Diff build with Mugen parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonUF02

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Nero
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Outcast 4s
Hi all, I've had some question about this mod to the diff using Mugen parts. Here are some pics and details.

Purchased complete Mugen MBX7 differential from DollarHobbyz.com

https://www.dollarhobbyz.com/products/mugen-1-8-mgt7-eco-front-or-rear-differential

Currently that specific kit is sold out, but there are others that will work, any MBX7 diff, front, center, or rear.

I tossed out the Mugen cup and spur gear and used the HR aluminum diff cup for Arrma AON1101

From the Mugen kit I used all the internal gears, shims, o-rings, and the output drive cups. The only internal Arrma parts kept were the two cross shafts holding the planetary gears, as the Mugen were just a hair too long to fit the Arrma cup. The kit also came with sealed bearings and an extra "mystery spacer" shim for the outer bearing.

I built up the diff as in my exploded view picture. I had to leave out the large shim between the sun gear and spur gear, as it was too tight to move with this extra shim on both sides. After that, everything is nice and tight but smooth, no play at all. Use the diff oil of your choice. One comment was to add double or triple gaskets between the cup and gear to get the extra sun gear shim in there if you choose, that may work.

The Mugen drive cups are definitely higher quality, the shim kit is available separately, and they are slightly thicker than stock Arrma shims, that is a must if rebuilding with Arrma gears. The Mugen internal gears appear to be better quality and cut than Arrma.

20170801_131413.jpg 20170801_132041.jpg 20170801_204545.jpg

Defo plan to try this in the future, does it make any difference that those bigger gears are just 18t and not 20t ?

I looked back at the pictures I took of the gears side by side. Both sun and planetary have fewer but thicker teeth. I think it makes no difference.

20170801_131555.jpg 20170801_131447.jpg

It will make a difference but not sure if it will be noticeable. Think of it as going from a 20t spur to an 18t spur except it only happens when the diff is in action.

Yes, people have put the center directly in. Said there is a slight rub that goes away.

Sounds good. Each one built this way is about $50 in parts, so I'll replace as they break, if ever, or when I get around to it. Thought this one had bad gears in it, but ended up just being the center drive cup loose set screw.

Wow! Very nice. Will definitely pick this up when available. States Front/Rear but assume can use for center diff too correct?

F/C/R really makes no difference because you're throwing out the Mugen cup and spur gear, replace with Arrma Parts (or HR aluminum cup). The shims are pretty thick for shims.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back