Kraton Did i set my ESC right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dauransx

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
When i first turned on my ESC after i upgraded its ESC and had to set the throttle, neutral and brake i had the throttle nob to neutral (the line pointing down?) but my kraton has the power and speed of when it was stock, maybe a lil more but feels like im getting half the power. My build is HW Max6, HS 1480kv, SMC 6s 90c lipo and difs 30k/100k/60k and 19t/50t. I seen the same builds on youtube and theirs screams and flys in the air on flat ground at 1/3rd throttle with the same setup and lipo. I don't have a way to test batterys to see if its my lipo so im hoping its how i have it set and im getting 50% the throttle at full trigger?

Last edited:
Their punch setting may be set higher than yours. What is yours set at?
The HW max8 is set to 5 (max). The directions said to max the throttle nob to max but yet said to set it to neutral when you first set up the ESC. it did not make sense.

maybe that might be the nob's range?
I use the throttle nob to set the throttle at a constant speed, sort of like a cruise control when I am walking with it.

When i first turned on my ESC after i upgraded its ESC and had to set the throttle, neutral and brake i had the throttle nob to neutral (the line pointing down?) but my kraton has the power and speed of when it was stock, maybe a lil more but feels like im getting half the power. My build is HW Max6, HS 1480kv, SMC 6s 90c lipo and difs 30k/100k/60k and 19t/50t. I seen the same builds on youtube and theirs screams and flys in the air on flat ground at 1/3rd throttle with the same setup and lipo. I don't have a way to test batterys to see if its my lipo so im hoping its how i have it set and im getting 50% the throttle at full trigger?
Sounds like you're ESC may not be properly calibrated to the controller. I'll try to look up recalibration steps. Normally the specific sequence must be followed exactly. With car on a stand, have transmitter on and knob settings at 5 O'clock. Hold set button on ESC down and turn ESC on. Release set button quickly, after 1 second maybe. With the throttle in the neutral position, press set. Next is full throttle, press set button. Lastly full Brake and press the set button again. You should see 1, then 2, and finally 3 green blinks for each corresponding step of calibration. Remember this is also a low KV, high torque motor. To get the same too speeds, you may need to gear up to 20+ tooth.

Sounds like you're ESC may not be properly calibrated to the controller. I'll try to look up recalibration steps. Normally the specific sequence must be followed exactly. With car on a stand, have transmitter on and knob settings at 5 O'clock. Hold set button on ESC down and turn ESC on. Release set button quickly, after 1 second maybe. With the throttle in the neutral position, press set. Next is full throttle, press set button. Lastly full Brake and press the set button again. You should see 1, then 2, and finally 3 green blinks for each corresponding step of calibration. Remember this is also a low KV, high torque motor. To get the same too speeds, you may need to gear up to 20+ tooth.
Cool, thanks for the help rich.

Hi. I recently installed a Leopard 4092 1480kv in my Kraton(pretty similar to the HS motor I think) and am running a 20t pinion and the stock ESC with punch setting at 9 and 2 3s lipos with 65c rating. The car is crazy fast! I had to fix my drivetrain though as it began to make grinding noises under hard acceleration and braking (see below). Would like to know how you get on with the HW Max8 ESC performance wise as I was thinking about getting one but don't know if I could handle much more power than what I am getting through the stock ESC! Good luck anyway man.
Hi
I had really bad grinding noise from my Kraton under hard acceleration and braking last weekend. I knew my diffs were in good shape because I only rebuilt and shimmed them and also changed bearings a few weeks ago. Took out the diffs and checked them and they were 100% perfect. Crown gear and input gear were also ok. Only other thing I could think of was the crown gear on the diff not meshing correctly with the input gear in the housing.

What I did was put a 0.050" thick washer between the crown gear and the bearing on the diff output drive. I added a few pics before during and after.View attachment 15179 View attachment 15180View attachment 15181 View attachment 15182

Did the same with the rear diff.
Tried a couple of test runs and drive train now seems solid. Not a hint of grinding. My only concern is that the washer may put additional stresses on the diff bearings and or the input drive bearing but time will tell.

Check your settings on your radio. My son has somehow messed up endpoints on my rx so i wasnt getting full throttle range. Kids done it twice and he has his own kraton so i don't know why hes messin with mine

Check your settings on your radio. My son has somehow messed up endpoints on my rx so i wasnt getting full throttle range. Kids done it twice and he has his own kraton so i don't know why hes messin with mine
Yeah i have yet to test anything, im being lazy right now plus its cold.... ill prob twist the throttle nob up till it starts moving at the right point if its not perfect as is and if that doesn't work then ill do what rich said but thinking about it, im 95% sure i did it like that. I could just be picky and it could be 100% fine for a 19t....

Side note: the switch by the power switch TH N-R, its set to R. don't know what that is... Also the 2 buttons on the right side, i hit them many times but the book just says end point buttons.

No problem bro, hope it helps. Please get back to me about this. I'm definitely curious as to what's up.
I re did the settings as you said but im sure i did that before but i may just be picky or its the transmitter settings like RC daddy said. i was hitting the 2 side buttons that the book says are endpoints but no idea what they are for but it seems to have more of a punch now that i was hitting the lower one? i got the proline trenchers 1169-13 3.8" maybe that will help to power to the ground?

I re did the settings as you said but im sure i did that before but i may just be picky or its the transmitter settings like RC daddy said. i was hitting the 2 side buttons that the book says are endpoints but no idea what they are for but it seems to have more of a punch now that i was hitting the lower one? i got the proline trenchers 1169-13 3.8" maybe that will help to power to the ground?
OK so I got myself a HW Max8 to run with my Leopard 1480kv in my Kraton. Curiosity got the better of me. I was a bit dissapointed with the performance on first run like you Dauransx - seemed pretty similar to the stock ESC. Solved the problem tonight. When I initially set the ESC up with the transmitter the throttle trim was set to maximum which was incorrect. I went through the procedure again but instead set my throttle trim to minimum (This is what the instruction manual says - so I should have read it more carefully first time!). Wow! What a difference! The car is an animal - totally awesome! My transmitter is an ATX 100 -the stock one for the V1 Kraton. Hope this helps man.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back