. I've never used a sharpened tube but that will work as well and will leave a clean hole. Just don't run your drill at 1000 rpm, it will suck out the foam and destroy it. Pushing it by hand is just fine.

In summary, plug the inside, holes in outside = bashing fun

Sealed tires are also too bouncy and change shape depending on air pressure and temp.

So I bought some 4mm brass tubing, and just did three sets of tires... Holes seem small, but we’ll see what happens... Taping the inside holes with wheels on the truck was a PIA(threadlock though...)

Attachments

• 1F486B06-1E9C-4405-A2F2-F469B8A59ED5.jpeg
    1F486B06-1E9C-4405-A2F2-F469B8A59ED5.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 48
  • B39A396F-6E3A-4EDF-81E3-BD81358CAFC5.jpeg
    B39A396F-6E3A-4EDF-81E3-BD81358CAFC5.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 46
They are large enough. I just use tape on the inside ones and that is easy, not sure what you are doing. Threadlock is not good for the plastic and doesn't seal anything.

I meant I had put a dab of threadlock on the wheel nuts, and I started rounding out one of the wheel hexes trying to get it off.. So I just gave up, screwed it back on, and had to put the tape in while the wheel was still on the truck... Did it for the whole truck, so as not to risk rounding out another one..

I used to threadlock LST2 wheel nuts, but never really needed to with my MT4 G3 on 4S.. With the Kraton though the nuts were coming loose nearly every run..

Got it! I do the same but in small doses and blue stuff, never had an issue removing the wheel though. I can see that being bad

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back