Talion Diff and Shock Oil Suggestions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FriedOne

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
Hi Guys,
I have been watching RC Collaborative on YouTube suggesting the following oil weights for the Talion EXB 6S.
Diffs Front and Rear @ 80K
Centre Diff @ 500K
Shocks:
Front @ 70K
Rear @ 60K
What are your opinions on this set up for bashing and a little road running a well.
Cheers.

Too high all around on diffs imo. Someone will chime in on what the equivalent is for the lsd diffs but I run 60/300/30 on v5 diffs on both my 6s arrmas and I'm pretty certain I'm going to be doing 200 in the center of my Kraton next time I service them.

My Noto 300k in the center is perfect.

I have yet to change the shock oil from stock. It's done fine for decently high jumps on the Noto and all arounding on the Kraton.

Too high all around on diffs imo. Someone will chime in on what the equivalent is for the lsd diffs but I run 60/300/30 on v5 diffs on both my 6s arrmas and I'm pretty certain I'm going to be doing 200 in the center of my Kraton next time I service them.

My Noto 300k in the center is perfect.

I have yet to change the shock oil from stock. It's done fine for decently high jumps on the Noto and all arounding on the Kraton.
Thanks man. Appreciate your input. This is what I need some debate on this. I don't have much experience with fliud viscosity. I will put this project on hold until I'm satisfied with the weights. Have a good night.

60f/500c/30r is a good place to start.. alot of factors come into play(power, terrain, tires, preference) 60wt on the shocks is a good starter too, but again, alot of variables there

On exb diffs?
Im trying 200 in a Kraton Center EXB LSD Dif with 3 plates.
I also have a BLX OD with 1000 and they are similar. But I cant image thats good the the LSD Dif. Must get Hot! Im waiting for a melt down.

On standard diff I use 40/500/20 and in the shocks I use 100wt front and rear with 1.2 pistons in the front and 1.3 on the rear.
On 6s

My talion has 500k in the center with a 46f infraction diff and it works great. Kraton has 500k in center exb diff and it's also nice lol. Personally I put 500k in the center of everything 🤣. My trucks have upgraded electronics and I don't like exploding front tires so they get 500k and all my on road rigs get 500k because it's better for acceleration.

80k in the front and rear diffs is a little high. You may run into handling difficulties going that high. Other weight looks good. 500k in the EXB center diff might be a little high but its just a case of personal preference.

My talion has 500k in the center with a 46f infraction diff and it works great. Kraton has 500k in center exb diff and it's also nice lol. Personally I put 500k in the center of everything 🤣. My trucks have upgraded electronics and I don't like exploding front tires so they get 500k and all my on road rigs get 500k because it's better for acceleration.
Thanks Moira,
I have never switched out my diff oil before. I don't mind the task. I just don't have much knowledge on oil viscosities. This is what I was hoping someone who has 500k in a Talion can share their driving experience with me. How does the car perform with 500k in the centre diff. I do not race my car on a track. I just want it to be a kick ass performer. I have replaced most of the plastics with RPM and my last upgrade was HR steering blocks. It is handling pretty good. All I now need to do is address the oil changes.
Thanks man.
80k in the front and rear diffs is a little high. You may run into handling difficulties going that high. Other weight looks good. 500k in the EXB center diff might be a little high but its just a case of personal preference.
Thanks for your input. What weights do you recommend.

Thanks Moira,
I have never switched out my diff oil before. I don't mind the task. I just don't have much knowledge on oil viscosities. This is what I was hoping someone who has 500k in a Talion can share their driving experience with me. How does the car perform with 500k in the centre diff. I do not race my car on a track. I just want it to be a kick ass performer. I have replaced most of the plastics with RPM and my last upgrade was HR steering blocks. It is handling pretty good. All I now need to do is address the oil changes.
Thanks man.

Thanks for your input. What weights do you recommend.
NP bro! Imo the main reason to go 500k in the center is to get a more even power distribution between front and rear. It helps to stop the front tires from getting most of the power and ballooning. The main con I think is the fact that 500k in the center could lead to more wheelies but personally I don't have a problem with that even with backflip lp's, it's even harder to wheelie if you're using stock tires.

Before I did 500k in the center I was blowing front tires when I tried to do standing backflips or even wheelies. They call it "diffin out" iirc. You'd also probably be fine with 300k as well though tbh.

NP bro! Imo the main reason to go 500k in the center is to get a more even power distribution between front and rear. It helps to stop the front tires from getting most of the power and ballooning. The main con I think is the fact that 500k in the center could lead to more wheelies but personally I don't have a problem with that even with backflip lp's, it's even harder to wheelie if you're using stock tires.

Before I did 500k in the center I was blowing front tires when I tried to do standing backflips or even wheelies. They call it "diffin out" iirc. You'd also probably be fine with 300k as well though tbh.
Thanks Bud,
Awesome. From what feedback you guys are giving me sounds like 60K Rear , 30K Front and either 300 or 500K for the Centre Diff. This seems to be what you guys are recommending.
I do have 60Wt and 70Wt shock oil on hand. 60 all round or do both 60 and 70Wt shock oil.
Thanks Man.
60k front 30k rear 500k center. Switched EXB LSD diffs with the open shim kit.
You still recommend these with stock EXB diffs?
Thanks Bud.

You still recommend these with stock EXB diffs?
Thanks Bud.
I tried 500k with the lsd plates in the center and definitely gave me more wheelies. I just swapped to the open shim with this part ARA311094. Still have that good traction but not as much flipping over and behaving like a turtle.

One thing I would change right away are the tires. They make a huge difference. Even with 500k in the center diff it still would not want to wheelie at all. No traction with those tires on my opinion. I opted for the popular 4s backflips.

For shock oil I use the stock 2000cst. Not sure what the weight equivalent is.

I noticed that going from 500k to 1000k in a BLX center dif greatly help keep the front from ballooning and the nose down. This is for speed runs over Grass fields. I was expecting more wheelies but thats not so much the case, as you are saying. I do see with less ballooning, the nose stays more planted through the runs. I also see that once it lifts from pizza-cutting ballooning, its not coming back down again and... thats when we cartwheel and tumble.
I went from 100 to 500 in the front dif and 60 to 200 in the rear dif which helped keep it more straight and again more planted. But it will still jump and try to kill you easily enough. More Pinion :cool: that seems to help!
It does push more through turns but the rears not so overpowered :rolleyes: Much more controllable over grass and rough bumps. Faster for sure. Just make wider turns.

edit: on the 6s street buggy I run 80 front, 200 LSD center and 60 rear as most here recommend and its great. Im learning that a stiffer center is a good trade off for keeping straight and going faster.

Last edited:
P
I noticed that going from 500k to 1000k in a BLX center dif greatly help keep the front from ballooning and the nose down. This is for speed runs over Grass fields. I was expecting more wheelies but thats not so much the case, as you are saying. I do see with less ballooning, the nose stays more planted through the runs. I also see that once it lifts from pizza-cutting ballooning, its not coming back down again and... thats when we cartwheel and tumble.
I went from 100 to 500 in the front dif and 60 to 200 in the rear dif which helped keep it more straight and again more planted. But it will still jump and try to kill you easily enough. More Pinion :cool: that seems to help!
It does push more through turns but the rears not so overpowered :rolleyes: Much more controllable over grass and rough bumps. Faster for sure. Just make wider turns.

edit: on the 6s street buggy I run 80 front, 200 LSD center and 60 rear as most here recommend and its great. Im learning that a stiffer center is a good trade off for keeping straight and going faster.
fish,
Great info for sure. It's quite interesting to see the ride changes by altering the diff fluids. I popped into my hobby shop after work this afternoon and picked up some fluids. I decided to go with 300K for Center but they were out. Said they have been on back order for a year now. What's up with that. So I went with 500K instead. They also did not have 50K that I wanted for the front diff. Opted for 60K and 30K for the rear.
For shocks I picked up 60Wt. Tonight I replaced the Centre and Rear. Can't wait to run it tomorrow afternoon. I will do the front as well.
I am hoping its not going to want to wheelie all the time. Will run it all the same and go from there.
60k front 30k rear 500k center. Switched EXB LSD diffs with the open shim kit.
I tried 500k with the lsd plates in the center and definitely gave me more wheelies. I just swapped to the open shim with this part ARA311094. Still have that good traction but not as much flipping over and behaving like a turtle.

One thing I would change right away are the tires. They make a huge difference. Even with 500k in the center diff it still would not want to wheelie at all. No traction with those tires on my opinion. I opted for the popular 4s backflips.

For shock oil I use the stock 2000cst. Not sure what the weight equivalent is.
Interesting. I will look into the shim kit. If its going to be behaving badly doing lots of wheelies then maybe 300K would be a better choice over 500K. I will keep an open mind and give it a try. It's still damn exciting.
Cheers Bud,

I bought a Talion EXB a week ago and ran it in its stock form before changing oils. Now running 50f/500c/30r and it handles fantastic on dirt/grass, slides the rear fantastically. I am tempted to put 50k in the rear to match the front to see if I can gain any more performance. On road it opened the door to agility in turns and can do some pretty gnarly drifts and donuts without lifting much. Feels way more controllable. Now I need to bump up the pinion for a bit more speed and I think I will be set.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back